Gastritis Symptoms, Diet Tips, and Treatment
Facts about and Definition of Gastritis
- Gastritis is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.
- Gastritis has many causes, including as a result of an infection with the same bacteria that causes most stomach ulcers.
- Gastritis can be a brief and sudden illness (acute gastritis), a longer-lasting condition (chronic gastritis), or a special condition, perhaps as part of another medical illness (atrophic gastritis, autoimmune gastritis, eosinophilic gastritis).
- An example of acute gastritis is stomach upset that may follow the use of alcohol or certain medications such as aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- An example of chronic gastritis is Helicobacter pylori or H. pylori, a type of bacteria that infects the stomach.
- Foods that may cause gastritis can differ from person to person, but in general, foods that can cause gastritis include
- beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine,
- spicy foods,
- foods that contain chocolate, or
- foods high in fat.
- Symptoms of gastritis are
- Home remedies for gastritis include changing the diet and avoiding alcohol. If the person is taking pain relievers that can cause gastritis, these should be changed or avoided.
- Medical treatment for gastritis include medications to decrease the acid in the stomach and antibiotics against the organism causing gastritis.
- Gastritis can be prevented by avoiding certain drugs, foods mentioned above, and modifying the diet.
What Is Gastritis?
Gastritis is a group of diseases that cause inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Acute gastritis occurs suddenly, and will frequently respond to appropriate therapy while chronic gastritis develops slowly. The inflammation of the stomach lining is most frequently caused by a bacterium called H. pylori. Gastritis can vary greatly from mild gastritis to severe gastritis. Symptoms might not always be correlated with the severity of the disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/15/2017
Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis
Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis (Symptoms, Diet, and Treatment):