Gout

For gout, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sony5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have to take diuretics for a heart condition. The sad part is my cardiologist failed to tell me one of the side effect can be gout. I have had my first episode started on Saturday. My left foot swelled on top then the pain went away. All of a sudden Tuesday night I woke up with throbbing in my left big toe. I have never felt such overwhelming pain. I cannot walk. I am not much of a steak or seafood eater. But doing some research I found other foods that are good for you can also start an attack. I am not on medication! I am still in pain and will see my doctor when I can at least walk. I am trying to drink pure cherry juice I bought from a natural food store. We will see if this will help. I also have not been eating any starches; just fruit and vegetables. I drink at least 64 oz water daily.

Comment from: Stelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I just had my first ever case of gout almost 2 weeks ago. It never occurred to me that it could be gout. It began as a sore stiffness I get with usually wear and tear and changes in the weather. But, the usual Advil didn't take care of it and it was gradually getting worse. Four days later, after calling 4 different doctors and being on crutches for 2 days, I finally gave up getting an appointment and seeing an after-hours clinic. I wanted to see my doctor, not his nurse practitioner (NP). Joke's on me. I got to the clinic and I saw the NP who took x-rays and confidently exclaimed I did not have gout. Maybe a little tendonitis, she wasn't sure. But it wasn't gout. She gave me a painkiller and muscle relaxer shot and a prescription, and I think I would have gotten better results from eating a bag of M and Ms. Three days later it was in full force. I could not put any weight on it and was being pushed around in my husband's office chair. Nothing helped, nothing! Ice felt good, the ceiling fan hurt, people walking by glancing at it hurt, people talking to me hurt. So, I got an emergency appointment with an orthopedic doctor who does lab tests. Two days later I got those results. Guess what? Gout. The advice I was given was to follow up with my primary care. I called the doctor back and got an appointment 2 days later. I finally got Colcrys. But I had already had this for 9 days. I had a lot of swelling and it was warm. It wasn't in my toe. It was in my ankle, the side and the top. It wasn't red, just pinkish at times. And it itched, and I couldn't touch it. It was absolutely the worst pain I have ever endured. The pain has subsided now, the color's normal, and no swelling. However, now it's been 12 days and I still can only walk with crutches. I feel as though I'll never be able to walk again. How long will this pain last!

Comment from: Peggy78, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My first attack in my pre-google days I could not walk because of severe pain. After extensive reading I hit on the idea that like my late father I had GOUT. I had put myself on a cholesterol lowering diet for several weeks. My main food was delicious home made lentil soup and spinach with cheese. I love sardines and everything heavy in Purines. I immediately went on a diet low in Purines and drunk lots of water. In a few days I was O.K.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have attacks of gouty arthritis in my left ankle, right leg and right wrist. I have noticed with each attack the area affected is spreading. Where it use to only effect my right ankle it now effects my whole right leg. On the onset of a attack the effected area feels sore, if I take my colchicine right away I can usually stop it from becoming a full attack. Also I learned from my doctor that I need to take my allopurinol as directed when I am not having a attack because a high uric acid level can damage your kidneys. I also learned that dye contrast can initiate a attack.

Comment from: Happy., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I couldn't put my foot to the floor the pain from gout was severe. I have seen a doctor and been given pain killers but my foot still hurts bad.

Comment from: pugs1970, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I have been suffering from gout for 20 years, age 45 now. I'm a builder and for the first few years of my introduction into the world of pain I kept working, pulling myself up ladders with only one leg and crying a lot in silence. We Aussies are too tough to cry in public. Twenty years later I am stuck in bed with a right knee with its own heartbeat and built in heater, whoever thought even the slightest breeze or knock could bring this six foot ex-rugby player to whimper like a little flower!

Comment from: Hubette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I started having gout attacks about a year after having my kidney removed. The first few times it was in the joint behind my big toe, but now it's on top of my foot. The pain now is nothing like the first attacks, but still extremely painful. Due to having only one kidney, I cannot take ibuprofen or the normal pain medications prescribed for gout. I gave no family history of gout. I do not drink beer. I do have maybe an occasional glass of wine. I eat very little red meat and hardly any shell fish, so can only assume it's because of my one kidney. I also drink no less than 64 oz water a day so I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed as suffering from Gout. Since a few days ago, I developed pain in the toe (big finger joint) with swelling and the doctor advised me to take Zyloric 100 which I used for a few days, say about 10 days. The pain did not subside but to some extent the swelling subsided. Again after a long walk, the swelling increased with pain and I cannot walk properly.

