Gingivitis

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gingivitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Alembicdonj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

With gingivitis, I first had a sore on my tongue. Later, I experienced pains and weakness from my gums. Eventually, I found out that parts of my gums are loose and don't support my teeth, while others are swollen and reddened. Blood easily flows out with the least disturbance. I'm still struggling with it.

Comment from: sachin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I have been suffering from gingivitis since last 2 years, I have bleeding gums and receding gums.

Comment from: fanker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have developed gingivitis over the last 4 to 5 weeks. I am on a steroid, and prednisone for breathing problems. I started with 60 mg daily and now I am taking 35 mg daily. I think the prednisone is the reason for my gingivitis. It lowers one's immune system.

Comment from: CalvinDay, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am now 57 and had gingivitis for several years after ignoring seeing the dentist. My gums were red and would bleed after brushing. I had a six-month treatment of antibiotics which helped, but the gingivitis returned after about a year. Determined to try a battle it, I now brush my teeth with plaque fighting toothpaste. I follow up with a Water-Pik using 50% peroxide and mouthwash. My last trip to the dentist for cleaning was great. It only took 20-25 minutes and my gums were pink. The hygienist couldn't believe what had occurred since the last visit thinking I would need further antibiotic treatment!

• Gingivitis - Treatment

What is the treatment for your gingivitis?

Post

Sabharwal, Amarpreet, and Frank A. Scannapieco. "Baking soda dentifrice and periodontal health: A review of the literature." The Journal of the American Dental Association 148.11 November 2017: S15-S19.

Smiley, Christopher J., et al. "Evidence-based clinical practice guideline on the nonsurgical treatment of chronic periodontitis by means of scaling and root planing with or without adjuncts." The Journal of the American Dental Association 146.7 July 2015: 525-535. <http://jada.ada.org/article/S0002-8177(15)00334-7/abstract>.