Viewer Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

...
Comment from: lilymaster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 26, but I had symptoms since age 21 shortly after I had pneumonia and almost died. I was tested because I was depressed, had hair loss to the point where I was balding, and brain fog. I was fine on Synthroid at 50 mcg until after I had my daughter at age 37. After my daughter, I gained 40 pounds despite being an avid runner, again had hair loss and brain fog. My old endocrinologist put me on 88 mcg and my TSH was 3.7. I went to a new endocrinologist, mainly because I moved to a new state. He is amazing. He diagnosed me with Hashimoto's thyroiditis about a year ago. He put me on a higher dosage of at first 100 mcg, then 112 mcg to alleviate my symptoms. My TSH dropped from 3.7 to 2.1 to 0.3 and I lost 30 pounds, thanks to going gluten-free and exercise. Then, he decreased my dosage to 100 mcg and 112 mcg alternating the two every other day, because I was having hyper symptoms. I went back about 3 weeks ago and my TSH was at 3.25! I've always used Synthroid, not generic. Crazy this Hashimoto's. I am now on Tirosint 112 mcg. I have to say that I'm feeling the same. I don't stress out about my TSH, because it's not like I can make my body behave itself. I keep exercising, cook and eat gluten-free, stay busy. I hope that there will be a cure someday.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am 46, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) in 2014. My main symptoms were extreme tiredness, weight gain, brain fog, depression, difficulty concentrating or having any real interest in anything, tinnitus, feeling cold, vitiligo, hair loss and withdrawal from social activity, patches of dry skin, pressure behind eyes, itchy and sensitive skin around eyes, worsening vision, dizziness, itchy arms and legs, water retention, aches and pains. I started on 50 mcg of levothyroxine and am now on 125 mcg. I don't feel much better, I am hoping my last increase of levothyroxine helps and I have also started to supplement iron, B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3 and magnesium. Apparently it is important to get all nutrient levels up in order to get the best from the thyroid medications. I am moody, impatient and constantly tired, cold and hungry. I do have hope as I know some people feel better once they have started to look after their diet, etc. I have cut right down on gluten and the bloating has improved, I now have to watch the goitrogenic foods and aim to cut down on dairy. It is a total lifestyle change, and a much lesser life to be honest. I cry on a regular basis for no real reason and eat like an elephant. I have gained 3 and a half stone. When I get a bit of energy I may look into natural thyroid hormone replacement but at the moment there is so much information to take in so slowly does it.

Comment from: Vicky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for about 10 years, it is not a picnic. My heart is missing beats but strong, eyes are getting worse, and knees are wearing out. I used to weigh 160 lb. and was very active. I now weigh 260 lb., feel awful, and cold; so cold. I try to stay away from sick people as I get sick, really sick. I have flu shot every year. I watch what I eat, calories 1400 a day. I feel so hungry sometimes, I feel like an animal. My hair is falling out all over, I have to tie it up to cook otherwise hair in food. Where I sit I have to vacuum every day. But I have a good doctor.

Comment from: Peaches, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I am not sure if I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis or hypothyroidism. My first endocrinologist said I have Hashimoto's. When they first told me I have papillary carcinoma I had one side of my goiter removed. After my surgery I never was given any radiation treatment. I'm kind of confused. I was told I should've been given that treatment. I use to be 95 lb. to 105 lb. in my late 30s now I'm 202 lb. I'm constantly tired. Every part of my joints hurt, my muscles hurt, I fell a couple of times, and I even had 3 injections in my knee. I tried all kinds of diet, even juicing and natural. I don't know what to do. I keep telling my doctors I tried all kinds of diet. I use to be very active. How do I get my doctors to listen! When your fatigue is so high how you do get them to listen! I can eat small portions and not even in between. I even think about fasting like when I was younger where we would make a bet between relatives to get them motivated. I heard about Armour thyroid. I will suggest it but also heard that many endocrinologists would put it down. I don't know what I can do to rebuild my metabolism. At times I just want to stop taking my Synthroid.

Comment from: Gary, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm 52 yrs old tomorrow March 4. I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 2 weeks ago. I have suffered the last five months with hives and pin prick itch and really hot skin sometimes, mostly around the neck. The skin on arms sometimes feels like a very mild sunburn...energy has been good...always been a moody worry wart person my whole life so don't think I can blame my anxiety and depression on Hashimoto's I guess in the scope of things that you can get this isn't so bad for me as of yet the odd thing is I don't see many people complain about the symptoms I have also just want to say make sure you insist on getting the medical care you want and deserve. I spent 5 months and 4 doctors to finally find one that listened and was determined to find out my problem my GP I think, just tuned me out and chalked everything up to anxiety by the way my tch always checked fine and still does but my internal medicine specialist decided to test for antigens and I was loaded with them I guess. I hope they find a cure for these autoimmune diseases soon as my son and brother in law have another form of auto called crohn's.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hashimoto's Disease

Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism Hyperthyroidism refers to a condition in which the thyroid gland produces too much learn more >>
Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not produce enough learn more >>
Myxedema Coma
Myxedema Coma The thyroid gland at the front of the neck is responsible for helping to regulate learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hashimoto's Thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Experience

Please share your experience with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatments

How was your Hashimoto's thyroid disease treated?