Food Poisoning

Please describe your experience with food poisoning. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I went to lunch with a family member, and had steak and baked potato and salad. When the meal arrived, after having very little of it something didn't taste right. So I didn't eat much more. Around a few hours later I wasn't feeling good. I lay down in bed and was getting a very bad tummy ache. I couldn't relax, and finally it started around midnight. I got so sick, and the diarrhea was horrible. I have never felt like this before; thought I was dying. I made attempts to reach the bathroom four different times and never made it; oh my goodness, what a horrible mess! After 2 days I was still having nausea and such pain across my tummy I called the doctor. He prescribed nausea pills to take for two days and if pain or nausea was still there I had to have culture done. Now it is the third day, pain in the tummy is still there, and it hurts terribly. I need to follow up with the doctor again.

Comment from: Anonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Within 6 hours of eating Chinese food take out from a local restaurant my husband and I were both sick. I started first with diarrhea, then vomiting. My husband started within an hour after I started vomiting. I had chills and a terrible headache. That lasted about 10 hours. Eventually we were just left with nausea and extreme fatigue from the food poisoning.

Comment from: ronna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Do not buy the packaged salads from the deli department of the grocery store! You have zero idea on how sanitary the preparation was! I ate the salad and by the next day my stomach felt like it had a bowling ball inside! By that night the runs began and continued all night until I was empty. Along with shivers and headache it was horrible, and messy. Lesson learned: buy your own salad ingredients and wash them yourself!

Comment from: ChicagoTeacher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had diarrhea the day before I got the terrible stomach pain and vomiting from food poisoning. I've never vomited more than once before. Usually I vomit and then feel better. This time I vomited 7 times over the span of 10 hours. The pain was crazy! Then I had leg and buttock cramps. I took ibuprofen and kept drinking as much water as I could. After two days of this I felt better, although I was still weak and my abdomen was sore from all the vomiting.

Comment from: Naomi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I woke up early in the morning (3:30) with nausea which eventually became 'throw up'. Since then I have thrown up about 9 times; the last one just now at 11 AM. Diarrhea began shortly after the first throw up episode and I have had probably 12 to 13 episodes, the last one around 10:45 AM. I have not eaten anything, took Pepto-Bismol around 7:30 AM, but threw it up shortly afterwards. I had a clear drink similar to Sprite which resulted in the 11 AM throw up episode. I have chills, but no pain, and my tongue and teeth are black. Last meal was 2 BBQ hotlinks (fresh) and Spanish rice made from a packet of dried rice with seasoning. I had purchased it over a year ago, and feel this may be the cause. I have had food poisoning in the past, but it never lasted this long.

Comment from: Dorothy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I went to breakfast this morning with my church group to a local restaurant. I had eggs, sausage, home fried potatoes and biscuit. A bowl of gravy came with it. Within two hours after eating I had very bad diarrhea, and vomiting (both at the same time), profuse sweating and dizziness which lasted about an hour. I was very weak and cold because of the food poisoning. I went to bed under an electric blanket and slept for 3 1/2 hours. I haven't had any more diarrhea but have had very bad cramping and when I sit on the toilet, thinking I will have diarrhea, bright red blood runs out of my bottom. This has happened several times in the last 3 hours.

Comment from: Bear, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 22

My daughter started vomiting at about 10 pm last night and vomited every 45 to 60 minutes until this morning. She went to the toilet about 8 this morning and had diarrhea and hasn't vomited since but hasn't moved from the lounge and has slept on and off. She has had Hydralyte but can't eat anything and says she feels light headed and extremely weak. She had a fever on and off throughout the night and day. Hopefully we'll get some sleep tonight!

Comment from: SixMiles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I purchased spinach quiche from a local grocery store. Within a 12 hour period, I knew it was Salmonella food poisoning as I have had it once before. I had projectile vomiting and diarrhea same time, with severe dehydration and I was barely able to move. I had to lie still and wait for a modicum of energy to get water and something with potassium [cranberry juice] to replenish my muscles.

Comment from: RNchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had nausea vomiting watery diarrhea about 3 hrs after I ate. It was Mexican food with veggies, chicken and a glass of water. The vomiting and diarrhea were continuous every 15 minutes for 3 hours until I went to the hospital. I eventually became dizzy after all the fluid loss. They rehydrated me and gave anti nausea meds and eventually sent me home with more nausea meds. The diarrhea continued but vomiting subsided.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I ate out at a fried chicken place and got violently sick I was vomiting weak and couldn't stand diarrhea, dry mouth slurred speech and had to be rushed to the hospital. You never want to experience food poisoning.

Comment from: Laulee, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My husband ate out at a $30 burger place. He always orders his burgers cooked medium. About an hour after he ate he started feeling strange. The diarrhea began along with vomiting and severe abdominal pains. He called an ambulance for fear of food poisoning and spent an evening in the hospital on an IV. He unfortunately had to get on a plane the next day. I await him from out of town, preparing with Gatorade, toast, rice and wheat bread as this wonderful website suggested. Thank you so much for all the help!

• Food Poisoning - Causes

What caused your case of food poisoning?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with food poisoning?

Post View 9 Comments
  • Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

What home remedies were effective in treating symptoms of food poisoning?

Post View 4 Comments

CDC. "Food Safety." Updated: Feb 07, 2018.
<http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/>

CDC. Be Food Safe: Protect Yourself from Food Poisoning. Updated: Apr 18, 2017.
<https://www.cdc.gov/features/befoodsafe/index.html>

CDC. "Estimates of foodborne illness in the U.S.". Aug 19, 2016.
<http://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/>