Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- Chest Pain
- What Does the Anion Gap Tell You?
- How Do You Know If You Have Brugada Syndrome?
- How Do You Get Kawasaki Disease?
- Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Heart Disease
- What Is a Normal Ankle Brachial Index?
- Electrocardiogram (ECG, EKG)
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Blood Test Chart Ranges
- Heart Failure: Early Signs and Symptoms
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG)
- Aortic Aneurysm (Abdomen and Thorax - Chest)
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax) (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- Heart Palpitations: 14 Possible Causes and Should You Worry?
- Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & AFib Treatment
- Cardiac Arrest: What You Should Know
- Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
- Blood Clots: 4 Signs You Could Have One
- Fitness and Exercise: Working Out When You're Over 50
- Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
- Picture of Balloon Angioplasty
- Picture of Pericardial Sac
- Picture of Pitting Edema
- Picture of Heart Catheter
- Picture of Heart
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID-19
- Healthy Habits Backslide After Starting Statins, Antihypertensives
- Aspirin in Older Adults Linked to Fewer Deaths
- Marijuana Use Linked to Stroke, Arrhythmia in Young People
- How Do You Stop an AFib Attack?
- What Does It Feel Like When You Have a Blood Clot in Your Leg (DVT)?
- Can a Person Live with Atrial Fibrillation?
- Intense Step Training May Improve Walking, Balance After Stroke
- Stress-Related Disorders Increase CVD Risk, Study Suggests
- FDA OKs First Targeted Therapy for Rare Blood Clotting Disorder
- Stroke Risk Should Be Reassessed Annually in A-Fib
- Increasing Stroke Incidence Among Marijuana Users
- How Do You Fix Low Blood Pressure?
- Mediterranean Diet Especially Protective Against Stroke in Women?
- FDA Approves Device for Treatment of Acute Coronary Artery Perforations