Head Injury (Traumatic Brain Injury)

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Paul, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I fell over after taking multiple medicines, going to the loo. I have what feels like swelling from my forehead back to roughly my ear line. I banged my head off the concrete wall and then the floor without a chance to put my arms out. I also have 2 black eyes.

Comment from: Lydua, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 20

The other night I slipped and fell face first on the concrete floor. My eye is all swollen and the front of my forehead is numb, towards the back of my head am I all right.

Comment from: klucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

Over 4 decades ago I was at some party when a couple of girls came over looking for help because some males were looking to rob their party, threatening them with bricks. I went to their rescue, intervened on their behalf and ended up with a traumatic brain injury. I also lost smelling and taste, have constant tinnitus (getting louder) and memory issues. I am now learning to deal with it, sadly; lesson learned.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was helping my husband place a ladder so that he could get some of the ice and snow off the roof. An icicle hit the back of my head as I was leaning over. It hurt. I feel nauseas still. This occurred about 2 hours ago.

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I was hit with an axe to the side of the head fracturing my temporal bone. I awoke with a priest throwing water on me. I have vertigo, epilepsy, headaches, facial paralysis, hearing loss, ringing of the ears, and posttraumatic stress disorder. It happened in 1989 and I still have dreams of someone trying to kill me but have no memory of the event nor do I know who did it.

Comment from: marilyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had closed head concussion one month ago. I was ok but hit my head on July 23, 2018 on the counter shelf in my bathroom. I wonder if it is necessary to go to the emergency room.

Comment from: Pink, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was shot in the head with a gun. I'm missing quite a lot of my brain and they've put in a metal plate. This was about 10 year ago, I'm driving with my one hand, driving feels free.

Comment from: Kevin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I was doing an incline bench press at the gym yesterday morning (I was holding my breath during the lift.) On the last rep, as I was at the peak of exertion, I felt a sharp pain on the side of my head, and a throbbing headache ensued. I thought it might be temporary so I tried to do decline press. After doing a few reps my head pounded even harder and I even think I tasted\smelled blood. (But it may have been the metallic smell on my hands from the bar.) I stopped lifting and for the rest of the day had a pretty bad throbbing headache. Thought it would go away at night, and it did go down some, but sleeping in different positions made the pressure worse in some spots. Woke up this morning and have slight pressure on both sides of head and upper neck seems very stiff. Called my doctor and am waiting for reply on if I should go see her, go to urgent care or other.

Comment from: JohnM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I fell asleep while driving and ended out spinning around and landing in the median. I can't remember the first maybe 5 minutes after this happened. I didn't think I had hit my head, so when EMS (emergency medical technicians) arrived, I told them I was ok. Once I received the crash report, I was shocked at what they said about the first few minutes because I don't remember any of that. I remember everything following this in detail. I wonder if I could have had a concussion and not known it.

Comment from: Tara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I fell backwards on the ice while trying to skate and I did not have a helmet on. I hit the back of my head very hard and felt I had broken my skull. The doctor checked for serious concussion signs and I was okay. She said I probably have a mild concussion. My symptoms were headache, dizziness, and the sense of tiny beads shaking in my brain. It has been one month now and I am slowly feeling better.

Comment from: Noelle1212, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was working a Mardi Gras ball (for some of you that may not know what that is, it's basically a huge parade and they have balls afterward). I got hit in the head with a huge pack of beads. I didn't lose consciousness but I became really dizzy. I didn't really understand what just happened. My friends made me go to first aid where they told me I could have a concussion and wanted me to wait for the doctor. My symptoms just became worse and I could hardly see anymore. Everything made my head hurt. I was really nauseous and my throat was tight. It felt like I couldn't breathe. The doctor finally came and said I needed to be transported to the emergency room. I felt really tired and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. Apparently this is an indication of something big because I had no alcohol in my body. They did a CT scan and it came up where I had bleeding on the left side of my brain, which was weird because I got hit in the middle. I had to stay for observation and they did another CT scan a day later. It came out the same so the doctor sent me home. There is not a minute that goes by that I do not have a headache. I am still awaiting my follow-up.

