Flu in Adults

What symptoms did you experience with flu? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: delayeddeltoidpain, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

In early February, I had the usual flu symptoms (fever, muscle aches, respiratory inflammation, runny nose and cough); tested positive for influenza B. Illness was short (4 days) and fairly mild, presumably because I was vaccinated (late October). While ill, I had a very painful inflammation of the right deltoid muscle, right where I was previously vaccinated, absent of injury or strain; wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: Jenny S, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

My flu symptoms are constant coughing, fever, sweats, stomach ache, diarrhea, fainting, weakness, muscle aches and pain, changes in taste, loss of appetite, and feelings of despair.

Comment from: stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

The child at the table next to ours had a hard dry cough. I recognized that odd cough 48 hours later. The first sign of flu was a hard dry nonproductive cough you just could not stop. Eight hours later I was in so much pain in my abdomen I thought I was the sit-up champion. Still no phlegm but the pain was tremendous for 2 days. That first night the chills were bad. I could not sleep at 5 am, checked my temperature and it was 101.9. I took Tylenol every 6 hours, now day 3, and fever broke twice. Never had a temperature this high.

Comment from: Gaboy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

This is day if of Flu A, and my symptoms are chills and fatigue. My blood pressure has been up and I have night sweats. Wonder if others have chest discomfort or stomach discomfort.

Comment from: LateReaction, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

In early February, my right-arm deltoid muscle became acutely sore one morning. By mid-day, I had diffuse muscle aches all over. By evening, I had a fever and felt like death. Because I was vaccinated for the flu in late October (flu shot in the right deltoid), I was surprised to test positive for influenza B. The flu lasted 5 days and was mild (probably due to the vaccine). The acute deltoid pain waned with the other symptoms. Weird to have late acute reaction at the location of flu shot.

Comment from: Lu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I went to bed exactly one week ago today, and started a dry hacking cough and runny nose. As I lay there, I could feel myself feeling worse and worse. I have had major headaches, body aches, chills and fever. This flu has been constant for 6 days. Last night I woke up soaking wet and thought to myself “finally, I broke my fever!” But, as today progressed, I was mistaken. My fever has run between 99.7 to 101.8. Today it’s just as high as it’s ever been. I am wondering how long a fever lasts!

Comment from: Ginger49, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Mostly I had body soreness from flu. It was a pain that felt like I was beat up. I also had a high fever and cough. A bad rash with sores appeared on my chest. I also got very depressed and cried a lot.

Comment from: boflo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

First couple of days of flu was low grade fever, light headedness, chills. I have no more fever or dizziness but it has moved to my tonsils now on day 5. They feel very inflamed and I have no voice. I have a deep chest cough.

Comment from: elleray, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

Tuesday evening my flu started with a headache and scratchy throat, 24 hours later I was stuck on the couch in immense pain between a headache, chills and body aches. Fever of 101 to 103 on and off for 5 days. Day 3 I went to the doctor and fainted in the office. The 5th day was the worst, my lungs felt like cement and I could not stop coughing. My throat was so swollen from coughing I thought it would close. It is 16 days after first symptoms and I still have a chesty cough and some congestion. Still fatigued at times.

Comment from: William, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I woke up Wednesday morning with dry cough, headache, chills, and low grade fever. Now I am in day five with little change. I had my flu shot in October. Some say just ride it out and stay hydrated. Wonder if I should go to Ready Care to be sure.

Comment from: Greengoddess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I am on day 4 with flu and I still have a headache, although my fever is gone as are the chills and aches in my body. The worst part now is the dry cough. I did cough up mucus once today and it was so thick and gross. I fear coughing mucus up as much as I would vomiting. I also feel lightheaded and weak. My nose is a bit stuffy but that could also be from crying. I’m alone and I hate suffering. I still made it to the store today. I felt nauseous and only ate ramen soup. Is there a delete button for life!

SLIDESHOW

A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference See Slideshow
Comment from: ughh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Days 1 to 3 of flu were the worst for me. Days 1 to 3 I felt the same as the other commenters (body aches, fever, chills and sweats). Absolutely horrible. I drank lots of tea and took ibuprofen, as well as my regular vitamins. It is day five now, I am still hot and sweaty, but no chills. I also have aches but mostly in my head and neck. My nose has started running and diarrhea has become a problem. I have had a steady cough the whole time. I am getting very tired of being sick and marooned to a couch. I do not believe my anxiety, in regards to sitting around and not being productive, is helping.

