Heart Attack

What were the symptoms of your heart attack? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Midnight666, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had my heart attack at 47, 11 days before I turned 48. I was cutting the grass and went in to get a glass of water and sat down to talk to my grandson. I have always overheated easily and went to sit in front of a fan to cool off. I felt a little nausea (normal for me when overheated), but never was sick though. No pain at all. Only clue to problem was my hands curled in and would not uncurl. I had my grandson call 911. Ambulance crew said I was in full STEMI (ST elevation myocardial infarction). I was flown directly to a cardiac hospital and into catheter lab. Three minutes after hitting the table, I coded 4 times. Stents were placed while I was being shocked. I am glad to be alive. My husband was going through stage 4 prostate cancer that had spread to the bones and was in no shape to care for himself. I was his caregiver. The next day I was released and still here. Thanks to the doctors and the ambulance crew for the quick recognition of my signs. I did find out that I had had 3 heart attacks in my 20s as well; old scarring on the heart. Lucky to be alive. Sad to say my husband passed away this May, but thankful that I was here to take care of him and love him for that extra time.

I am a 58-year-old female who had a heart attack three weeks ago. The symptoms had been there for about a month: brief periods of a burning pain in my chest, and pain in my jaw, face, shoulder, back and arm, all on the right side. I awoke in the night with the pain and this time it wouldn't ease up. I took aspirins and started vomiting. I went to the emergency room and it was determined that I was having a heart attack. Three stents were placed in my heart. I've been home for almost three weeks and doing a total lifestyle change. I am not overweight and I have low blood pressure, and the pain was on my right side instead of the left. It's best to get all pain diagnosed instead of waiting like I did. A heart attack can hit women in many different ways.

Comment from: sanjay, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 28

I had a stent in my heart 6 weeks ago. I get pain in the back between my shoulders and in my chest in the same place. I am 34 years old. I wonder if these are heart attack symptoms.

Comment from: Angie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had heart attack in September of 2016 and while I seem to be doing better I am having sore stiff neck pain and I don't know if there is any relation to my heart failure. I am starting to have arthritis in my fingers and now I am having awful neck pain. I'm not sure what is going on.

Comment from: mrogerson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was a 32 year old female who worked in the hospital. I had worked all day and had 1 more hour left of my shift. I went out to smoke as I always did. When I came back in, I was walking down the hall and I suddenly felt like I was getting the flu. All the joints in my upper body ached on both sides. I sat down for a bit. Someone was talking to me and I felt like I was fading away. I had to get up and move. I felt very agitated and couldn't sit still. Then the sweating came. In seconds, I was drenched. I told my coworkers that I didn't feel right and I was going to the ER. I thought it might be my blood sugar. The ER doc immediately pushed the chair I was in to the bed because he said something didn't look right. They did EKG and it was normal. About 10 mins. later I had a pain in the center of my chest. Did another EKG and said I was having a heart attack. They gave me Retavase and had me airlifted to the bigger hospital. I had a heart cath and 2 stents placed. 2 days later, I had another heart attack, another cath, and 2 more stents. Needless to say, I had major life changes. Quit smoking and try to live a healthy life. At 32 who would have thought. But it has been a year and I'm still here.

Comment from: Readyanytime24, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I googled and found jaw pain has been associated with heart attacks and came up to this website. I have been having a few instances where jaw was the first thing majorly hurting. One time while walking in to a store, it hit me. I went right back to the truck, lay down, and took aspirin. I should have gone to the emergency room, but dealt with feeling awful all day. The jaw pain has hit me a few times. If I have to go, it is ok, my wife passed away 4 years ago at 45.

Comment from: surviver, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was making myself a coffee, when all of a sudden I became light headed. I couldn't breathe. My legs were weak. I found my bed and for a short while I blacked out. Thanks to my dog, who continued to lick me on the face, keep me conscious that I managed to dial 911. I had no previous warning at all. It crept up on me. I had another heart attack 10 days later.