Comment from: acedaissie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was hit in the head with a steel chisel while working. It bounced back and hit me square in the head about an inch over my right eye. It swelled instantly to the size of a marble. I did not black out, but was dazed. After icing it, the swelling reduced. I felt fine, but sore. It has been 8 days and now I'm having severe headaches during activities ONLY, with ear aches, sore throat and pressure inside the roof of my eye socket. I went to the hospital last night and a CT scan was done, but I was told it was just a contusion. Today my symptoms have gotten worse. I'm thinking the hospital might has misdiagnosed me because I'm still in a lot pain, and I'm wondering how much worse this is going to get.

Comment from: timca, 25-34 Male Published: September 11

I suffered from a major head injury. I am a man from Great Britain and this is my story of what happened to me that changed my life. It all started on January the forth, I was a student studying film production at university. I had a part time job which I was working on new years eve, so I didn't get the chance to go out, celebrate and party like all my university friends were doing so we rescheduled for the forth of January. As the weather was cold (January usually is in Britain!) and very icy. I was unfortunate that night and slipped over on the ice and banged my head. At first I was alright but after a short while my friends started noticing I wasn't making any sense in what I was talking about and acting peculiar so they phoned me for an ambulance (this I have no recollection of). I was then taken to hospital and they said I had suffered from a blood clot (subdural hematoma) due to the accident. I was then induced into a controlled coma which I remained in for the next four months. I recovered fairly well due to circumstances and I was then transferred to a specialist head injury care home. This is where I started realizing what had happened to me, my memory was terrible, I was in a wheelchair, I couldn't walk, I couldn't speak properly and had many other neurologic problems. I was in the care home for about another eight-nine months before I was discharged. In this nine months I relearned practically everything again, to walk, to speak, to interact in conversation, loads of occupational therapy. I now live my life to the full, and I am so happy that I managed to live through such a traumatic experience. I hope this has been of some use to you and thanks for reading.

Comment from: accident prone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I hit my head on a shelf last night that had a nail sticking out of it. I expected to get a horrible headache but never did. Today it's very sore and my head is numb, almost like I had a local anesthetic. I'm a little concerned about it.

Comment from: clumbsy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I tripped and fell hitting a concrete porch, face first. I think my lips, chin area hit first, but realized I had a golf-ball sized knot on my forehead. three days later, my left eye is swollen, black, and red.

Comment from: Searcher, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

I fell in the shower and hit my head severely. That was five days ago. my right eye still hurts if I look left right up or down without turning my head. I took an extra hard hit on that side of my forehead. I also have a black eye. I fear my eye could be damaged.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

At about 7:20 this morning I was lying in a chair half-awake, half-asleep when I heard a loud crash and realized that the chair had fallen over backwards and I had hit my head on a wood and metal counter in back of me. From what I remember, the upper right area of my head hit the counter. I have a slight fever, I feel tired, and I am getting minor headache sensations on the right side of my head every few minutes.

Comment from: MADD, Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was in an 18-wheelertruck accident and we turned over on my side. I hit my head on the window and my sun glasses cut my eye just below my eye brow my whole face was bruised. Where I hit my head was numb I asked the doctor if it was normal she said yes could take 6 to 8 weeks. I am going to the doctor tomorrow my head is still numb and I am now getting severe headaches. It's now been 3 months being a truck driver I can't have headaches like this!

Comment from: Marshall, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Hi, about 2.5 years ago while I was at work, there were 5 or 6 electrical contractors working above our lunch room putting new electric cables in. One of the contractors fell through the ceiling and brought a big chunk of ceiling down on to me. It hit me on the head, neck, and top of the shoulders. It also slammed my head into the table where I was sitting. I momentarily blacked out. I received severe head and deep tissue injuries that I still haven't recovered from. One of the side effects that I noticed was that some of my teeth started to crack, and eventually have fallen out since the accident.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I feel while roller skating and hit my head very hard. I lost consciousness for about a minute and immediately had a knot the size of a baseball on the back of my head. That was 24 hours ago. My head still really hurts, my neck is terribly sore.

