Endoscopy

What were the results of your gastrointestinal endoscopy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was very scared of my endoscopy. I had it done today and was nowhere as bad as I thought and over very quickly. They sprayed my throat and I had a mild sedative but was aware of what was going on. No pain except for wind in my throat and the need to burp. They found nothing wrong and after an hour's rest I was allowed home. I would say to anyone not to be afraid of this procedure, in my experience. Doctors and nurses were all very sympathetic and treated me with great care.

Comment from: Naida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

This was my second scope since I was diagnosed with Barrett's a year ago. My doctor was unable to move the scope into my esophagus not wanting to force the scope and cause injury.

Comment from: Brensen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

Mine resulted in a three- inch tear to my esophagus, pain, seven hours of surgery and a three week hospital stay.

Comment from: neet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I was found to have Barrett's esophagus and will be having halo ablation to try to correct this and prevent the growth of cancer.

Comment from: JAYA CHANDRA RATH, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

My gastrointestinal endoscopy revealed GERD and erosive gastritis.

• Gastrointestinal Endoscopy - Preparation

Please describe your experience with gastrointestinal endoscopy preparation.

Post View 2 Comments

Medically reviewed by Venkatachala Mohan, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Gastroenterology

UpToDate. Upper endoscopy (Byond the Basics)

Losacco T. Endoscopic diagnosis of GI tract conditions. Academic Lesson. 2000.

Pansky JL. Upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy. In: Nyhus LM, et al, eds. Mastery of Surgery. Vol 1. 1997:246-254.

SAGES. Patient Information from Your Surgeon & SAGES: Upper Endoscopy. Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. Accessed 1997.

SAGES. Patient Information from Your Surgeon & SAGES: Colonoscopy. Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. Accessed 1997.

SAGES. Patient Information from Your Surgeon & SAGES: Flexible Sigmoidoscopy. Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons. Accessed 1997.