Foreign Body in Ear

Have you or your child had a foreign body in the ear? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mom24Sams, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

Tonight my son had a small plastic bread from a stuffed animal stuck in his ear. It was deep enough that his ear had to be gently pulled to see it. I did not think we could attempt to remove it by trying to grasp it as it would likely get pushed deeper. My daughter held a light, my husband held his ear so we had a straight view into the canal, and I held a straw on the end of a vacuum. I was able to open and close my fingers on the end of the vacuum to adjust the suction at the end of the straw.

Comment from: Jude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

I have a foreign body (a seed) in my ear, this has been for about 11 years and I am 20 now. I was scare of likely punishments, so I didn't tell anyone then; and don't still want to say it now because I am ashamed I did that. I have always tried to do away with this seed on my own but can't. I suffer declined hearing ability and imbalance over these years and won't still tell anyone. I plan to see an otolaryngologist but haven't done that because I know it would cost me money which I might not really have and that might also at the end lead to my parents and people knowing about it. I am actually having this hard seed in my ear today due to curiosity and some kind of child's play stuff.

Comment from: Leighan , 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My 4 year old son has a polystyrene ball in ear and the hospital tried to take it out, but because my son wouldn't let them he needs to wait till 15th December. This happened on Monday the 4th of December.

Comment from: Clark Trivett,Phd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 27

The following worked for me when I had a foreign body in the ear. With your head over the bathroom sink, put ear drops in the ear canal. With warm water in an ear cleaning bulb, spray water in the ear canal as briskly as possible. It may take several bursts of water, but the foreign object will eject into the sink.

Comment from: solle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have been experiencing the sound of paper in my right ear for about 3 months now. I also have some decreased hearing. I am not sure if there is a foreign body in my ear.

Comment from: Rose, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Three weeks into my holiday abroad I have reduced hearing in one ear and a constant whooshing noise but no pain. I am now into my eighth week and after having my ear checked at a hospital, I was told I had an infection and a week on with the prescribed ear drops there's been no change. I use earplugs to cope with my husband's snoring. They are of a soft moldable material, like Plasticine. I am wondering if any has got stuck in my ear canal and if that is what's causing the problem. I am not flying back to UK for another four weeks and worried if I should wait until I get back to the UK to get another medical opinion.

Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics

REFERENCE:

"Diagnosis and management of foreign bodies of the outer ear"
UpToDate.com