Head Injury (Brain Injury)

What tests were performed for your head injury? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: missy, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

When my son was 13 he fell off the back of a truck going 5 miles per hour and hit his head. He ended up with a crack in the skull behind his ear and small bleeding that formed. He recovered but now that he is 14, I am seeing a lot of behavioral issues with some psychosis. I am trying to get him back into a neurologist to check and see if the head injury has anything to do with his issues. I have had him evaluated for suicidal thoughts 3 times since August. I don't know where to turn when he has no insurance. His insurance lapsed last year and he couldn't get back on it.

Comment from: jujibeez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

At the age of five I fell and hit the back of my head on a coffee table, and I was never taken to the emergency room, Today I am 35 and I still get pain in that area.

Comment from: eke rettig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a fall last Sunday and I went to the ER. I have 10 staples and a night spent overnight in the hospital. Everything looked good with the CT scan so they sent me home. I've been sleeping most of the week. My doctor removed the staples yesterday and ever since then I've been experiencing nausea, bad headache, and dizziness.

Comment from: jennijoe617 , 35-44 Female Published: July 18

A few years ago I fell of my porch and hit the left side of my forehead on the air conditioner. I think it knocked me out for a few seconds. I did not go to the hospital, though I had a huge knot and a headache. I have hurt my head before and I have epilepsy.

Comment from: suzyq, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was punched in the left side of my head near my temple above my ear. Since then I have been having trouble opening my mouth.

Comment from: The Contessa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Doctor at Urgent Care tested neurologically, using hand symptoms to see if I could understand her instructions, follow her instructions, and understand what was going on. Doctor did not order the CT scan.

Comment from: Luckylady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have lived with a closed head injury for 38 yrs and had many evaluations. I have had MRIs, CT Scans and IQ tests with accompanying eye and hand coordination tests.

Comment from: Nova, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 14

My son fell, hit his head and he became semiconscious for a while. I took to the hospital where they took an X-ray and confirmed a skull injury.

Comment from: Pat R., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I fell on ice 4 months ago. I had a CT scan done. It showed no skull damage. I have an area on the back of my skull that feels like there is a dented in area that was not there before the fall. My doctor doesn't feel like there is anything wrong. I don't know what to do next. I still have headaches and some memory problems. I am 64, so memory loss is put off to age.

Comment from: Mikki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I fell down 14 stairs and hit my head (where forehead meets hairline) and cut the back(3 staples) I lay there for 15 minutes not knowing where I was or what had happened. I didn't lose consciousness, but, kept fading. Foolishly, I didn't call the medics and went to the local walk-in where my cut was stapled. A week later I woke up and when in a doctor's office passed out with no warning. It happened again that week. My doc ordered a CT scan but nothing else. I am still having headaches 15 months later. For the first 2 month, I threw up with every episode and for the next 11 months I was sick to my stomach with them and lost 32 pounds. Now I can eat , but, I have weird feelings before a headache starts, such as, a metallic taste, words and lines "swimming" and blurring when trying to read, and a gradual vision loss. My doctor blew me off saying the CT was enough. I have an appointment with a neurologist. I am 62 and have rarely had a headache or any other problems even remotely related to this.

Comment from: smileesmith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

As I read these posts I wonder why people are waiting so long to go see their physicians- I just was operated for a subdural hematoma-- it was a matter of life or death-- I slightly hit my head on a rafter in my attic on Sunday- and Monday when the severe headache hit me- I was immediately taken to the hospital and operated on that afternoon-- PLEASE DO NOT WAIT and PLEASE do NOT try to figure out what is wrong - let the Physicians do that!

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fell and hit my head on a cement floor ice was applied, but a huge goose egg formed, and my blood pressure went sky high. I was carried by ambulance to our local hospital. I was given a scat test, and no blood was bleeding in my brain. But I continued to have severe pain and blood pressure soaring. So I was given several pain medications to help with the pain and bring down my pressure. After about five hours in ER, I was released, but my pressure was still above normal when I left the hospital. And I am concerned whether my heart could have been injured due to the extremely high pressure. I am 87, but feeling all right since I fell.

Comment from: julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was in my bedroom, and fell hard onto the floor, and went down on my left eye. I even got a rug burn from it. I did not go to the hospital, and all I have done since is sleep. I hit my eyebrow bone real hard.

• Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury.

Post View 35 Comments
  • Head Injury - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your head injury?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Head Injury (Brain Injury) - Symptoms

What is your experience with delayed symptoms of brain injury?

Post View 2 Comments

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

American Academy of Pediatrics.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Injury Prevention & Control: Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stiel IG, et al. The Canadian CT Head Rule for Patients with Minor Head Injury. Lancet 2001;357:1391-96.

S.A. Schutzman, MD, P. Barnes MD, A. Duhaime, MD, D. Greenes, MD, C. Homer, MD, D. Jaffe, MD, R. J. Lewis, MD, PHD, T. G. Luerssen, MD, J. Schunk, MD; "Evaluation and Management of Children Younger Than Two Years Old With Apparently Minor Head Trauma: Proposed Guidelines." Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Vol. 107 No. 5

Wolfson AB. Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2009.