Gout

What was the treatment for your gout? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I found the cause and cure for my gout and here's my story. I had continuous bouts with gout for 10 years from age 26 to 36. I tried everything from drinking large amounts of water, not eating meat, purines and other things that supposedly cause gout, to drinking cherry juice. I finally started taking a daily pill because it got so bad. Exactly a year ago January 1, 2017 my wife and I decided to try the ketogenic diet to lose some weight. I'm 5' 11, 210 lb. with a muscular build. I ate no more than 20 net carbs for about 45 days. I ate fat and protein, as much as I wanted. I ate a lot of meat and cheese which supposedly cause gout. I lost a few pounds, but more importantly, my gout was gone. What I did was completely rid myself of all inflammatory foods (mostly carbs) and instead ate fat and protein which reduced the inflammation that was causing my gout. My doctor kept telling me that my gout was caused by genetics, or stress, or too much meat. He always had some other reason, but he never told me it was because of inflammation from eating too many carbohydrates. It has been 1 year now and I haven't had even the slightest hint of gout. My diet is around 25 percent carbs. I stay away from sugar, white bread, rice, pasta and anything else considered a 'refined carbohydrate' and I don't take any medicines. This is the cure for gout. Rid your body of refined carbohydrate. Replace those foods with vegetables and foods that are made up of fat and protein. Do this and I promise, your gout will disappear forever. It's so nice not to have to worry about a gout flare-up and then having to go to the doctor for a steroid shot to reduce the pain until the next bout shows up in another month.

Comment from: Jim G, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I get occasional flare ups of gout. The most effective remedy for me has been to drink a teaspoon of baking soda mixed into a 16 oz. glass of water two or three times a day. I wonder if there are any harmful side effects from doing this.

Comment from: Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have gout in my left hand and left foot and both are very swollen and very painful. I am taking medication for my heart (warfarin) and I'm told I can't take anything for the gout because of the medication I'm on. There must be something I can take to get rid of the gout surely!

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 05

This morning, suddenly I felt acute pain on my left feet toe, very painful. It is swollen, tight and warm. I am so scared about gout, never seen before. Yes, I have been taking very little water being winter season.

Choi, H.K., S. Liu, and G. Curhan. "Intake of Purine-Rich Foods, Protein, and Dairy Products and Relationship to Serum Levels of Uric Acid: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Arthritis Rheum 52 (2005): 283-289.

Firestein, Gary S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, Ninth Edition. China: Elsevier Health, 2012.

Lawrence, R.C., D.T. Felson, C.G. Helmick, et al. "Estimates of the Prevalence of Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Conditions in the United States. Part II." Arthritis Rheum 58 (2008): 26-35.