Comment from: jade1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I hurt my temple in a work-related injury. I have a concussion and at first the doctors told me that I just had some soft tissue damage. I started to vomit and I had difficulty walking. When I went to my private doctor to get a second look, I was rushed to the ER and diagnosed with a concussion. I'm still experiencing migraine headaches and I am on medications for them, but they don't seem to help. I'm still searching to get better.

Comment from: Andrea, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have a hatch back trunk, and one of the shocks on my trunk was bad. I didn't know this until the trunk fell on my head. This hurt so badly. I was dizzy for about two-three hours. This happened to me about a month ago. Since then, I have experienced dizziness, blurred vision, repetitive head ache, and bad circulation (feet and hands turning blue). I thought this would go away, but it's really bothering me. I have decided to see my doctor this week, and I pray the outcome is not bad.

Comment from: tammy, Female Published: January 11

I slipped on ice and hit my head hard on the cement. My nose is purple and draining. I don't feel sick or anything, I just look like Tyson hit me.

Comment from: bev, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

As an outcome of a head injury, I can not remember films or people's names. Sometimes I forget the stove is on and I have left the bath running. It has affected my family life and my relationship with my husband.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I'm a 45 year old male who suffered a depressed Skull Fracture my senior year in high school. I have lived a lifetime with this horrible head injury and I don't think there's any way out. I have 3 children and a wife. I lack motivation. I think too deeply. I cannot keep up conversation. I find myself acting sometimes on impulse. I CANNOT KEEP A JOB.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 11

While attempting to jump down the stairs, I hit my head on the corner of a soffit. Then I hit the back of my head on the steps. Witnesses told me I then had a seizure. I had stitches for the gash on top of my head. I didn't remember much and felt bad for a few days after the accident, but never had another seizure. This happened on my 13th birthday. I am now an adult.

Comment from: MadisonsMessenger, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

One month ago 18/10/09 my granddaughter fell down 5 steps hitting her head on ceramic floor, within the hour parents had her at the ER she was vomiting and drowsy, and her speech was slurred when she was questioned by a nurse. The ER doctor discharges her an hour and a half later with HI sheet of symptoms she had 3 of the 6 already. Five hours later my daughter brings Madi back to ER unconscious and still vomiting. A CT reveals large epidural hematoma and linear fracture in skull, her brain was swelling and she was put on life support an hour after her second arrival. She was airlifted to McMaster Children's Hospital for emergency brain surgery. The three-hour surgery that saved her life, but it left her with a titanium plate and 4 screws in her skull. She has an incision from her hairline down the back of her head to just above her right ear. The negligence of the ER sending a 4 yr old home with a near fatal head injury after just a short observation sounds like a lawsuit to me.

Comment from: JMH, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

My husband received a closed head injury 13 months ago. He has mild to severe headaches every day. When the headaches are severe, his balance is bad and he falls sometimes. It has gone on long enough that he is getting depressed about always feeling bad. The medications help sometimes, but the headache never goes away.

Comment from: Mrs.Tlove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I can't quite figure out what to make of my head injury. I fell and hit the corner of an end table. I was instantly knocked out for a good while and I couldn't comprehend much. I could hear what people we saying to me but couldn't answer them right away. I have a good sized bump on my head after. Well it's been about a week and I still have a massive headache, and I only find it's getting worse. I still have the bump on the back of my head too. I never went to the hospital because I thought it would go away. My symptoms include nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and sensitivity to light and sound.

Comment from: Wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

Got whacked in the head the other day by a golf ball ... no mark on the head but is extremely tender to the touch. Am wondering if I should get this checked.