Comment from: Scarlett, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I'm on day six of the flu. It's been horrible! The first four days I had body aches, fever of 101, congestion, coughing, yesterday morning diarrhea started, and it's still going on today. I was so hungry I had eight crackers, eight! I've literally consumed nothing but crackers and ginger ale. I hope this is over soon. I want to crawl into a hole and die.

Comment from: Mpri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I started with a fever on New Year’s, had aches, pains, congestion, and runny nose. It has been 6 days and now I'm vomiting today, it will be a week tomorrow. I've had the flu before but just regular flu, no vomiting and the vomiting flu. Can’t understand why it has been a week and now I'm vomiting, wondering if it could be something else. I can’t feel better and my stomach aches.

Comment from: Cherry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My flu symptoms are hoarseness, coughing, soreness and tiredness. My arm was swollen so bad and my left breast was enlarged. I’m coughing really bad.

Comment from: AuntJanet , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Today is 1.3.2020 – I was unvaccinated and exposed to flu 'A' on 12.24.19. I had minor cough, and unwell feeling on 12/25. By 12/26 I had intense chills, fever, deeper cough, chest pains, and high blood pressure. Fever of 100, cough, sinusitis, and fatigue continued 5 days straight (took OTC medicines). New Year’s Eve, I had super congested head and chest, and low grade fever. January 1, 2020 I started getting my appetite back, and fever was gone, but wheezing, cough, sinusitis and fatigue lingered. On 1/3/20 add diarrhea.

Comment from: Binghi, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

Day 1 of flu, something was not quite right with me, but I was still able to function. Day 2, I had intense chills, aches and pains everywhere, nerves on fire, fever, but still had appetite. Day 3, I had more intense flu symptoms, crazy chills, then sweating. Added a few new conditions of earache and was also coughing up globules of thick, green phlegm. Day 4, broke fever and chills, but headache, dizziness and earache remained. Day 5, I have no fever or chills, just feel weakened, and get dizzy easily.

Comment from: Yesh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

This is day 5 of the flu and I don’t remember it ever being this bad. First 3 days came with every symptom of the flu as well as me losing about 5 pounds. It’s day 5 and although 2 hours ago I felt actually kind of good, that ended with me throwing up the little bit of food I tried to eat. Another sleepless, painful night, here I come.

Comment from: Bella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

Fever, chills, a splitting headache, sore throat, body aches and pain are my flu symptoms. Please note I got my annual flu shot on early November.

Comment from: nothaynks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I'm on day 4 of the flu, a very strange and 'light' flu for me this season, I'm used to very intense flu. This time I had very little fever, nothing over 100, for only about a day and a half, headache more than a fever, terrible body aches on day 3, fatigue for the first 3 days of the flu, and a little vomiting here and there. I finally decided to go into urgent care on day 4 because I couldn't tell if it was a cold or flu and I feel much better already. Good luck everyone, stay healthy.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I'm on day 4 of the flu. I've had terrible migraine between my eyes for 3 days. I had extreme chills and woke up with my pajamas soaking wet for 3 days. I was sleeping with 5 blankets due to the chills. Fever broke on the 4th day. I threw up on day 1. I can’t eat, no appetite. I have a swollen throat and body pains are the worst I've ever felt. I've taken Theraflu drink mix, Tylenol cold and flu and NyQuil. I just feel weak and tired and this is one of the worst sicknesses. It feels like death.

QUESTION

Which illness is known as a viral upper respiratory tract infection? See Answer
Comment from: MIGirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I felt tired going to work but had a busy weekend prior. As I was leaving, I started getting a sore throat and my skin felt prickly. Two hours later I had flu with full chills and body aches. Sore throat was worse. Temperature was 104.1! It came down to 101 with Tylenol. It did that for 2 days then stayed at 100 to 101 with or without Tylenol. Day 4 I got lots of postnasal drip, causing irritation cough and hoarseness. Steaming with oregano oil, taking oscillococcinum, vitamin C, zinc, echinacea, and lots of herbal teas!

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I am on day 7 with flu and still feeling really nauseous. I had a little walk out to see if that helped. I’ve been in bed since Sunday! I have high temperature coming and going, cracking headache, blurred vision, and chills with aches and pains all over. Felt like I was dying as I couldn’t eat could. To lift my head off the pillow scary!

