Genital Warts (HPV Infection)

What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital warts? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Notthefirst, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

When my husband and I first met we were about 19 and he had strange things on his penis. We thought they were from the razor, but they started spreading. When he went to the doctor they did a laser removal of the genital warts and prescribed pills for the immune system. At that time I didn't have any symptoms at all. After 3 months sex started to get painful for me and I went and did a Pap test and it came out that I have abnormal cells. I started taking pills for the immune system and felt ok after 6 months. After 2 years I started getting constant itching and pain during intercourse. When I went to the doctor she said I had genital warts and removed them with freezing. After that the itching disappeared but after a year and a half it came back and now I have to go again.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I initially do not recall when I noticed something, but it got to the point that it felt like a hemorrhoid. I mentioned it to the doctor I had at the time, and he didn't even look. About two years later, there were a cluster of them and I seriously thought they were former hemorrhoids and were now skin tags that needed removal. I made an appointment with my new doctor, she looked at it and said they were anogenital warts. I was in shock. I have been married for 35 years and am 57. I feel dirty and ashamed. All my research indicates that 75 to 80 percent of the population over 30 has this virus and don't even know it. My doctor said it's not uncommon for her to see them at all. She said it's rarer for the younger generation because of the vaccine that came out in 2005. It apparently can infect you, lay dormant for years, and then warts can appear if you've been sick or your immune system is low. I can't recall what happened around the time I started noticing it, so I do not recall if I was sick, but I was under a lot of stress due to caring for aging parents. The important thing to remember is, you can have it, not know it, pass it and be infectious. You can have it for years before it might show up as warts. Men get warts less often than women. I was reckless when I was younger, and have been faithful as has my husband, and I totally believe that. The reason being, less than three years after we were married, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and had a hysterectomy. I now know that 97 percent of cervical cancers are caused by HPV. I had this virus probably before I met and married my husband. My treatments have consisted of an acid wash which didn't work and now cryotherapy, which does seem to be shrinking them. I have to go in every two weeks. It is not painful, but does sting a little at the time when the doctor does it, and for a day or two afterwards, it does feel moister down there. I figure it is a small price to pay. I hate that I have to go through it, but am grateful that there is a treatment. I know there are no guarantees that it won't come back again; but in the meantime, I'm hopeful. Be faithful, abstain, use protection; and don't pass this on to the next generation. Get your kids vaccinated before they ever have sexual relations; it doesn't work after the fact.

Comment from: Snoopy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I've had skin tags on occasion my whole life. I noticed one on my pubic mound area that grew extremely fast. That was the only one I had and it erupted like a pimple after about two weeks. Then I started getting five or six more in my genital area and went to my doctor. He immediately said they were genital warts. He froze them and wanted me back in two weeks. My girlfriend worked in a doctor's office and got the liquid nitrogen from her office and froze them one more time about two weeks later. I've been wart free for the last two years. After my outbreak and prior to visiting the doctor I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend, and she eventually got them also. We treated her at home the same way and after two treatments they were gone. It takes about a month for all signs of the warts to go disappear. I contracted them at the age of 64.

Comment from: loveisallyouneed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 99 percent sure I know who I contracted HPV from, and if I am correct, it was about 8 years ago. My first symptoms occurred 2 years later, in the form of an abnormal Pap test result. I was a little freaked because of the possibility of cancer, but my pap tests started showing normal results again after about a year and a half. I still wasn't sure that I was free of symptoms, and it appears that I was correct. This past December, I was wiping after using the bathroom, and I realized that there was a little something that I was unable to wipe away. I washed my hands and started investigating. I soon discovered a tiny cluster of slightly-raised, rough skin. I couldn't see it without a mirror, and even then, it was very difficult to see much because of the size. I could see that the little cluster appeared to be a whitish color. My immediate thought was HPV, but another part of me denied it. When February came around and there were no changes, I made an appointment with my gynecologist. It turns out that my initial reaction was correct, and I ended up having up the treatment yesterday. It was extremely fast, and not very painful at all. If you think that you could have genital warts from HPV, no matter how small they are, it is probably a good idea to get them looked at by a doctor.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I just noticed a bump near my rectum. I visited a doctor after 2 months and I was told it was a genital wart and needed cauterization. I had it last week and I am currently recovering from the treatment. On the process of healing from the wounds caused by the cauterization, I am afraid now if it will heal immediately and ashamed to be married with many scars in my vagina. But what I fear most is when these warts come back after the painful experience in cauterization.

