Flu in Adults

What treatments and medications helped to alleviate your flu symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: KathyP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I found nothing much alleviated my flu symptoms. I have had this for over a week. It began actually 2 weeks ago. I felt slightly lightheaded, took the day off and went back to work. By Thursday, I left early sick and went to the doctor on Friday. I had blister pack, Tamiflu and antibiotic. Nothing except maybe blister pack alleviated symptoms and only slightly. I had no fever. Nose and throat first felt like I was in the swimming pulled upside down with water down my nose. By Monday I was coughing and hacking away. By following Thursday my husband was sick too. He won't take anything, afraid it will mess up his prostate as some cold medicines have. I think it is useless to take anything and just let it run. I had flu shot, yes.

Comment from: Sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm using 12 hour Claritin for the sinus congestion, DayQuil and NyQuil for the chest congestion and body aches, and a diffuser with eucalyptus and peppermint oil drops at night. I am getting a lot of rest and fluids. I did have the flu vaccine.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I started out going home after work on a Friday with feeling of col and sore throat. I stayed in bed most of the weekend. I went back to work on Monday and by Wednesday was coughing my head literally off. I left work and it has been tougher than I've ever had it in my life; cough so hard and so deep, hoarseness, aching all over, nose drainage, ears popping, very tired and weak. Drink lots of fluids and rest, and yes we had the flu shot in October. This stuff will kill you, no doubt.

Comment from: flusux, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

My flu is going on 4 days now. No relief, severe muscle aches, heavy chest congestion, and difficulty getting up. I am using Sudafed.

Jefferson, T., et al. "Neuraminidase inhibitors for preventing and treating influenza in healthy adults and children." Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4 Apr. 10, 2014:CD008965. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD008965.pub4.

Mandell, Douglas, John E. Bennett, and Raphael Dolin. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. Seventh Edition. "Influenza Viruses, Including Avian Influenza and Swine Influenza." Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2010.

Switzerland. World Health Organization. "Influenza." <http://www.who.int/topics/influenza/en/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Seasonal Influenza (Flu)." <http://CDC.gov/flu>.

United States. Department of Health & Human Services. "Seasonal Flu."