Comment from: sick girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had my flu shot! Thursday flu started with the sinuses, I thought maybe allergies. Friday sinus, cough, chills, and fever. The chill part is the worst, aches to my bones and I can’t get warm! So I am happy when the fever kicks back in and I am pouring sweat. Saturday I could not get out of bed and managed to eat a little soup. I woke up this morning feeling like someone had kicked me all night long in my abdomen/back. The pain when I cough or sneeze makes me cry. I hope this ends soon.

Comment from: No appetite , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I started to feel horrible from flu 4 days ago. After work I came home and sat down feeling fine, within 15 to 20 minutes I had strange sinus pressure. A few hours later I had body aches that felt like a truck hit me. My hair hurt. My veins hurt. My head hurt. I felt as if someone was sitting on my chest and both nostrils plugged. 4 days in and my anxiety is unreal. I blow my nose, and there is tons of thick, yellow, rubbery mucus and small bits of blood. I have a strange shakiness in my head and tension. Flu is no joke.

Comment from: Miserable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

My flu symptoms are severe sore throat, cough, runny nose, congestion, headache, chills and body aches, but no fever.

Comment from: Darling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I've never had the flu before but I think I have it now. About five days ago I started having a bad headache and found out that I was running a fever. I've been having severe body aches and muscle aches. I am really confused because I had no cold like symptoms at all! No sneezing, coughing, sore throat until yesterday. Yesterday, I started sneezing and coughing and everything taste like infection. I started feeling better, then I start feeling bad again. This is the most horrible I've ever felt.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I suddenly got a headache, followed by nausea achy yuck feeling. I feel tired and Headache continues. I took Tylenol, it helped the flu but there is Nausea yet. No vomit and no diarrhea, but I feel awful. Symptoms came on suddenly. I was ok all day.

Comment from: Sickofsick, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

In October 2019 I had flu. It came on fast, started with chills, body ache, and scratchy throat. It progressed quickly; by the next day I had severe chills, body ache, sneezing and coughing, sinus plug pressure and sore ears. It landed me in bed almost. By midnight I had vomiting and diarrhea, and heart palpitations. I was sleepy for 3 days only arising to go to bathroom or get more water. I treated myself with garlic, ginger, honey hot tea and lots of bed rest and water. Day 4 I am still sick but better; seems like this flu comes on hard and heavy but eases faster than last year.

Comment from: Pam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am having horrible hand and arm pain and terrible swelling with flu.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I got flu 3 weeks ago and it came on all of a sudden. I had fever, and my whole body hurt like I had done 24 hours straight in the gym! Chesty cough, headache, and a slight cold, lasted about 5 or 6 days, but now a week on from starting to feel a bit more human, the cough has got worse, my glands are swollen in my neck, and I feel really ill and weak. Wondering if it is turning into bronchitis, but weird how I felt a little better but feel worse again.

Comment from: Blake, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I have flu and I feel achy, my muscles are sore, and I am feeling cold when it's hot. And feeling hot with 103 fever, but no sore throat.

Comment from: Hayhay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I woke up this morning after sleeping for 12 hours feeling achy, so I took some ibuprofen to make the pain go away. I ate a bagel with cream cheese and went on with my day. I started feeling flu like again a couple hours later, just very achy, so I went to bed for an hour or so and woke up to throw up my bagel. I’ve been trying to drink fluids. I have on and off shivers and my back is killing me.

Comment from: Yvonne, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: September 04

My flu started with an itchy nose, then a sore throat, then chills, then the sweats, nausea, headache, and weakness; I felt awful. I went to the doctor and got IV fluids. I still have chills, sweating and exhaustion. I am very depressed and too sick to work.

Comment from: Tag, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

My flu symptoms are swollen sinus, headaches, stomach pain and nausea, chills, and fever.

Comment from: Azteca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My body aches and after having the flu which has been more than 2 months, it still hurts. I am not sure if that is normal. I also been having a cough since the flu.

Comment from: Mel145, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I got sick with flu on the 26th of June. I showed a few symptoms the night before and woke up with fever and congestion. Since then I’ve had no appetite, persistent vomiting (I assume from all the coughing), fatigue, fever and chills, weakness, diarrhea, and dry eyes. On Monday 1st of July around 7pm I started to get my appetite (no more vomiting) and sense of taste back. Fever since then has come and gone. I’m on day 8 wondering when this will end, it’s by far the worst I’ve ever felt!

