Viewer Comments: Gout - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Treatment

What was the treatment for your gout?

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I found the cause and cure for my gout and here's my story. I had continuous bouts with gout for 10 years from age 26 to 36. I tried everything from drinking large amounts of water, not eating meat, purines and other things that supposedly cause gout, to drinking cherry juice. I finally started taking a daily pill because it got so bad. Exactly a year ago January 1, 2017 my wife and I decided to try the ketogenic diet to lose some weight. I'm 5' 11, 210 lb. with a muscular build. I ate no more than 20 net carbs for about 45 days. I ate fat and protein, as much as I wanted. I ate a lot of meat and cheese which supposedly cause gout. I lost a few pounds, but more importantly, my gout was gone. What I did was completely rid myself of all inflammatory foods (mostly carbs) and instead ate fat and protein which reduced the inflammation that was causing my gout. My doctor kept telling me that my gout was caused by genetics, or stress, or too much meat. He always had some other reason, but he never told me it was because of inflammation from eating too many carbohydrates. It has been 1 year now and I haven't had even the slightest hint of gout. My diet is around 25 percent carbs. I stay away from sugar, white bread, rice, pasta and anything else considered a 'refined carbohydrate' and I don't take any medicines. This is the cure for gout. Rid your body of refined carbohydrate. Replace those foods with vegetables and foods that are made up of fat and protein. Do this and I promise, your gout will disappear forever. It's so nice not to have to worry about a gout flare-up and then having to go to the doctor for a steroid shot to reduce the pain until the next bout shows up in another month.

Comment from: Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have gout in my left hand and left foot and both are very swollen and very painful. I am taking medication for my heart (warfarin) and I'm told I can't take anything for the gout because of the medication I'm on. There must be something I can take to get rid of the gout surely!

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 05

This morning, suddenly I felt acute pain on my left feet toe, very painful. It is swollen, tight and warm. I am so scared about gout, never seen before. Yes, I have been taking very little water being winter season.

Must Read Articles Related to Gout

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Arthritis causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gout:

Gout - Experience

Please describe your experience with gout.

Gout - Diet

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout?

Gout - Symptoms and Signs

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?