Head Injury (Traumatic Brain Injury)

What treatment did you receive for your head injury? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: head injury, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

When I was age 14 I was hit in the head with a baseball bat. I was taken to the hospital and they took x-ray and gave me pain medication. Now I am 51 years of age, I still have memory problems. Now I have ringing in my lift ear.

Comment from: The Contessa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Felt fine and normal, but heard loud crack at hitting of head against corner of bookcase. I had swelling near my forehead on the side. I applied ice, and the swelling subsided but hurts to touch. I went to urgent care next morning (this happened at midnight). The doctor felt my head all over and asked for various neurological "tests" such as squeezing her fingers, following her moving finger with eyes only and not moving head, touching her finger and my nose in rapid succession. No problems.

Comment from: tech, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had an injury on the job. I work in a pharmacy and was sorting freight. I stepped over some sorting baskets to retrieve a large bottle that rolled out to the middle of the floor, lost my footing fell forward and sideways. I hit the right side of my head on a short wall next to one of the pharmacist's station. I was given an icepack for the pain. It has been four days. The only symptom I have been experiencing is an egg sized bump that is painful to the touch. My only concern is that I am on Plavix and low-dose aspirin.

Comment from: Brandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I went to the hospital where I was asked to walk a straight line, asked if I lost consciousness, asked if I vomited or felt sick to my stomach, had the large bump looked and a light shone in my left while I looked up, down, left and right. It was stated that I shouldn't fly and then I was sent home.

Comment from: signdoctor01, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

Working at a job site I fell in to a ditch broke my shoulder. The ladder fell on my face cutting my chin open also hit my head and had some bleeding on the brain. It's been 11 days I have not seen a doctor. I'm having lots of pain in my back neck shoulder I can't pick my arms up it hurts bad and no one cares.

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

American Academy of Pediatrics.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Injury Prevention & Control: Traumatic Brain Injury.

Stiel IG, et al. The Canadian CT Head Rule for Patients with Minor Head Injury. Lancet 2001;357:1391-96.

S.A. Schutzman, MD, P. Barnes MD, A. Duhaime, MD, D. Greenes, MD, C. Homer, MD, D. Jaffe, MD, R. J. Lewis, MD, PHD, T. G. Luerssen, MD, J. Schunk, MD; "Evaluation and Management of Children Younger Than Two Years Old With Apparently Minor Head Trauma: Proposed Guidelines." Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Vol. 107 No. 5

Wolfson AB. Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2009.