Viewer Comments: Flu in Adults - Treatment

Cold & Flu Pictures Slideshow: 10 Facts About Flu Shots

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Flu in Adults:

Flu in Adults - Treatment

What treatments and medications helped to alleviate your flu symptoms?

Comment from: KathyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I found nothing much alleviated my flu symptoms. I have had this for over a week. It began actually 2 weeks ago. I felt slightly lightheaded, took the day off and went back to work. By Thursday, I left early sick and went to the doctor on Friday. I had blister pack, Tamiflu and antibiotic. Nothing except maybe blister pack alleviated symptoms and only slightly. I had no fever. Nose and throat first felt like I was in the swimming pulled upside down with water down my nose. By Monday I was coughing and hacking away. By following Thursday my husband was sick too. He won't take anything, afraid it will mess up his prostate as some cold medicines have. I think it is useless to take anything and just let it run. I had flu shot, yes.

Comment from: Sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm using 12 hour Claritin for the sinus congestion, DayQuil and NyQuil for the chest congestion and body aches, and a diffuser with eucalyptus and peppermint oil drops at night. I am getting a lot of rest and fluids. I did have the flu vaccine.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I started out going home after work on a Friday with feeling of col and sore throat. I stayed in bed most of the weekend. I went back to work on Monday and by Wednesday was coughing my head literally off. I left work and it has been tougher than I've ever had it in my life; cough so hard and so deep, hoarseness, aching all over, nose drainage, ears popping, very tired and weak. Drink lots of fluids and rest, and yes we had the flu shot in October. This stuff will kill you, no doubt.

Comment from: flusux, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

My flu is going on 4 days now. No relief, severe muscle aches, heavy chest congestion, and difficulty getting up. I am using Sudafed.

Must Read Articles Related to Flu in Adults

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever...learn more >>
Flu Vaccine
Flu Vaccine Flu vaccines may be composed of weakened l...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Flu in Adults:

Flu in Adults - Home Remedies

Please describe your home remedies for the flu.

Flu in Adults - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with flu?