Comment from: Stan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Sixteen years ago I awoke about 2:00 A.M. with a tickle in my throat...I thought it was the onset of a sore throat. I gargled with some hot salt water and went back to bed. It was my day off and I just sat around and watched television. When my wife returned from work, she said that I didn't look well and took me to the emergency room. There was never any pain anywhere. There was a 90 percent blockage of one artery. Angioplasty was scheduled and that was when they discovered a one-half inch section of blocked artery. They removed it and placed two stents.

IMAGES

See Images
Comment from: JOEY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

When I was 57, I started freezing and I could not warm up. Then about 15 minutes later, I was sweating profusely. I had no pain or any other symptoms. I was lucky. I beat the widow maker.

Comment from: germshepard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I experienced an intense burning in my upper chest during physical activity. After stopping the activity I felt normal again until I tried the activity again. I was diagnosed with a blocked artery. They performed a catherization procedure, inserting a stent.

Comment from: Kattitude, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

For the past 3 days I have been having episodes of vomiting at night, last night the vomiting was so intense I had horrible jaw and pain in my left arm that lasted for several hours. Tonight, no vomiting, but after using the bathroom I immediately noticed my left arm hurting/tingling. My cardiologist said 90 days ago I was having 'silent heart attacks' but if I wasn't having pain not to worry. I think after reading the comments from other women on here, I will be calling him first thing tomorrow morning. I hope it's not too late.

Comment from: 64 year female, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

Both my parents died of heart disease. My father lived for 16 years dying from congestive heart failure. No attention was paid to my mother. She complained of shoulder pain related to her joints. Four months after my father died, she believed she had the flu dying 8 hours later from a major heart attack. When it comes to heart attacks, women do not always have pain in the chest. My mother died the same day she finally had chest pain.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a heart attack about a week and a half ago. I'm 52, female, and recently (month ago) had a normal EKG and normal cholesterol levels. On a Friday, I mowed my one-acre yard. Later, I went out to eat Mexican food, where I overindulged. On coming back home minor chest pain started (at the center of chest above my breasts). The pain came and went over and over, and I thought it was indigestion. This continued into the next day, Saturday. Sunday I felt better, with less pains, and I thought it was going away. Sunday night about 1 AM the pain came back much worse, and did not go away, no matter what position I was in. The pain was mainly in chest, but radiating down both arms and up into jaw. It was an all-encompassing ache and I didn't know how I would survive if it didn't stop. I was taken to hospital where I was told it was a heart attack and I needed a stent. It was performed quickly and no further problems yet.

Comment from: Wake up, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I'm a 49-year-old female. Everything started at work with sharp chest pains that lasted a couple of minutes and went away. My symptoms re-appeared a couple of hours later and went away, but by the evening I had a couple more with shorter intervals. At 3am next morning it felt as though I had airway infection and that was the cause of the sharp chest pains. By 5am both arms felt heavy and uncomfortable, was admitted to hospital by 8.30am after which the vomiting started. Did not realize it was a heart attack until stents were put in, and even then it was hard to believe.

Comment from: sugar bear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

My symptoms of a heart attack were: a very sore throat, which was present for a couple of days before heart attack, pain down both arms from shoulder to elbows, sweating, feeling faint, and like someone was sitting on my chest, also short of breath. It turns out my heart was 80% blocked and I had a second attack in the hospital. After being sent to a heart centre, a dye test was performed, and a stent was put in place.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I am a 53 year old woman, a junior high school teacher. I started to take my dog for a walk, and suddenly felt a tremendous weight on my chest. This was followed by a sharp chest pain that increased and then went down my left arm. I returned home and called the doctor, and was told to come right in. The EKG looked normal, but the blood test was positive for a heart attack. I passed a stress test, but had another heart attack 5 minutes later. The angiogram showed two blocked arteries. I had a stiff neck for three weeks prior to the attack, and tooth pain for 6 months, along with 5 years of migraines. Now all that is gone. I have low cholesterol, low blood pressure, not overweight, no family history.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 16

In June my very active and healthy 75 year old mother complained of a pain in her shoulder. Nothing great, just a dull ache. In August she complained of a cramp in her neck that was very uncomfortable, but went away. In September she was diagnosed with a 70, 80 and 90% blockage to her heart. In October she died after unsuccessful open-heart surgery left her already damaged heart too weak to supply blood to her organs. It's relatively quiet, alarmingly quick, and if you're not paying close attention, merciless. Older women MUST act on any of these symptoms immediately.

