Gout

Please describe your experience with gout. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Burton Abrams, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 17

After my sleep apnea was resolved 15 years ago, my frequent gout attacks ceased immediately and completely. Sleep apnea's intermittent reduction of oxygen in the blood causes cell catabolism which leads to their generation of excess uric acid, increased acidity in the blood so it can hold less uric acid in solution, and gradual reduction of kidney function so their removal of uric acid from the blood is slowed - perfect storm conditions for precipitation of the urate crystals which cause gout.

Comment from: Tracy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I had C5, C6 and C7 fused. A week later gout started in my big toe and foot. Horrible pain. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of neck surgery, so doctors are giving me narcotics to relieve pain (doesn't work very well). It is now moving to my ankle. Also, I developed cellulitis, which caused a giant blister on top of my foot, which doctor had to drain. This is the worst pain ever. I'm taking the preventive medication, but it doesn't really do anything either.

Comment from: Eddie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I awoke in the middle of the night with very painful foot, and swollen, red and inflamed big toe. Three days later the gout attack is not much better. Contacting my doctor to schedule appointment tomorrow.

Comment from: Vijay, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I have constant tingling feeling in my left foot for the last one year because of gout. It started after I was discharged from hospital where I was admitted for breathing problem. Presently my veins from big toe and second toe leg joint with foot are having uncomfortable tingling feelings, but I can walk normally. I am 75 years of age and my triple bypass surgery was carried out in 2004. I also underwent Leiomyoma surgery in 2008. Presently I am having atrial fibrillation problem too. But I am comfortable having a good retired life.

Comment from: dianne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had this gout for many years, since I was doing the Dr. Atkins diet! This diet took weight off me fast, inches more than pounds at first. And let me tell you, if you want fast results that's the way to go. But remember, when told to use mega doses of vitamins, you must listen, so very important!

Comment from: side foot, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I just had my first experience with gout but it seem that my gout is on the side of my outer left side foot.

Comment from: mama, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The symptom of my gout was that my middle finger was hot, stiff and very painful and I couldn't bend it at all.

Comment from: Kid Larami, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm pretty healthy. I'm from the U.K. and I'm in the U.K. system for seeing a Doctor. Healthcare is terrible here. There are no home visits, and telephone appointments are scheduled two weeks out.Even though I pay national insurance. It did me no good so I booked MRI and blood test privately 9 months ago. The results showed gout, a swollen prostate, and high cholesterol. I sent a copy to my doctor with a letter.He didn't even reply. I'm now in bed with intense pain in my right knee. The UK system is for weekend alcoholics who get drunk, fight and clutter emergency A and E, not to mention these are people who usually don't contribute.

Comment from: steveb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had a bump on my large toe for over a year which did not cause any pain. I noticed a gradual soreness on the toe, along with redness. My internist treated me for an infection and referred me to a podiatrist. The podiatrist diagnosed gout, and removed the bump, which later returned, but smaller. My internist prescribed allopurinol which I take daily along with tart cherry juice concentrate. I have almost no pain, even though I regularly drink beer or wine.

Choi, H.K., S. Liu, and G. Curhan. "Intake of Purine-Rich Foods, Protein, and Dairy Products and Relationship to Serum Levels of Uric Acid: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Arthritis Rheum 52 (2005): 283-289.

Firestein, Gary S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, Ninth Edition. China: Elsevier Health, 2012.

Lawrence, R.C., D.T. Felson, C.G. Helmick, et al. "Estimates of the Prevalence of Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Conditions in the United States. Part II." Arthritis Rheum 58 (2008): 26-35.