I have severe swelling and pain in the primary toe of my left foot and in the ankle joint of my right foot. I am presently taking 50 mg of Indocin twice daily and have been drinking concentrated black cherry juice that is diluted with water.

I have experienced severe gout attacks for about 15 yrs. It started in my big toe and has made its way into my ankle. My last two attacks have become infected and have been the most painful thing that has ever happened to me. I cannot pinpoint the source, so I am not sure what to do. I will just say, if you think you have a case of gout, get to your doctor and get on the meds. I do not wish this kind of pain on anyone and hope your case passes quickly.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I first developed gout about six months ago. I thought it was a charley horse or ingrown toenail, but it was neither. My right toe swelled and I could not walk. I was limping around at work and could not wear a shoe, so I had to stick that foot in a bedroom shoe. I ended up at ER after work and they confirmed it to be gout. Three days had already gone by, so by the time I got the prescription after ER visit, the pain and swelling went away. I really don't know what's worse, shingles pain or gout pain. I think it's a tie!

Comment from: Puck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I have had my first attack. It's been about nine days and finally went to the doctor yesterday (I'm stubborn I guess). I have NEVER had such agonizing pain! I have had knee surgery and nothing compares to this. The doctor prescribed medication, which makes me a little woozy, but is helping... If you think you might be having a gout attack, GET HELP RIGHT AWAY!! Nothing is worth this pain!

Comment from: Balomet, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Before we figured out it was gout, I had a swollen knee with burning pains and a burning sensation on one foot. After blood tests for urea, I found that I have too much uric acid. And yes, it's gout.

Comment from: Silver Fox, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I have gout and the large toe on my right foot is swollen. It is also red and painful. It woke me up in the middle of the night with intense pain.

Comment from: Libran, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Thank you for an excellent referral site regarding gout. I've been on a diuretic for high blood pressure for at least 10 years and one of the contraindications say gout could present. I woke up last night with such severe pain in my foot, emanating from my big toe, I couldn't get to sleep. I've taken analgesics today and the pain has subsided a lot but I still can't move my toes. Seems like you take medication to cure one illness which, in turn, gives you something else...

Comment from: Tickie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

The information was very helpful and will enable me to better understand and describe my "sore foot" to my physician as well as be aware of medications I now take that I need to ask if there will be a reaction.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm in the middle of my first gout attack. It is going on 3 days now and the pain is slowly getting better. Pain started while sleeping at night, was somewhat better the next day, then excruciating pain since then. It showed up in the foot just below the big toe with swelling and redness. I wasn't sure what it was until I saw the doctor today. It didn't take her long to diagnose. I am waiting on a blood test to measure the level of uric acid to determine the next step. I feel for the patients with gout in multiple areas. This is extremely painful just in the big toe. I am grateful for the wealth of information on the Internet.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had first attack in 2006 in big toe on right foot lasted about 7 days then mid way through 09 woke up thinking my toe was being burned off episode lasted about 5 weeks settling down then flaring up had 2 more attacks since last one is into the third week now and involves my whole right foot and ankle not happy really effects your life

Comment from: panda, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

For the last 10 years odd I am a GOUT patient. I always get pain on my right leg and knee. I am taking medications to get rid of the situations. Of course I am a psoriasis disease patient, thus GOUT might have developed because of my skin disorder.

Comment from: Tricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My first attack came about 2 years ago with acute swelling and agonizing pain in the little toe of my left foot. I realized it was gout and it took about 3 weeks to subside. Last year I began developing swelling in both my hands - especially my right index finger and middle right finger. On the index finger there are little pin points of white which looks like an infection but is not. Now 'officially' diagnosed (my doctor originally just said it was arthritis - wear and tear) by my consultant hematologist (I am in remission from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) I have been prescribed 300mg allupriniol daily and am waiting to see if anything improves. In its chronic state, it is painful and makes it hard to flex my fingers but it is not the agonizing pain of an acute attack. It does hurt and is an inconvenience though.