QUESTION

In the U.S., 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease. See Answer
Comment from: rodrencher, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I was up late and shortly after getting in bed, my upper jaw and teeth began to hurt badly. Within 2 to 5 minutes, the pain went to the middle of my chest and stayed there. No other pain or symptoms at all. I am 71 and had never been advised that I had bad cholesterol readings, although personal review of old and recent lipid tests showed I did not have good levels and every doctor who saw all those tests never once told me about the high cholesterol. According to those results alone, I should have been on statins for years. They might have prevented my heart disease. My wife had one blood test showing high cholesterol, and one of the same doctors started her on statins. Two of the negligent doctors were and are cardiologists. One I fired for carelessness and refusal to assist me with a VA disability claim. The other seemed to know his business and gave me a series of tests and a complete cardiac clearance 3 months before my heart attack. My last two lipid panels are completely normal and I now demand the actual numbers. Thank God I did not have much damage and have been cleared for strenuous exercise. I take my medications faithfully, have lost the little extra weight I was carrying, and eat a heart-healthy diet. I ride a bike, walk my dog and if called for, do some heavy work for exercise.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

Hello, I'm a 12 year old female and my dad just had a heart attack. He's doing really well. He was taking down the swimming pool in the backyard when he came in complaining about his chest hurting. A couple of minutes later he was sweating really bad. Then his arms went numb. So my grandmother took him to the ER. He always wanted to fly in an airplane...He didn't fly in an airplane but he did in a helicopter. He has high blood pressure, cholesterol, and we have had family problems with heart attacks in the past also. He did smoke too. I'm sure that heart attack will wake him up soon, and he'll realize...realize that we'll need him more than ever, but he'll need us also.

Comment from: frank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

It began with a sharp pain between my shoulders, spreading to both arms and my chest. I have heard that a heart attack feels something like this, but I never for sure what was happening to me. If you feel something like what I have described, you should go directly to the ER.

Comment from: coop52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This sounds strange, but the day my dog got killed, the grief was tremendous. I was a 52 year old female. I went to bed that night and finally went to sleep. I am not sure how long I was asleep but I woke to the worst chest pain and it was going down my left arm. I got up and tried to walk it off. I had no other symptoms. My husband took me to the hospital. It was a heart attack caused by spasms. I understand cocaine users have this kind but I don't use cocaine. It was from the stress of the dog dying.

Comment from: Courtney, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My beautiful nan at the age of 76 but 25 at heart and mind passed away in august 2009 from a huge heart attack. The day before she was complaining of feeling like she had the flu, she was vomiting, coughing, headache, light headed and tight in the chest, all symptoms of the flu. I went to spend the night with her as she was a second mother to me and said she thought she might need me. When I arrived I asked how she was feeling and she said that she took a panadol and a teaspoon of honey and was feeling much better and would go to bed to rest (it was her bedtime). I didn't think much of it, in my mind panadol and honey fix flu symptoms and I went to bed myself to wait for the morning. The morning was too late. I woke to nan screaming "help", I have never jumped out of bed so quick in my life. The last thing she ever said to me was “call an ambulance" although I do think she was trying to say something else but couldn't. I phoned 000 and followed all instructions, I felt helpless, nothing was working. I should have taken her to hospital last night! I just wanted her to become conscious, it seemed that 15 minutes had passed before the ambulance arrived but I don't think it was, they tried everything, had four men, nothing worked. Nan was young at heart, and a beautiful soul, you could tell her absolutely anything. She still went to bingo 4 days a week, she called it hard work. Please everyone, I thought she had AT LEAST 10 years to live. Never take life for granted, if someone is not feeling tip top, take them to the hospital. Vanity is alot easier to recover from! Although I now know she is in paradise, something I was always skeptical about until nan passed and the things I have seen, I know we all go somewhere that doesn't change my selfishness of missing her dearly and wishing with all of my heart that she was still here. Although nan, you always did say “when I go I want to go quick" RIP, forever love you!

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW