Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- When Should You Be Concerned About Chest Pain?
- What Does a Mini Heart Attack Feel Like?
- How Can I Lower My Triglycerides Quickly?
- How Long Can You Live with Congestive Heart Failure?
- Why Is Your Arm or Hand Numb?
- How Serious Is Heart Ablation Surgery?
- What Are the Signs of An Impending Heart Attack?
- What Causes a Thrombus?
- What Are Antibiotic Prophylactic Regimens for Endocarditis?
- Why Are Diuretics Used in Heart Failure?
- What Foods Have the Highest Antioxidants?
- What Are the Five Signs of Stroke?
- What Does CHADS Score Mean?
- Is Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy a Heart Attack?
- Can Tetralogy of Fallot Be Cured?
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- Heart Health: What to Know About Your Heart Rate
- Heart Palpitations: 14 Possible Causes and Should You Worry?
- Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & AFib Treatment
- Cardiac Arrest: What You Should Know
- Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
- Blood Clots: 4 Signs You Could Have One
- Fitness and Exercise: Working Out When You're Over 50
- Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
- Picture of Balloon Angioplasty
- Picture of Pericardial Sac
- Picture of Pitting Edema
- Picture of Heart Catheter
- Picture of Heart
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- Artificially Sweetened Drinks Tied to Higher Heart Risks
- Study Challenges 'Scoop and Run' Model for Cardiac Arrest
- Sarcoidosis May Raise Long-term Risk of Heart Failure and Death
- Prediabetes, A 'Window of Opportunity' to Prevent Heart Disease?
- Ticagrelor-Aspirin Combo: Fewer Repeat Strokes, Deaths, but More Bleeds
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors Tied to Midlife Cognitive Decline
- USPSTF Reaffirms Hypertension Screening Recommendation
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID-19
- Healthy Habits Backslide After Starting Statins, Antihypertensives
- Aspirin in Older Adults Linked to Fewer Deaths
- Marijuana Use Linked to Stroke, Arrhythmia in Young People
- How Do You Stop an AFib Attack?
- What Does It Feel Like When You Have a Blood Clot in Your Leg (DVT)?
- Can a Person Live with Atrial Fibrillation?
- Intense Step Training May Improve Walking, Balance After Stroke