Viewer Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis (Symptoms, Diet, and Treatment):

Gastritis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with gastritis?

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had a gastroscopy yesterday 8/9/17 and was diagnosed with moderate gastritis. I had been experiencing heartburn for 5 months and a periodic pain just above my belly button. I have been taking anti-inflammatory drugs for arthritis for years with no problems but then my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer and that's when the heartburn started so it was put down to stress. However it continued after his death so I went to the general physician (GP) again and she sent me for the gastroscopy, so I guess the stress of my husband's diagnosis tipped my stomach over the edge. I'm seeing the GP Monday to see what medicines to take but need to look at my diet too.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago and celiac disease this year. I am eating a gluten free diet. I was prescribed omeprazole which caused bad side effects. I was prescribed ranitidine and took the drug for 1 year but it did not reduce gastritis. I still have symptoms and bleeding. I am extremely anemic (iron count 3) and have intravenous iron infusions every couple months. I despair of ever being healthy again. I sleep most days. Good luck to those with these symptoms.

Comment from: Linda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

My gastritis started with getting bloated every time I was eating. And I lost my appetite but didn't lose weight. And all of a sudden I got a burning pain with nausea. I am on a very limited diet and my doctor prescribed ranitidine. So far the pain is less.

Comment from: jelly bean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My gastritis symptoms started with severe stomach pain between my belly button and my diaphragm. It was intense and lasted for over 5 hours without medication.

Comment from: Gig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My gastritis started with a normal case of indigestion but it wouldn't/didn't go away. At the same time I started having middle back pain that really curtailed activity. After a week it started to wake me up at night; burning, fiery pain that one time went away with a strong pain reliever, but the pink stuff didn't touch it. Eating is not at all interesting to me and I've lost five pounds in a week. That part's not bad!

Comment from: CW, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I get full easily after eating normal portions because of gastritis. I am not able to hydrate as much as I used to (3 to 4 liters a day down to less than 1). I have pain between ribs when stretching and running, intolerance to alcohol, and general core weakness; no sensation of strength from middle when biking long stretches of hills or inclines. Occasionally I have nausea, no appetite, dizzy/faint feeling; not the usual focus/alertness, and aches and pains in lower to mid back and shoulder area. I have frequent feeling of gas trapped in stomach, burping a lot, etc., and no tolerance for dairy products. I fatigue early and go to bed earlier than normal.

Comment from: Vagirl53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

With my gastritis I have pain in the upper stomach and severe pain in my back. It seems to radiate from my stomach and around under my right armpit to the back. I also look like I am 8 months pregnant, I am very bloated. I had a Nissen surgery a couple years ago and the doctor told me I would not have to worry about gastritis again, man is he ever wrong! I am in so much pain.

Comment from: Cinny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have just been diagnosed with gastritis. The doctor says that mine may have to do with this bacteria that people from 3rd world countries carry in their stomach. The lucky 85 percent go on with their lives and nothing happens. I'm the lucky 15 percent that develops gastritis! I am on strong antibiotics for 14 days and have to see doctor again to make sure that it's gone. Although I'm from a 3rd world country, I honestly believe that mine is related to stress but we shall see.

Must Read Articles Related to Gastritis

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding eithe...learn more >>
Endoscopy
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy With the procedure known as gastrointestinal endoscopy, a doctor is able to see the inside lining of your digestive tract. This examination is performed using a...learn more >>

Gastritis - Causes

If known, what caused your case of gastritis?

Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Gastritis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your gastritis?