Comment from: Steph917, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

My flu began Thursday evening with a sudden burning chest pain that went into my throat. I thought it was severe heartburn. That chest pain and painful throat didn’t subside for days. I also felt extremely fatigued and had a low grade fever. The next morning, Friday, I woke up in a sweat with a fever of 102.4 and a splitting headache. I slept most of the day, alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen and eating apple sauce and broths. That continued through Sunday. Monday I am finally fever free but weak.

Comment from: Lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I've been home sick with the flu for 3 weeks. I am feeling better but still not 100 percent, I have fatigue and feel weak still. Doctors say it is normal and I am still recovering. I am worried.

Comment from: doinkdoink, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I felt run down last 24 hours, coughing, and couldn't fall asleep, was tossing and turning. Today I had a massive headache and brief coughing fit. Felt nauseous after eating a light lunch. Then I started to have this melting feeling I get whenever I come down with the flu. It's not entirely unpleasant. Just this heavy wave of sinking down into myself. Now I have the chills and feel sluggish. No appetite either.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

It’s my day 15 with flu now. Appetite is returning though it is far from normal. The 2 huge concerns now are that even though I want to go out or start housework, etc., I become overwhelmed with exhaustion within about 10 minutes of walking. The 2nd worry is the constant rubbery feeling in all my muscles, especially my legs. I had the horrible aches and misery of the flu but expected the rubbery exhaustion to be gone by now. I wonder if there is anyone else 15 plus days out and still has that rubbery feeling and exhaustion.

Comment from: Rudi1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

Last weekend I felt like I might be coming down with a cold and by Monday I realized I did have a cold... runny nose, stuffed head/sinuses and general fatigue. I had to work Wednesday and I did go in and work a full day but didn't feel like I was shaking the cold like I normally would. When I blew and still blow my nose bright thick yellow mucus cones out. I still feel weak, feverish, food doesn't look good, foggy mentally, and clammy. The flu is not abating and the last two days I slept round the clock.

Comment from: indelwyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My flu started with a tickle on Friday night. Saturday morning I felt awful with headache, cough and nausea. Later that day, my fever started at 100.7 after which I had the worst chills. They were so painful! Saturday night to Monday morning I had fever of 101.8 to 102.6, sore throat, headache (never went away), body aches, lots of coughing, and vomiting. I also had chills again - very painful. The doctor gave me Tamiflu on Sunday. Monday I had low grade fever and chills but not painful, cough is less, but body is sore! It hurts terribly to cough.

Comment from: Mstanek434 , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Thursday I woke up miserable with headache, body aches, fever, annoying dry cough, and chills that would not stop! I lay in bed covered in 5 heavy blankets because of the chills. I could barely make it to the bathroom for the next 2 days because of the chills. I woke up a few times soaked in sweat and had to change. So uncomfortable. I went to urgent care and was diagnosed with flu (influenza A strain). I got my flu shot! Sunday chills subsided. Monday I missed work. I am still coughing, tired and have fever. Ugh!

Comment from: yingbby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I am 42 years old, and my fever started 2 days ago at 101.7, peaked at 102.2 on day 1, 102.8 on day 2, 103.3, and now on day 3 (not peaking yet). No idea when I can get over this flu yet. I have heart palpitations (148 bpm), shortness of breath, chest pain, splitting headache, and dimming vision. High fever can be very uncomfortable, especially for adults.

Comment from: fee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am on day 5 of flu and it is awful. Feels like every bone in my body is broken, my head is exploding if I cough or bend over. My fever broke this morning but I feel 10 times worse. That just doesn’t seem right. I made a turmeric ginger tea and am hoping it will help. Fever was as high as 103, usually between 101 and 103 the whole time. I felt a bit better yesterday when I had the fever but now am worse so it is confusing.

Comment from: Kristin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am on my 4th day with flu and almost all of it has been on the couch or in bed. I have not had a thing to eat (yesterday some chicken broth). I was advised by an urgent care doctor, to take ibuprofen and paracetamol. I threw up the contents of my stomach because duh, you’re supposed to eat with it. Trust me, don’t take if you’re empty. Also, from not drinking enough water while feverish I brought on a urinary tract infection (bladder infection) where you get pain while urinating. So I am now on antibiotics.

