Flu Vaccine: Flu vaccines may be composed of weakened live flu viruses or killed viruses that protect a person from developing influenza once administered. Reactions to the seasonal flu and H1N1 flu nasal-spray vaccines and shots include headache, nasal congestion, low-grade fever, sore throat, and muscle cramps.
Flu in Children (Childhood Influenza) Children may become infected with influenza by inhaling infected droplets in the air or if they come in contact with secretions from an infected person. Symptoms in children include a high-grade fever up to 104 F, chills, headaches, sore throat, cough, and muscle aches. Treatment of flu in children involves rest, increased fluid intake, treating fever with acetaminophen or ibuprofen, using a humidifier, and using a rubber suction bulb to remove nasal secretions in younger children.
Expert Views and News
- Influenza Picking Up Speed Across US
- Influenza Season Has Officially Begun, CDC Says
- Should Flu Vaccine Be Mandatory for Medical Staff?
- Almost Half of U.S. Adults to Skip Flu Shot
- Almost Half of Americans to Skip Flu Shot
- Influenza Activity in US Rises Slightly
- Nurse Fired for Refusing Flu Shot, Protestors Say
- Flu Season May Not Have Peaked: CDC
- Medical Exemptions for Vaccines Up in California
- Several Influenza Deaths in US
- Flu Caused 80,000 Deaths in US Last Year
- Drug That Claims to Kill Flu as Soon as 1 Day
- Nasal Flu Vaccine Back on CDC List of Vaccines
- Influenza Hospitalizations Highest on Record
- Flu Vaccine Safe for Persons With Egg Allergy
- Seasonal Flu Deaths More Common Worldwide
- Influenza Activity Increasing in United States
- Experts Warn of Severe Influenza in 2017-2018
- Social Media Helps Moms Overcome Vaccine Fears
- Flu Vaccination Rates Among Healthcare Workers
- High-Dose Vaccine During Severe Flu Season
- CDC: Flu Season Has Started, Could Be Severe
- Flu Vaccine Coverage Remains Low This Year
- Who Should Get Vaccinated This Season?
- Should Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine Be Used?
- Flu Vaccine Nearly 60 Percent Effective
- Early Flu Treatment Helps Older People
- Flu Vaccine Just 18% Effective This Year
- Flu Remains Widespread in Much of U.S.
- CDC: Flu Vaccine Not Very Effective This Season
- Flu: Bad Season Getting Worse
- Flu Activity Up, Some Schools Closing
- Early Data Suggests Potentially Severe Flu Season
- This Year's Flu Vaccine Less Effective Than Hoped
- Flu Season is Around the Corner
- Flu Hit Younger People Hard This Season
- Are You at High Risk for Serious Illness from Flu?
- Tamiflu Shortage Again
- New Choices for Seasonal Flu Vaccines
- 2012-2013 Flu Season Drawing to a Close
- Flu Vaccines May Protect the Heart Too
- Half of Pregnant Women, Newborns Risk Flu
- New Swine Flu Outbreak: Case Count Rising
- H1N1 Flu Shot Appears Safe During Pregnancy
- It's Flu Season, CDC Says
- More People Getting Flu Shots This Year
- Pregnant Women Getting Flu Shots
- Flu Vaccine: Two-Thirds of Americans Will Get It
- Needle-Free Shots Make Vaccines Less Scary
- Kids Need Flu Shot Even if They Had One Last Year
- Vaccines for Teens: Still Room for Improvement
- Vaccines Generally Safe, Cause Few Health Problems
- Flu Vaccine Rates Are High for 2 Seasons in a Row
- FDA OKs Flu Shot With Smaller Needle
- Despite Warning, Babies Still Get Cough Medicine
- Flu: Most People With It Don't Stay Home
- Flu Vaccine: Infant Febrile Seizures Reported
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Flu Vaccine: Why Some Will Get It and Others Won't
- Flu Vaccine FAQ
- Flu Vaccine Arriving, Get Yours ASAP
- Swine Flu Vaccine: 1 in 4 Americans Got It
- Flu Vaccine for All
- Flu Shot: Just 1 Next Year
- H1N1 Swine Flu Shot for Kids
- H1N1 Swine Flu Shots for Kids Recalled
- Pregnant Women Wary of Swine Flu Shot
- Swine Flu Vaccine Delay Frustrating
- Seasonal Flu Shot Some Help vs. Swine Flu?
- Swine Flu Vaccine: Only 1/3 in U.S. Plan to Get It
- Flu Shot Beats Flu Spray for Young Adults
- Kids Need 2 Swine Flu Shots
- H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine Delayed
- WHO Promises H1N1 Swine Flu Vaccine for All
- Are You Hankering for a Swine Flu Vaccine?
- Swine Flu Vaccine: The Race Is On
- Swine Flu Vaccine Fast-Tracked to September?
- Swine Flu Vaccine by October, Say Makers
- Public Help Sought on Swine Flu Vaccine Call
- Pregnant Women First to Get Swine Flu Vaccine
- Swine Flu Vaccine at Least 6 Months Away
- Lupus Drugs Dull Flu Shots
- Flu Shot Beats Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine?
Flu Vaccine Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes: