Gallstones

What was the treatment for your gallstones? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Alba, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I was diagnosed in 2009 with gallstones after eating lots of white chocolate followed by a horrendous night of pain. Advice was to remove gallbladder or change diet. I opted to change and monitor my diet. However, I was not as vigilant. After 5 more extremely painful episodes, I realized that vomiting eased the symptoms within half an hour but was not a sustainable solution. The last episode in 2013 was so awful that I changed my diet radically, cutting out all fatty foods, oils, spicy dishes, etc. and I am pleased to state that I have not had another incident.

Comment from: Rowell Santiago, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

This cleanse treatment never worked at all. I tried to drink apple juice for 1 week, I made it as my regular drinking water but sad to say the gallstones never melted. In my second ultrasound the stones sizes is the same that's why my family decided to schedule me for operation. The operation is safe. Open cholecystectomy is almost free if you are a member of PhilHealth. If you want to have a faster recovery, say in 7 days you can eat your regular diet and walk and do light things, go for laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

Comment from: bloodblonde94, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was diagnosed with gallstones in April of 2015 via ultrasound because of horrible upper stomach pain after eating fatty meals. I was sent to a surgeon who just suggested I remove the gallbladder. I have yet to do so, but my symptoms are worsening. I have had at least 2 major attacks where the upper stomach pain won't ease up for at least 30 minutes or longer, and I start sweating. These attacks happen mostly in the morning. Before I had any attacks, I would just get upper stomach and back pain (rib/shoulder blade area) after I ate or sometimes without eating at all, but it was relieved by sitting down and would go away. For my newer, severe attacks, I am currently trying apple cider vinegar (ACV). One tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water or whatever you prefer (I use Gatorade), seems to help a little bit. I am very much against surgery, especially since I have an enlarged liver for no apparent reason.

Comment from: Marc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

To get rid of gallstones I decided to try the liver and gallbladder cleansing.

Comment from: kenny/t, 65-74 Male Published: October 09

I had open stomach operation for removal of gallbladder in 2011. The reason for open stomach operation was because I had adhesions from previous surgeries. Afterward, I was sent back to the ward. My blood pressure was dangerously low at 60/30. I was rushed back to theatre and opened up found to have internal bleeding. Packing was put in to stop bleeding, and I was sent back to ICU. The next day, I went back to theatre and opened up again to take packing out. I was opened up three times in two days and spent 10 days in hospital.

Medically reviewed by a John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE: eMedicine.com. Cholelithiasis.