Comment from: Lorilo, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 11

Over the weekend, I started with a fever of 101, entire body aching, weakness, lethargy, and coughing. Last night, the flu turned into gastrointestinal symptoms - stomach ache and nausea. No diarrhea but I keep vomiting. I woke up this morning throwing up and just vomited again in the pail. This sickness seems never-ending.

Comment from: Isabella, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I am on day 5 of my flu. Symptoms are headache and fever, mostly. But I am also having a chest discomfort and lots of body aches when the fever rises. I am taking ibuprofen or ketoprofen, it helps but not totally. Certainly the worst flu I have ever had.

Comment from: Onesickmama, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

It started with a slight weakness after a 5 day weekend with my flu ridden kids so thought it was just lack of sleep. But day one I felt like Jell-O. Day two same thing and was tired. Day three I woke up from a nap and almost fell over and couldn’t hold anything up. Then I got chills and a low fever. Next day I was exhausted and glued to the toilet. Nausea but no puking. Day 4 same thing. Then aches at bedtime. Day 5 now, I am in bed and just so exhausted, and my muscles just don’t want to work at all.

Comment from: Vns, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I started with a sore throat and stuffed nose. But the fly quickly got worse with a fever of 103 plus. I had extreme fatigue, body and headaches. Fever broke on the 3rd day, but still no energy to do anything, and no appetite. I can only eat fruits, but am feeling better. I took turmeric spiced milk on day 3, maybe it helped me.

Comment from: Tilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

This is day 17 of my flu. It started with general unwellness and runny nose/headache, and overwhelming tiredness. I am 54, not vaccinated against flu but had come back from holiday the week before after flying for 20 hours. Tiredness and general feeling of body aches and unwellness was overwhelming. I couldn’t stand without feeling dizzy, giddy. I couldn’t eat, sneezing, chest tight. Just wanted to sleep. After two weeks I have chesty cough still, am very tired (could easily take a couple of exhausted naps during day), but eating now.

Comment from: Wendy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

This is day 10 with flu and I am still miserable. I started feeling the symptoms on May 11 with a sore throat. I got pinkeye too which went away but now it is back. Runny then stuffy nose, sometimes still runny, and cough keeps me up at night. My diaphragm (I think) so painful from coughing, made it very hard to sleep. Every time I coughed, I have extreme pain at bottom of my ribs. The night of the 19th was the worst so far. Now my throat is achy, I am still coughing, and have feelings of what seems like delirium - a kind of weakness, brain not working normal, thoughts are dream-like. This seems like the worst case of flu I've had. I've often thought in the past, if this is still going on when I'm old and my children don't need me, I'm just going to commit suicide. It's just so horrible. Not planning to do that now though. Hoping I've turned a corner. Hope it doesn't last too much longer.

Comment from: GuayaGirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I’ve got the flu at the moment, it began last week Tuesday with muscle aches all over my body. The muscle aches continued until day 5. I had a fever on Tuesday and Wednesday, of about 99 degrees Celsius but that stopped the 3rd day. I still felt excessively cold every single day until today. I have had diarrhea every single morning since it began. Hoping that’s over tomorrow or soon. I had some throat swelling and pain by the end of the 3rd/4th day and when the doctor checked it out they said it doesn’t look like strep throat, definitely just sore throat from its appearance. It is day 6 and I’m feeling much better. My throat is still a little sore and I’m coughing about 5 to 10 times a day but other than that I almost feel normal. I hope I’ll be completely healed soon.

Comment from: Peacana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

My flu symptoms are body aches, chills, fever, headache, and I am waking up soaking and wet.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Day 1 of flu, I had severe fatigue all day, then at 6 PM chills and headache began. I had fever 2 hours later, 101.2. Day 2, I had severe weakness, was in bed all day and night, dizzy and passed out in the bathroom during the night. I had a fever 103, and bad headache. Acetaminophen alternating with ibuprofen helped but only a little. Days 3 to 5, I was too weak to sit up for more than a few minutes, and had headache and fever between 101 and 103. Above medicines were helping some. Day 6, finally I felt strong enough to sit up on couch part of the day, walk out to the yard, and sit in the sun. Fever was 100 to 101, and I had headache with shooting pains. Day 7, I feel weaker again, fever and headache continue. I am using acetaminophen and ibuprofen to help the headache. Fever is down to 99.6 now and I am able to be up on couch part of the day. When does this end! Not yet!

