Foreign Body in Ear

How was a doctor able to remove the foreign body from you or your child's ear? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: zzamora, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

In the middle of the night my 4 year old son started crying, pulling at his hair. I asked him what was wrong, and he said it hurt, nothing more. So I got a cold wash cloth and placed it on his ear. He kept crying. I asked again and he said the same; that it hurt. I asked if it was the outer ear and he said no and put his finger in his ear. So I got my phone and turned on the flashlight. To my surprise there was something in his ear. I didn't know what it was but I was sure I saw something. I used my fingernail to try to move it and it did. I thought maybe some wax or something so I tried to get it out with a swab. It didn't work so I looked at it some more and decided to use my tweezers. I pulled back his ear and tweezed it out. It was a small folded piece of paper, like confetti or something. I have no idea where it came from but as soon as I got it out he was ok again. I asked him where it came from and his response was, 'I sucked it in my nose!' Is that even possible!

• Ear Foreign Body - Patient Experience

Have you or your child had a foreign body in the ear? Please describe your experience.

Post View 6 Comments

Medically reviewed by Margaret Walsh, MD; American Board of Pediatrics

REFERENCE:

"Diagnosis and management of foreign bodies of the outer ear"
UpToDate.com