Gout is characterized by abnormal uric acid metabolism. Symptoms and signs include a red, hot, swollen joint, and acute pain. Medications for the treatment of gout include NSAIDs, colchicine, corticosteroids, probenecid, allopurinol, and febuxostat. Staying hydrated and elevating and applying ice packs to the swollen joint may help to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
Expert Views and News
- Treatment for High Blood Uric Acid With Gout
- Can You Have Both Rheumatoid Arthritis and Gout?
- Gout Linked to Low Levels of Lead
- Foods to Avoid if You Want to Avoid Gout Attacks
- Enriched Milk May Ease Gout
- Uric Acid Linked to Both Gout and Diabetes
- Wrong Shoes Make Gout Pain Worse
- FDA Panel Rejects Gout Drug on Safety Concerns
- Caffeine May Trigger Gout Attacks
- Cherries May Cut Risk of Gout Flare-ups
- Gout Survey Offers Peek at the Pain
- Gout Risk Influenced by Women's Age, Drinking
- Gout Fought With Skim Milk and Water
- Blood Pressure Lowered With Gout Drug?
- Vitamin C May Help Prevent Gout
- FDA OKs New Gout Drug Uloric
- Gout Drug Cuts Teen High Blood Pressure
- Gout Linked to Sweet Sodas?
Gout Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Febuxostat reduces the production of uric acid in your body. A build-up of uric acid can cause gout symptoms...learn more »
Citric acid and sodium citrate are both alkalinizing agents that make the urine less acidic...learn more »
Citric acid and sodium citrate are alkalinizing agents that make the urine less acidic...learn more »
Colchicine alters the way your body responds to uric acid crystals. Too much uric acid in the body is what leads to the symptoms of gout (swelling and pain)...learn more »
Potassium is a mineral that is found in many foods and is needed for several functions of your body, especially the beating of your heart...learn more »
Colchicine affects the way the body responds to uric acid crystals, which reduces swelling and pain...learn more »
There are many brands and forms of acetaminophen available. Not all brands are listed on this leaflet...learn more »
Indomethacin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Indomethacin works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body...learn more »
Sulindac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Sulindac works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body...learn more »
Probenecid helps your body pass uric acid out through the urine, which lowers the levels of uric acid in the body...learn more »