Gastritis (Symptoms, Diet, and Treatment)

If known, what caused your case of gastritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Anne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a big dinner at the restaurant and I started to feel bad a few minutes after my dinner. My stomach was big and full of gas. I started to vomit at home which was helpful. Also, my lower back was painful. I thought about possible causes (coffee and Advil/NSAIDs medications) and changed my diet. I started to feel much better within a few days. Oatmeal was helpful and green tea. Also, fasting for four days is good too. Chamomile tea and golden seal powder seem to be helpful.

Comment from: Sussi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Any high acid food or alcohol will cause an acute flare of gastritis. I am just getting over one that caused high fever for two days. Lemon or fresh pineapple is a killer. I drink warm water with a little baking soda in it and it helps a lot, but be aware it raises the blood pressure. Avocado is a great food when you are healing.

Comment from: Adrienne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with gastritis when I was 27. I believe that stress caused this problem. No one else in my family has stomach problems. My doctor said my insurance would not cover medication because I was too young. It took me 8 years to finally get on medication, and I didn't realize how bad I felt until I did. If I have alcohol, even one or 2 drinks I get a flare up. Fatty foods make me feel like I am going to vomit, spicy foods make my stomach feel like it is on fire, and sugary foods make me feel bloated. So basically if I want to feel normal I can only eat some fruits, vegetables, and other bland foods. Otherwise I feel like I am going to die.

Comment from: ANGIE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I finally went to the emergency room yesterday after dealing with the pain for a few months. I was given a couple of medicines and told that I have stomach gastritis disease. I am having pain in my stomach like cramps and it is worse at night. It is waking me up at 12 and I am not being able to go back to sleep for a few hours. Pain goes straight to my back and that just makes it worse. Nothing helps! I had gastric sleeve surgery in 2014 so I don't have much stomach left to get an infection in! I sure hope the appointment I have next week tells me something so I can rest a little better.

Comment from: mony3214, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have severe pain in upper abdomen with pressure in chest also. The lump in center of chest is like gumball sized, was told it's the xiphoid process. I don't think so, it feels like hernia. Five scopes later I still don't feel any better. I am taking Carafate, Zofran, heartburn medicines, etc., and nothing helps/works. I have been dealing with this gastritis for over a year now. I am throwing up daily. Neck and lymph nodes in neck are swollen. It is hard to eat, drink, swallow, and sleep. I have severe pain in ribs both sides, and lost 60 pounds in a year. I feel like I am dying. I can't stand straight up or sit straight up. Fetal position makes it worse, feels like a blockage somewhere but they say no. I have no infections either or cancer.

Comment from: Prem, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have severe gastric problem. My stomach keeps growling from morning to evening and it is embarrassing for me especially during the office hours. I can't let out the gas either. I'm trying natural remedies to heal but not working.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

Everything about gastritis said by others applies to me, but also I am suffering with extreme fatigue. I have to push myself through the day.

Comment from: evie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have severe pain in the upper chest area, and pressure like a heart attack. Most medications made my gastritis worse.

Comment from: Fancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I get horrible gas when I drink coffee.

Comment from: Our Gal Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I believe it was the sorbitol in the diet bars I've been eating that irritated me. Also I drink diet drinks to belch or bring up gas in me because I have gerd or acid reflux disease. I better bring this up with my doctor for my next visit and see what he says.

REFERENCE: Wehbi, M. MD. "Acute Gastritis Treatment and Management." Medscape. Feb 25, 2016.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/175909-treatment>