Gout

How did you change your diet upon your diagnosis of gout? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: AZelbowkneeanklegout, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I thought gout was a toe thing you got from drinking too much or from deli meat. I get it in my elbows, knee and my ankle. I don't drink and I don't eat meat often. I hit a trifecta though with menopause, obesity, and carbohydrates. I am modifying my diet and exercising regularly now. They gave me colchicine and nothing else at the moment. The pain from flares was like bones breaking. I thought I had tendinitis in my elbows and that my knee and ankle hurt from an old injury or from walking wrong. Tonight is the first time that I have given red meat a second look. I am having a hamburger, and what should be enjoyable is bothering me a lot thinking of the pain I may have brought on myself again. I guess if it causes a flare I will be reformed from partaking in barbeque of any kind. I eat lots of vegetables as I always did but I try to get my protein from eggs and chicken, or beans, and different vegetables and nuts. I don't eat white bread and white rice. I have switched to brown rice and quinoa and wheat. I've lost about 25 lb in the last 2 months and am working on shedding more. Gout is incredibly painful and I want to avoid it as much as possible. I am learning now that it can do more damage than just the pain in joints so I will be doing a lot more research on the subject. I guess I am predisposed because my grandmother has it as well.

Comment from: NOMOREGOUT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have had problems with tendonitis, bursitis and yes, gout since I was a teenager. High uric acid runs in the family. My father passed from a disease called polymyositis a severe form of rheumatoid arthritis. I have even had some gout attacks that landed me in the emergency room. This time though was different. I had knee replacement surgery, and the surgeon reported to me that I had tophi coated on all the ligaments and joints in my knee. That was after the surgery and it created such a gout flare up that I was put in the ICU for three days after surgery, with intravenous Dilaudid and the weaker morphine. Well, I used to like to drink gin. I haven't had a drink since that episode. I am three-quarters vegetarian now. I lost 30 pounds, I dropped from 220 to 190. I get regular exercise and flare ups still happen like waves rippling out from the initial attack, each one is weaker than the last. There is one practical piece of advice, or I should say my opinion as to deal with this, stay ahead of it. Get yourself a bottle of prednisone and stick it in the back of a door somewhere. Then, when on Friday night a flare up occurs you don't have to suffer until Monday to get to the doctor (if you can get in). Take 40 mg for 4 days, 30 mg for three days, and 20 for two days. Naprosyn, colchicine, meloxicam, Indocin, they all work, but not like prednisone.

Comment from: Vince555, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

Most of you are missing one important gout producer - sugar. Table sugar, honey, fruit juice, high fructose corn sugar, etc. are all 50 to 100 percent fructose. Anything sweet (that is not an artificial sweetener) probably has lots of fructose. All fructose intake produces uric acid, period. Think about how many foods contain sugar and you'll understand why sugar is a major player. You need to cut your sugar intake as much as possible to beat gout. By the way, alcohol and fructose are very close cousins (chemically).

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I eat only vegetables. I suffer with pain in joints of big toes and thumbs.

Comment from: agnes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I was diagnosed with gout in a thumb a few months ago. After taking Uloric for 2 months my physician took me off the meds and there have been no symptoms for a few months. I had a small cocktail on Tuesday night and the gout symptoms returned the next morning. I had swelling up my wrist and hand with lots of pain. Last night I drank a triple berry smoothie with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, bananas, milk, yogurt, and ice. I also drank water before going to bed. I believe that the smoothie ingredients and water helped to relieve the pain and I awoke with no swelling and no pain!

Comment from: js, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had gout flares three times. The last two were six months apart and extremely painful. I just had a uric acid level done but it is normal. The doctor says it is still gout. You can still get it even if level is normal. I don't eat a lot of red meat or drink beer, so I don't know what causes it for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

When I was diagnosed with gout largely because I realized that it was what I had since my brother has had it for decades. I learned that estrogen protects women from gout so I asked about it as treatment to no avail. I will not take any of the drugs prescribed for gout because of impact on liver, etc. I eliminated meat, some shellfish, beer and other high purine foods which are linked to uric acid production. I did lower my uric acid level but not as low as it should be. I hate to have to stop drinking wine, but I may.

Comment from: Sri Lankan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

My first few attacks, when I was about 57 years old were not diagnosed. I had excruciating pain in my big toes, spreading to the rest of the feet. I was prescribed antibiotics. About 18 months ago at age 62 a doctor diagnosed arthritic gout and it responded immediately to Famotidine and Diclofenac Sodium. This was followed by an injection to the right toe two weeks later which would settle it for good . Ten months later it was the left big toe, tablets followed by another injection. But three weeks ago, Age 63, it was the left hip area. The pain was much less acute, but it seems chronic. This must be hereditary. I've been a teetotaler all my life. I've decided to carry tablets around with me at all times.

Comment from: refiman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I drank an ocean of beer for the last 40 years and at 61 came down with gout. I quit alcohol, red meats and all shell fish

Comment from: Angelo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I've had gout since I was 17. And after several attacks, I had a study done on my urine output over a 24 hour period. Come to find out my body produces an extremely high amount of uric acid. Daily meds kept it under control for years but the crystals kept forming and attaching themselves to the balls of my feet. Now 30 years later, I not only have the uric acid crystal bunions but it attacks other areas like my elbow and my fingers. I have stopped drinking alcohol and eating red meat to no avail.

Comment from: Anmol, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am from India, purely vegetarian, extremely low intake of alcohol, still I had a gout attack at the age of 32.

Comment from: Samantha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My test revealed 7.9 uric acid level. I cut out alcohol, red meat, shellfish and other high-purine foods completely AND I began taking a highly-touted cherry extract supplement. After two months a new test revealed my uric acid level was exactly the same at 7.9.

Comment from: tonyccc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I have had gout for years, and tried just about everything without success. I reduced meat to a minimum, and stopped drinking alcohol altogether. I was having lots of fruit and vegetables and my gout was worsening. Finally I read something about excessive fructose increasing uric acid. I experimented reducing my fruit intake, and bingo! Within days I saw a dramatic improvement. Cherries are the only exception. I eat a lot of them when in season, with no ill effects.

Comment from: Marty49, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have had attacks for years, 2-3 a year. Colchicine worked very well especially if taken quickly when an attack first starts.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

I have gout and have changed my diet to include low fat, low cholesterol, and no red meat or shell fish.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

No red meats. Chicken is good as well as veggies, soups, and milk.

Comment from: wiser now, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I believe I caused gout by taking the supplement Mega Red which is krill oil. I didn't realize that krill are shellfish - there is an advisory on the bottle.

Comment from: Chezzy111, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

For months now I have had stiff hands usually my middle three fingers including my wrists. Also affected are my heals and some areas of my feet. I thought I was getting arthritis. It didn't cross my mind that this could be gout because great toes are not affected. Visiting my GP who requested blood tests and prescribed Ibruprofen. I was mortified this is gout an old man's disease. However after weeks of not drinking alcohol and increasing my water intake not much has changed.

Choi, H.K., S. Liu, and G. Curhan. "Intake of Purine-Rich Foods, Protein, and Dairy Products and Relationship to Serum Levels of Uric Acid: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Arthritis Rheum 52 (2005): 283-289.

Firestein, Gary S., et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, Ninth Edition. China: Elsevier Health, 2012.

Lawrence, R.C., D.T. Felson, C.G. Helmick, et al. "Estimates of the Prevalence of Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Conditions in the United States. Part II." Arthritis Rheum 58 (2008): 26-35.