Comment from: Jkerswill01, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My flu symptoms started on Monday, got worse as the night went on. My body ached, and I had 101 fever and sore throat. Tuesday I woke up feeling the same, just adding a yucky cough and congestion. Wednesday I went to the doctor because all of the symptoms started to just get worse adding in a mild ear pain. The doctor said I had blisters in the back of my throat and that my ear was infected. He advised rest and fluids! Thursday I felt like I was getting a little better but still had fever and headaches. I woke up Friday with severe ear pain, throwing up and stomach pains in the upper part of my belly; back to body aches and no appetite. I too had a flu shot before this 2018 flu season started and I can’t believe I feel this terrible.

Comment from: Nan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I experienced stabbing chest pain which I thought was reflux. The flu got very bad that night, I had 101 fever, chills, extreme body ache, congestion and headache. That was Monday April 30. Fever stopped on Friday. I missed work that entire week, and did not go to the doctor. I took Tylenol and a lot of water, saline solution. Now it is May 8th. I am a lot better but still not well. I still have cough and severe fatigue. No appetite. When will this end!

Comment from: Mark K., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

Sunday, early morning I started with mild flu symptoms. On Tuesday I had itchy sinuses and throat tickle. By Wednesday I took to bed with crushing fatigue, very stuffy nose, and keep-awake cough. I also had very slight fever, 101 F, but every part of my body hurt, including my skin and even my eyes ached. No sore throat, no headache. Weakness was like nothing I have ever experienced! I got tummy symptoms on Thursday with diarrhea. Bowels were loose. Also on Thursday, I had hypotension crisis. Normally I have slightly-to-moderately high pressure that responds to medications. I started feeling faint with fading field of vision. I took pressure with an accurate machine and cross checked manually. Pressure was 84/48! I self-treated with strong coffee, nicotine and exercise. I lost appetite and lost 10 lb., and gained some back. Now fever is 101.1, fatigue and apathy still almost debilitating. I am weak and unsteady on my feet still. And the skin on my back is so painful I cannot lie on my back. Appetite for most favorite foods returning some. This was the worst flu ever! Wife now has it. Poor thing!

Comment from: Karine , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I also thought I was in the clear, I had not contracted the flu this season. Surprise! On May 2nd I woke up with scratchy throat, chills, runny nose and in pain all over my body. I was so weak I did not get out of bed for 4 days, and that only to go to my doctor. She confirmed it was the flu and recommended lots of rest and fluids. I'm on day 5, my sinus are very congested and I have a constant dry cough. My body aches are gone but I'm still very weak and spent the day on the couch watching Netflix. This is the worst flu! When will it end!

Comment from: Cindy , 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 03

I'm a nurse educator. April 30, I was thinking the flu season is over, and I made it! No, I was wrong! Now I've had 102 to 103 fever for 3 days. My hips and low back started hurting, and so I went to a chiropractor. That evening fever shot up to 103, and I had severe body aches, headaches, fatigue and weakness. The only respiratory problem was stuffy nose. I had to crawl to the bathroom because I felt like I would pass out. Then the stomach cramps and diarrhea started. Currently I'm on day 3 of fever, aches, light sensibility and weakness.

Comment from: Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

This 2018 flu is the worst flu I've had in years and I even had the flu shot before the flu season started. It started with severe dry cough, then a horrible sore throat along with chills, fever, fatigue, body aches, headaches and diarrhea. It's now been 12 days and I'm gaining a tiny bit of strength back but still not well. I was put on antibiotics by my doctor a few days ago and my throat is no longer killing me like before. My throat felt like I had blisters and I don't even have any tonsils. My cough sounds horrible but hopefully I will feel better by next week. My doctor said patients are still coming in with this nasty flu bug.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I was already in a weakened state when I contracted the flu. I think that’s why I got it as I haven’t been sick in 11 years. I had jaw pain which was actually an infected tooth nerve that prevented me from sleeping for days and I barely ate. I went to busy places which is where my boyfriend contracted it and some days later I got symptoms. However in our case it is not so severe. What I experienced was a start with coughing and mild fever, 2 days later fever of 38 degrees Celsius so I was soaking the bed at night, as well as achy skin and muscles. I have light sensitivity as well and pain near sinuses between eyes when looking left or right with just my eyes. I didn’t take any medicine to suppress fever because fever is good for you unless it is too high. Fever is gone but sporadically can come back a little bit. The cough and fatigue are the most annoying, to be honest. I have made sure to drink lots and eat healthy nutritious food and some superfoods. It is day 6 now and I am still in bed all day. I don’t really feel poorly but I just feel so tired. I am self-employed so try to go to my desk and work a bit, but fatigue drives me back to my bed and laptop. I am watching shows all day pretty much. Light sensitivity comes back usually in the afternoon but not really bad as I can still look at the PC screen or TV. I heard it can take weeks for it to go, so I am slowly going to try to get some more work done and hopefully get a bit less tired every day. Boyfriend is already better and going to the store to get lots of fruit. His only symptom left is coughing. We are lucky that for us the symptoms are not extreme, a friend of mine had it much worse, but he is also already back at work.

