Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- What Does a Heart Attack Start Like?
- Can You Survive a Sudden Cardiac Arrest?
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT, PSVT)
- Can Arm Pain Make You Nauseous?
- Polycythemia Vera (High Red Blood Cell Count)
- What Causes a Slow Heart Rate?
- How Long Do People with Ebstein's Anomaly Live?
- Why Are Diuretics Used in Heart Failure?
- How Long Can You Live With Congestive Heart Failure?
- What Are the Four Stages of Congestive Heart Failure?
- What Causes Aortic Incompetence?
- Why Does My Lower Leg Ache at Night?
- What Does the Circulatory System Do?
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- Ten Things That Put Athletes at Risk for DVT
- DVT: Dos and Don’ts After a Blood Clot
- Surprising Causes of DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- What Are the 10 Best Foods to Fight Disease?
- A Visual Guide to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Blood Clots: 4 Signs You Could Have One
- Atrial Fibrillation: Foods to Watch When You Have AFib
- DVT: 12 Tips to Improve Your Circulation
- Atrial Fibrillation: How to Treat Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
- How Can I Lower My Blood Pressure Immediately, Naturally? Chart
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Health: What Is a Healthy and Normal Heart Rate for My Age?
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- How Your Blood Type Can Affect Your Health
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- How Do You Stop an AFib Attack?
- What Does It Feel Like When You Have a Blood Clot in Your Leg (DVT)?
- Can a Person Live with Atrial Fibrillation?
- How Do You Fix Low Blood Pressure?
- What Is the Survival Rate for Congestive Heart Failure?
- What Is the Main Cause of Heart Failure?
- What Is the Last Stage of Heart Failure?
- Can You Reverse Heart Failure?
- Can Atrial Fibrillation Go Away on Its Own?
- How Do You Know if You Have Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)?
- What Can Trigger Atrial Fibrillation?