Arrhythmias (Heart Rhythm Disorders)

What medications have helped you manage and treat your arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorder)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jelena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I noticed shortness of breath almost a year ago intermittently. The general physician did tests and I underwent ECG, etc. No medicines were prescribed. Five months ago, the problem became very noticeable on a daily basis. This time I went to a cardiologist and after investigative surgery was diagnosed with heart rhythm disorder i.e., missing a heartbeat. I am now on metoprolol 1/2 tablet 2 time a day, which should always be taken around the same time morning and evening. I have felt the difference when I have slipped up a couple of times. I was told to continue doing what I normally do, on a daily basis this includes high intensity cardio activity which I do 3 times a week for 1.5 hours at a time. So far fine. There has been no noticeable difference. Hoping this will continue to be the case as I would hate to give up my cardio pump (so to speak). My advice is to stay positive.

Comment from: JB1965, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I have pulse variation from 45-55 to 145-155 at rest/sleeping, and lately it has increased to 204 at rest/sleeping. I suffer from chest pains, numbness and shortness of breath because of the arrhythmia. ECG shows abnormality. But scans show heart ok. Veins are clear. I don't know where to go from here!

Medically reviewed by Robert J. Bryg, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Cardiovascular Disease

REFERENCE:

Bocka, Joseph J., MD. "Automatic External Defibrillation." Medscape. Updated: May 30, 2014.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/780533-overview>