Comment from: In pain, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

My pain started about six years ago. I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. This occurs about one a year. It wasn't until last year that my doctor finally diagnosed me with gout. The flare usually only lasts about a day or so, and it only affect the top of my right foot, so far. The last episode has been going on for eight days and counting. I was never prescribed any medication from my doctor, but I am starting to think it's time now.

Comment from: cdadave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I have had gout since I was in my thirties, and at one time I had a uric acid level of 11.0. Over the years I had severe flare-ups in all of my joints, especially the ankles and knees. I had to go to the emergency room twice due to gout pain. I've had virtually no gout symptoms since 2005, when I began treatment by a rheumatologist. I've been on a regimen of 600mg a day of Allopurinol, and that keeps my Uric Acid level in normal range, somewhere around 3.5.

Comment from: alrenwald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I experience my first gout attack in summer of 2001. I didn't know what it was. I had pain, tenderness and swelling in my right lower leg, ankle and foot. The pain was incredible. I have had recurrent attacks 1-2 times every year or so. I'm not on any medications, and I do forget at time that I shouldn't be eating a lot of steak and seafood and organ meats. I was really good the past ten months, then I fell off the proverbial wagon and I binged on ribeyes and crab legs. Am I a glutton for punishment or what? I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. I am currently eating dried cherries and that seems to do the trick for me.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Hi I just had a bad attack on my right foot not knowing what the pain was. When I took my shoe off my foot felt like it's on fire and was completely swelled up. I managed to drive myself home after work and had a foot massage at home. I then elevated my foot to find that the pain got worse. I went to the doctor and I was told that I have gout. I have never had this kind of pain in my life. It is really painful, but sometimes, painkillers help manage the pain.

Comment from: harvey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

When my gouty arthritis flares, I get painful swelling in my foot with marked redness.

Comment from: kathy p., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

My right ankle swells up. The skin is red, and at times it feels as if boiling water is being poured on it. Gradually, the swelling spreads across the entire top of my foot, including my toes. As the pain and swelling go away, the tiny bones the on the top of my foot are painful and the skin is "shiny" for lack of a better word. I keep my foot up from the beginning until the end of the whole thing, which lasts from 4days until 8 days. Each time it lasts longer, and are becoming more often.

Comment from: Male (Patient) Published: October 14

No pain. Right ankle swollen.

Comment from: nana08, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I first started about six years ago, when I would awake in the middle of the night with the worse pain in my big toe on my right foot. At first I just thought I must have hit my toe on something, but it would happen again a year later. Over the last few years, it happens about every six months. It is very, very painful. I went to the doctor about six months ago and found out it was gout. Now I have it again. I guess I need to go get medication.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: February 03

I can't believe I have gout! I drink very little alcohol, and I eat very little meat, but maybe have not been drinking enough water. You are all right! The pain is terrible and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I was given some meds, right now I am in Beijing, but maybe everyone has more or less the same solutions and now downing lots of water! I do like an occasional beer but it's not worth the pain; a few months ago next to last little toe! I thought my shoes were too tight! This week horrible pains, swollen left wrist, and shooting pains. I'll also go for cherry juice when I get back home; I am bigger on natural remedies than meds if can be helped; thanks for comments.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My first one felt like a stone bruise on the bottom of my big toe joint, then it moved to my full toe. Lately the attacks have been to the top of the foot and ankle (in both feet). Medrol packs usually knock it out quickly, but lately they have caused worse pain and swelling. At the time when it is the worst, I catch myself thinking I'd be better off without my foot because it hurts so bad. I don't drink, and limit my red meat- totally in my genes and I'm 36.

Choi, H.K., S. Liu, and G. Curhan. "Intake of Purine-Rich Foods, Protein, and Dairy Products and Relationship to Serum Levels of Uric Acid: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Arthritis Rheum 52 (2005): 283-289.

Firestein, Gary S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, Ninth Edition. China: Elsevier Health, 2012.

Lawrence, R.C., D.T. Felson, C.G. Helmick, et al. "Estimates of the Prevalence of Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Conditions in the United States. Part II." Arthritis Rheum 58 (2008): 26-35.