Frostbite vs. Hypothermia Differences in Symptoms, Signs, and Stages

Have you had hypothermia? Please tell us about your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pete, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I experienced hypothermia recently when my canoe turned over and I went into the water of a lake whose temp was 50 F. I had a personal flotation device on so was not in danger of drowning. I never felt cold, dizzy or nauseous. My focus was on getting the canoe upright, getting as much water out of it as possible, and swimming it to shore. This was very difficult and I made little progress. The last thing I remember is seeing some people on the shore (who must have called 911) and then red lights at the boat ramp. I woke up in the emergency room (ER) shivering violently. I think I was in the water about an hour when rescued by the emergency medical technicians. After reading the information here I wonder if the fact that I have a heart pace maker might have also helped save my life. They told me that my core body temperature in the ER was 68 F. I was able to go home after about 5 hours warming up in the ER.

Comment from: R rana, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

Whenever I feel tired or have fever my temperature remains almost 95 or sometimes 96 but 97 or 98 is very rare. I don't know what to do about the hypothermia.

REFERENCE: