Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combination of fatty material, calcium, and scar tissue (plaque) builds up in the arteries that supply the heart with blood. Through these arteries, called the coronary arteries, the heart muscle (myocardium) gets the oxygen and other nutrients it needs to pump blood.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Heart Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Heart Health Related Resources
Heart Health Articles
- What Are the Signs of An Impending Heart Attack?
- What Causes a Thrombus?
- What Are Antibiotic Prophylactic Regimens for Endocarditis?
- Why Are Diuretics Used in Heart Failure?
- What Foods Have the Highest Antioxidants?
- What Are the Five Signs of Stroke?
- What Does CHADS Score Mean?
- Is Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy a Heart Attack?
- Can Tetralogy of Fallot Be Cured?
- How Serious Is von Willebrand Disease?
- What Is the Life Expectancy of Someone with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy?
- DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis Blood Clot in the Leg)
- Chest Pain
- What Does the Anion Gap Tell You?
- How Do You Know If You Have Brugada Syndrome?
Heart Health Medications
- dronedarone (Multaq) (Multaq)
- prasugrel (Effient) (Effient)
- regadenoson (Lexiscan) (Lexiscan)
- ranolazine (Ranexa) (Ranexa)
- hydralazine and isosorbide dinitrate (BiDil) (BiDil)
- eplerenone (Inspra) (Inspra)
- bivalirudin (Angiomax) (Angiomax)
- argatroban (Acova)
- tenecteplase (TNKase) (TNKase)
- aspirin and dipyridamole (Aggrenox) (Aggrenox)
- dofetilide (Tikosyn) (Tikosyn)
- cilostazol (Pletal) (Pletal)
- eptifibatide (Integrilin) (Integrilin)
- tirofiban (Aggrastat) (Aggrastat)
- clopidogrel (Plavix) (Plavix)
Heart Health Images and Slideshows
- Heart Palpitations: 14 Possible Causes and Should You Worry?
- Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & AFib Treatment
- Cardiac Arrest: What You Should Know
- Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
- Blood Clots: 4 Signs You Could Have One
- Fitness and Exercise: Working Out When You're Over 50
- Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
- Picture of Balloon Angioplasty
- Picture of Pericardial Sac
- Picture of Pitting Edema
- Picture of Heart Catheter
- Picture of Heart
- Stroke Causes, Symptoms, and Recovery
- Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
- Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart Health Quizzes
Heart Health News
- Prediabetes, A 'Window of Opportunity' to Prevent Heart Disease?
- Ticagrelor-Aspirin Combo: Fewer Repeat Strokes, Deaths, but More Bleeds
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors Tied to Midlife Cognitive Decline
- USPSTF Reaffirms Hypertension Screening Recommendation
- Blood Clotting, Strokes in Young Adults With COVID-19
- Healthy Habits Backslide After Starting Statins, Antihypertensives
- Aspirin in Older Adults Linked to Fewer Deaths
- Marijuana Use Linked to Stroke, Arrhythmia in Young People
- How Do You Stop an AFib Attack?
- What Does It Feel Like When You Have a Blood Clot in Your Leg (DVT)?
- Can a Person Live with Atrial Fibrillation?
- Intense Step Training May Improve Walking, Balance After Stroke
- Stress-Related Disorders Increase CVD Risk, Study Suggests
- FDA OKs First Targeted Therapy for Rare Blood Clotting Disorder
- Stroke Risk Should Be Reassessed Annually in A-Fib