Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- Blood Clots
- What Is the Most Common Cause of Myocarditis?
- When Should You Worry About Dizziness?
- How Can I Check My Blood Pressure at Home Without a Machine?
- Heart Failure: Early Signs and Symptoms
- What Do High Blood Pressure Symptoms Feel Like?
- What Are the Silent Signs of a Heart Attack?
- Can a Hiatal Hernia Feel Like a Heart Attack?
- What Are the Four Stages of Congestive Heart Failure?
- What Does a High BNP Mean?
- What Is an Echocardiogram Used to Diagnose?
- How Serious Is an Irregular Heart Beat?
- What Are Four Common Types of Heart Disease?
- What Is the Normal Range for Cholesterol Levels?
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Health: What Is a Healthy and Normal Heart Rate for My Age?
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- How Your Blood Type Can Affect Your Health
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
- What Are Normal Blood Pressure Ranges by Age For Men and Women?
- Diet and Weight Management: Signs You're Eating Too Much Salt
- Heart Disease: Best and Worst Foods for Heart Failure
- Heart Disease: Pill-Free Ways to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk
- Atrial Fibrillation: Foods to Watch When You Have AFib
- Heart Disease: Understand Your Blood and Urine Test Results
- Heart Disease: Alternative Treatments for AFib
- Omega 3 Foods: Health Benefits, Research, Best Supplements
- Heart Disease: How to Help Prevent an AFib Attack
- Heart Health: What to Know About Your Heart Rate
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- FDA to Add Myocarditis Warning to mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines
- More Evidence Links COVID Vaccines to Rare Cases of Myocarditis in Youth
- J&J to Resume Vaccine Rollout in Europe
- Severe Obesity Persists, Takes High Cardiovascular Toll
- Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Decision Expected by Friday
- Stroke 'Not a Common Complication' in COVID-19: New Studies
- Pause of J&J COVID Vaccine in US Recommended by FDA and CDC
- Stroke Rate in COVID-19: A More Accurate Estimate
- Coffee Tied to Lower Heart Failure Risk
- White Bread Boosts Cardiovascular Disease, Deaths
- Cardiovascular Disease Remains Leading Killer, But COVID's Impact Still Unclear
- Ultraprocessed Food Again Linked to Increased CVD, Death
- Artificially Sweetened Drinks Tied to Higher Heart Risks
- Study Challenges 'Scoop and Run' Model for Cardiac Arrest
- Sarcoidosis May Raise Long-term Risk of Heart Failure and Death