Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- What Are the Four Stages of Congestive Heart Failure?
- What Does a High BNP Mean?
- What Is an Echocardiogram Used to Diagnose?
- How Serious Is an Irregular Heart Beat?
- What Are Four Common Types of Heart Disease?
- What Is the Normal Range for Cholesterol Levels?
- When Should You Be Concerned About Chest Pain?
- What Does a Mini Heart Attack Feel Like?
- How Can I Lower My Triglycerides Quickly?
- How Long Can You Live with Congestive Heart Failure?
- Why Is Your Arm or Hand Numb?
- How Serious Is Heart Ablation Surgery?
- What Are the Signs of An Impending Heart Attack?
- What Causes a Thrombus?
- What Are Antibiotic Prophylactic Regimens for Endocarditis?
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin () (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- What Are Normal Blood Pressure Ranges by Age For Men and Women?
- Diet and Weight Management: Signs You're Eating Too Much Salt
- Heart Disease: Best and Worst Foods for Heart Failure
- Heart Disease: Pill-Free Ways to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk
- Atrial Fibrillation: Foods to Watch When You Have AFib
- Heart Disease: Understand Your Blood and Urine Test Results
- Heart Disease: Alternative Treatments for AFib
- Omega 3 Foods: Health Benefits, Research, Best Supplements
- Heart Disease: How to Help Prevent an AFib Attack
- Heart Health: What to Know About Your Heart Rate
- Heart Palpitations: 14 Possible Causes and Should You Worry?
- Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & AFib Treatment
- Cardiac Arrest: What You Should Know
- Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
- Blood Clots: 4 Signs You Could Have One
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- Pause of J&J COVID Vaccine in US Recommended by FDA and CDC
- Stroke Rate in COVID-19: A More Accurate Estimate
- Coffee Tied to Lower Heart Failure Risk
- White Bread Boosts Cardiovascular Disease, Deaths
- Cardiovascular Disease Remains Leading Killer, But COVID's Impact Still Unclear
- Ultraprocessed Food Again Linked to Increased CVD, Death
- Artificially Sweetened Drinks Tied to Higher Heart Risks
- Study Challenges 'Scoop and Run' Model for Cardiac Arrest
- Sarcoidosis May Raise Long-term Risk of Heart Failure and Death
- Prediabetes, A 'Window of Opportunity' to Prevent Heart Disease?
- Ticagrelor-Aspirin Combo: Fewer Repeat Strokes, Deaths, but More Bleeds
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors Tied to Midlife Cognitive Decline
- USPSTF Reaffirms Hypertension Screening Recommendation
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID-19
- Healthy Habits Backslide After Starting Statins, Antihypertensives