Comment from: thru the cracks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am trying to figure out the difference between depression, closed brain injury frustration and disappointment, and the so many doctors who take notes, ask what other specialists are telling me, give me nothing to help my pain and headaches. Then tell me they will see me in two-three months. I was in an auto accident back in December of 2008. I suffered closed brain injury, neck bulge, and back problems. I have seen specialists, neurologists, family doctor, pain management doctor, pain management psychologist. I had to apply for welfare to help me with medications that I had to stop taking because of having reactions to taking 90 mg of Cymbalta, 900 mg of Gabapentin. I was paying out of pocket 298.00 per month plus my own insurance for over 9 months trying to get better, but to no avail. I suffer with so much pain. I wrote and begged for help from Cymbalta and other organizations to no avail. I wish I could offer supportive information but the truth is that if you are of regular age you will wait over two years for disability hearing, over a year for housing application to be reviewed, and doctors not stepping up and helping. So, to you closed brain injury people good luck.

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female Published: October 07

Four days ago, I was kneeling on the ground working underneath a steel table. When I attempted to get up, I miscalculated and hit my head hard on the edge of the table, seeing stars before my eyes. It took my breath away and I just sat there for a while before attempting to get up. Immediately had a knot on my head. I still have some pain on the left base of the head and upper part of the neck. I have hit my head before, but never this hard.

Comment from: TxLillie39, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I slipped down a concrete steps that had four steps. It was wet from the rain. My bottem landed on the last step at the bottem and my back hit the second step from the top. My head went back due to the pain. My daughter who is 12 keppt telling me I was ok..moreless asking me. She said I closed my eyes started shaking (whole) body and I went to the right like I was falling over and hit my head on her knee and landed on the ground like I fell over hit my head on the ground and was stilling shaking but, I black-out. Woke up like I had just woke up from a deep sleep laying on the wet ground. Went to the hospital and the diagnosed me with a head injury and a strain on my back.

Comment from: paula, Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was struck on the right temperal side of my face with a very heavy glass and I have had severe headaches and stay dizzy and confused all the time I have short term memory loss and I am undergoing tests to see the severity of the injury.

Comment from: richierich504, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

In 2000, I was struck by a falling tree about eight to ten inches around. I was wearing a hard hat at the time and went through every kind of x ray, CT, MRI. I started having headaches and as a rule, those headaches that were daily, often went to migraines. I have been through the narcotic dance and of course, with that much pain, eventually got physically dependent on medication. I now have my dependence under control and really, have controlled the headaches with doctor prescribed methadone in the amount of 30 MG a day! Mostly this keeps me under control. I haven't had a headache since I got regulated on the methadone. I was recently forced into early retirement from a 21 year job as a Parole/Probation Officer. My question is, I believe that the blow to my head made some changes in my personality. I was a cop for ten years before going into Probation and Parole as an officer. I was a steady church going family man for the most part. I wasn't perfect by any means, but since the blow to my head I have had problems with narcotics, alcohol, (lightly a problem), gambling and overeating. I have gained a hundred pounds since I got hurt and nearly lost my home and everything near and dear to me with gambling addiction. I was fifty years old at the time of my trauma and I am currently 59. I am really wondering if the blow to the head could have been responsibly for the changes in my life.

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

American Academy of Pediatrics.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Injury Prevention & Control: Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stiel IG, et al. The Canadian CT Head Rule for Patients with Minor Head Injury. Lancet 2001;357:1391-96.

S.A. Schutzman, MD, P. Barnes MD, A. Duhaime, MD, D. Greenes, MD, C. Homer, MD, D. Jaffe, MD, R. J. Lewis, MD, PHD, T. G. Luerssen, MD, J. Schunk, MD; "Evaluation and Management of Children Younger Than Two Years Old With Apparently Minor Head Trauma: Proposed Guidelines." Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Vol. 107 No. 5

Wolfson AB. Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2009.