Comment from: Ladycat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with herpes several years ago, and treated with meds at that time. It was 11 years after my ex and I separated, and I was told this would lie dormant for 12 years. Now I am having little bumps in the vaginal area that are painful, and I am wondering if this could be warts.

Comment from: learnt-a-lesson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I noticed little bumps on my vagina area just outside and they were dark. At first I thought they were just moles as I have a lot of moles on my skin. One day I suddenly noticed that they had multiplied and I took a mirror to get a closer look. Right inside my vagina, I saw more this time, white mole like things. That's when I knew something was terribly wrong. I knew they were not normal, so I went to see my doctor and he confirmed that I had warts. It came as a shock because I hardy have sex and when I do I always use condoms. My doctor explained that the HPV can be spread even by hands. The greatest lesson I learned was to abstain and only have sex when am married.

Comment from: margeret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am a married woman and have been in the same relationship for 15 years. About a year ago I noticed small growths around my genitals I went to the clinic and found that they were genital warts. I was horrified and although I'd had sexual partners before my husband, I have been faithful to him. The nurse reassured me that although I'd not had any symptoms before that, my husband or I could have been carrying the wart virus for all those years and never shown any signs before now. My husband finds that hard to believe and has accused me of being unfaithful and its now breaking down my marriage.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with warts at the age fifteen. I am now seventeen and the warts are hard to get rid of because they are so small and look like razor bumps. I hope my infection goes away. I get cryotherapy around once a year. Transmission to my partner is also a constant fear.

Comment from: chiroJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had no symptom other than noticing a couple tiny bumps that got a little bigger. The doctor burned them off and they returned several times over a year or so. Had them burned off again about four times and now they have never come back.

Comment from: Not alone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

During my first pregnancy I noticed a really small, colorless mole-like spot around the opening of my vagina. I asked my Dr during one of my prenatal check-ups about it and he then told me it was HPV or a genital wart. He said that he could remove it but most likely it would come back. It has been over ten years since I was diagnosed and I haven't noticed any new ones. I was reading some of the comments about others who say they experience pain and fever with their warts and one person even said she can tell when they are coming on. I don't think she has what she thinks she has. I have never experienced any pain. My advice is to stay on top of things and always tell your sex partner about what you have no matter what. Let's not spread this to others. I have been married for 15 years and my husband has not contracted the virus. Even though he would choose not to use a condom, I don't let him make excuses. I am not going to give this to another person.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I was diagnosed with anal warts at the age of 22.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I'm only 19. I had some genital warts on my penis. Obviously I was scared when I saw this. I have become depressed. I can't believe I have genital warts. I'm sure there are things I can do about it.

Comment from: katey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I get very itchy specially in the inner part, but not often. It occurs sometimes yearly.

Comment from: dwn2erth, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with viral genital warts and they appeared on my penis and rectum. The first time I had evidence of them the doctor treated me by putting some medicine on them. Then 4 months later they reappeared. I went to see a specialist and he used liquid ice to freeze them. That treatment worked for my penis quite well, but not my anus. I will be going back for another treatment soon. I think he is going to zap them off at this point.

Comment from: anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

When it wants to appear on a part of your body, you feel a sting or pain there. If you scratch it comes out faster and big. You also feel feverish when it wants to come out. When you use a harsh body cream or soap it gets inflamed and gets even more painful. Mine secretes water and gets me wet most times making me uncomfortable.

Comment from: idontno, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I noticed little bumps on my vagina area and also anus. I knew they were not normal, I went to see my doctor.

• Genital Warts (HPV Infection) - Treatment

What were effective treatments for your genital warts?

Post View 21 Comments
  • Genital Warts - Causes

What caused your genital warts?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Genital Warts - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting genital warts?

Post View 1 Comment

CDC. 2015 Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines. Updated: Jan 25, 2017.
<https://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/default.htm>

Gearhart, PA. Human Papillomavirus. Medscape. Updated: Jan 05, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/219110-overview>