Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- How Much Heart Rate Variability Is Normal?
- What Is the Most Common Cause of Atrial Fibrillation?
- What a Heart Attack Really Feels Like
- How Do I Know If My Chest Pain Is Serious?
- Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
- What Are the First Signs of a Heart Attack in a Woman?
- Heart and Lung Transplant
- Ventricular Septal Defect
- What Are Target Heart Rates (Chart)?
- What Are Signs Your Heart Is Quietly Failing?
- Angina (Ischemic Chest Pain)
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Atrial Flutter
- Heart Attack
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- How Can I Lower My Blood Pressure Immediately, Naturally? Chart
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Health: What Is a Healthy and Normal Heart Rate for My Age?
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- How Your Blood Type Can Affect Your Health
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
- What Are Normal Blood Pressure Ranges by Age For Men and Women?
- Diet and Weight Management: Signs You're Eating Too Much Salt
- Heart Disease: Best and Worst Foods for Heart Failure
- Heart Disease: Pill-Free Ways to Cut Your Heart Disease Risk
- Atrial Fibrillation: Foods to Watch When You Have AFib
- Heart Disease: Understand Your Blood and Urine Test Results
- Heart Disease: Alternative Treatments for AFib
- Omega 3 Foods: Health Benefits, Research, Best Supplements
- Heart Disease: How to Help Prevent an AFib Attack
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- Mobile Stroke Units Linked to Reduced Stroke Disability
- Alcohol Ups Risk for Atrial Fibrillation Episode Hours Later
- FDA to Add Myocarditis Warning to mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines
- More Evidence Links COVID Vaccines to Rare Cases of Myocarditis in Youth
- J&J to Resume Vaccine Rollout in Europe
- Severe Obesity Persists, Takes High Cardiovascular Toll
- Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Decision Expected by Friday
- Stroke 'Not a Common Complication' in COVID-19: New Studies
- Pause of J&J COVID Vaccine in US Recommended by FDA and CDC
- Stroke Rate in COVID-19: A More Accurate Estimate
- Coffee Tied to Lower Heart Failure Risk
- White Bread Boosts Cardiovascular Disease, Deaths
- Cardiovascular Disease Remains Leading Killer, But COVID's Impact Still Unclear
- Ultraprocessed Food Again Linked to Increased CVD, Death
- Artificially Sweetened Drinks Tied to Higher Heart Risks