Comment from: camping gal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 06

She was diagnosed by the doctor with flu 5 weeks ago. I have fever, a slight cough, aches and pains, severe pain throughout body, and my skin is red but it is not a rash. Ankles, hands, and fingers are swollen. She is feeling better at last. I think she had another ailment along with the flu but she denies. She was more or less quarantined from December 20.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My flu symptoms started Wednesday morning with a scratchy throat. By that night, the fever had started, chills, extreme headache, backache, stiff neck, pain behind my eyes, etc. These pains were awful. My skin is also tender to the touch. As long as I take Tylenol or ibuprofen every 5 to 6 hours, it seems to keep the pain at bay, but if I fail to take the medicines, the ache is unbearable. I've had some coughing, sinus congestion, runny nose, sore throat, and hoarseness, but nothing too bad.

Comment from: Gidget, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I can tell you the minute I developed symptoms of flu. It was 3 p.m. on Friday, January 20. I left work early feeling the tickle of a sore throat along with a dry cough. I also felt flushed. I thought it was the start of a cold, so I attended a meeting that night. I sure wish I hadn't! There were quite a few older people there. By Saturday, I was bed bound. Even getting out of bed to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water was absolutely exhausting. The worst part were the body aches and the weakness. I didn't 'feel' bad necessarily, I just had zero energy, a fever with chills, and slight pains all over my body. By Sunday, I stayed awake the entire day. I think my fever broke on Sunday afternoon. So Monday morning, I got out of bed intending to go to work. After standing in the shower for maybe 5 minutes, I was exhausted. I literally crawled back into my bed still dripping wet and slept for two hours. I called in sick to work. Today is day five. I am at work, but I am extremely weak. After walking the 400 feet or so from the parking lot and up two flights of stairs to my desk, I had to rest. I felt like I had just finished a marathon. At this point, weakness, a little sinus pressure, and muscle aches seem to be my only symptoms.

Comment from: DaisyFields, Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My husband, age 68, has been running a fever for the past two and a half days. The fever has ranged between 100.2 and 102.2. Other than sleeping constantly he has no other flu symptoms.

Comment from: LoieAnn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

My flu started out with severe aching all over my body and I had chills and a fever of 100.9, but it felt higher than that, as I hadn't run a temperature since I was a child. It lasted 5 days of having a fever and it was mostly at night. I took Tylenol and drank a lot of water and juice. This is day 11 and I am still feeling weak. I did not have any other symptoms.

Comment from: jj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I experienced runny nose and itchy eyes over the weekend. Tuesday morning I woke up to severe diarrhea and vomiting. By Wednesday I felt a little better but was totally weak and wiped out by the flu. I could not go to work all week. It is now Friday and I still have stomach cramps and diarrhea.

Comment from: pinkfloydguy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I travelled from Cleveland to Dallas to visit a friend. When I arrived he became ill and was shivering on the couch for 2 days. I flew back home and sure enough, it got me. Started out with mild cough that quickly turned nasty with fever and extreme chills. This is day 4 and I still can barely get out of bed. Even skin and hair are very sensitive. Cough and fever are a little better but body aches are still bad. This is the worst flu ever!

Comment from: Thomastune, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had body aches, fever, severe chills, headaches, and cough for 5 days now. Last night was the worst. I had flu swab done 3 days ago, but was negative. I don’t know what the heck I do have.

Comment from: Joshua busby, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I am not sure if it is flu, I'm on day 3. I have centralized chest pain, fever, cold sweats, skin hurts to touch and headaches. My bones and joints are achy. Chest paint went away after day two. No diarrhea. No vomiting. No nausea. I'm now considering going to the emergency room.

Comment from: Mary , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I had the flu for nearly 5 weeks. All the symptoms are gone except that I have no taste or smell. I wonder if anything could be wrong.

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

My boyfriend had a sinus-type cold when I returned from a trip. Within days, not only had I caught something from him, it hit so hard I wound up with pneumonia. The physician I went to see suggested that the night of chills and extreme pain I had experienced a few days earlier were actually the manifestation of type A influenza and it had, in fact, moved into my lungs. I was taking care of a hospice patient that whole time with no thought of my own health; that was a bad choice on my part, it really came to bite me, but I just kept going.

Comment from: JM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I went to doctor a week ago, with fever, sever congestion, cough, wiped out. He said it was allergies! It is clear now that I have the flu, as I thought. Worst case I've ever had (and yes, I did get the vaccine). I am still feeling lousy and having a hard time breathing. I wish he would have started me on Tamiflu. I'm having to cancel an out of state trip. But it makes me wonder how accurate the national reporting of where the flu is. Our area it is supposed to be low, but maybe that's just because you have doctors who don't diagnose it correctly.

Comment from: Gamz, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Five days after receiving flu with pneumonia shot, I got the chills and aching joints. So far no fever.

Comment from: victoria305, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I still don’t have any idea as to where I developed the flu. I’m in the hospital and I’m hacking up nasty stuff!

Comment from: ladyevitt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am still battling the flu as of yet. My doctor put me on Tamiflu also, only it made me feel worse. My fever would spike and my skin would hurt so badly from the most gentle of touches. I stopped taking the Tamiflu and my body aches were gone and my fever never came back. I still experienced moderately sensitive skin. During my follow up my Dr told me to continue my Tamiflu regimen. I began to take it again only to have the same problems as before I quit using it. I want to stop using it again.

Comment from: Bailey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

It began with sudden chills, headache, and a high fever. I was shaking so bad I couldn't move. I had a sore throat and coughing which lasted for weeks before it turned into pneumonia. I was sick for five months and I was bedridden the whole time.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

It started with stomach cramps and a runny nose. I thought it was allergies but, continued to get worse throughout the day. By Saturday morning I could not get out of bed and felt like a truck had run over me! I went to the doctor and started Tamiflu. Now I think I may be over the worst of it. I’m still in bed, but I’ve had a couple of hours of feeling a bit better. I hope this is the beginning of the end. I’ve never felt so bad.

Comment from: Poohsc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

Loss of appetite, fever, chills, headache, neck pain, and nausea.

Comment from: Gabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I'd had continuous head colds though out this winter. Last Sunday night I developed severe body aches, sore throat, cough, chills and a fever. My skin literally hurt and I felt weak and exhausted. I was so ill by Tuesday my husband took me to the doctor. I was diagnosed with Type A Influenza. On Wednesday I developed nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhea. It is now Friday and although the aches and pains have diminished I still have the stomach cramps, diarrhea, cough as well as episodes of going hot and cold. I feel very tired but hope I'm over the worst. It's the sickest I've been in many years. I might add I had the flu vaccination in early June!

Comment from: Sudesign, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was waking up in early am hours with a dry cough, my eyes were watery, red and dry and I woke up every morning with a migraine for about four days. The cough turned into a sore throat and then I felt weak, tired and aches all over, especially my neck and back.

Comment from: klarso, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My symptoms with the flu started on Friday, November 4th. I started to feel fatigue and not myself. On Saturday, I woke up and had no energy and had hives and a low grade fever. Sunday night, my fever was climbing and hit 103.3 and I struggled to get it down. Very achy; tired; then hot, then back to cold; no appetite; could barely move out of bed; bit of a sore throat and this is day 5 and I'm still feeling rugged. Lincoln, NE

Comment from: Chilidog, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I’ve been coughing relentlessly all night long, and I’ve had a continuous fever of 101 even with fever-reducing medicine. I’m experiencing disorientation in my dreams and going from cold to hot and back with periodic nausea. I’m going on day for with no relief.

Comment from: lourdes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was overworked and developed a sinus infection and heavy head cold, developed into flu. I had a dry cough, which then became productive, fever, headache and general weakness. Saw a doctor who put me on antibiotics for bronchitis.

Comment from: azmsmith, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with Type A Influenza. I have experienced extreme tiredness, weakness, burning eyes, runny nose, non-productive cough, fever, chills, and sensitive skin. The symptoms began to improve after the 5th day.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW