H. pylori Infection (Helicobacter Pylori)

How was the diagnosis of your helicobacter pylori established? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

The diagnosis of my Helicobacter pylori was established with testing of a stool sample.

Comment from: CsF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I just found out the beginning of this month I have Helicobacter pylori, through blood tests. I had some stomach pain but didn’t think anything of it. So that’s when I was tested. My doctor prescribed me omeprazole, clarithromycin and amoxicillin the first time. Me, I hate taking medicines! I took the medicines the first day and I got nervous because my body was feeling funny. So I stopped taking them. I think I made my symptoms worse. Now I’m on day 4 of these medicines hoping this goes away.

Comment from: Alexie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

After experiencing stomach pains for 10 days I went to see my physician and I had a complete physical. My blood work came back with normal liver, and pancreas normal. Then he recommended I get a colonoscopy and endoscopy and I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori. I just finished 1 week of 2 weeks treatment and I still experience stomach discomfort, fatigue, and diarrhea on and off. I wonder how long before I start feeling better!

Comment from: Tazzie11, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had severe pain under left rib, stomach pain, and couldn’t eat or drink. I had gastroscopy and colonoscopy in 2008, and put on medicines. I had generalized 'not well feeling' and left under-rib pain until 2017, when stomach pain and reflux came back; couldn’t eat or drink. It got worse until 2019 when I told the doctor to test me. It came back positive for Helicobacter pylori. I had medicines but felt no better, had another gastroscopy, and still positive plus I had gastritis. I had medicines again, but still no better. I am under investigation still in October 2019.

Comment from: Phenomenal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

After several attempts to get help from the emergency room that didn't work, I found a doctor to help me with a test that you blow in the bag. I was placed on two antibiotics and Prilosec for Helicobacter pylori, for 14 days. I feel so bad this 3000 mg antibiotic is strong. I can barely function, body hurting, fast heart rate, and I feel dehydrated and miserable. I don’t wish this on anyone. I can't eat, my stomach is bloated. Hoping for better treatment for this ugly infection.

Comment from: Yvonne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

It sounds like side effects of medicines you are on. I’m taking clarithromycin, metronidazole and omeprazole and on my second day after being diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori. I googled up on it and am following the best diet plan for the antibiotics and hopefully will cut down on side effects.

Comment from: LB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I am on day four of antibiotics for Helicobacter pylori and still in agony. Today has been the worst day so far, stomach cramps all day in my upper bowel, migraines and feeling sick. Wondering if it is normal to have such pain 4 days in of antibiotics.

Comment from: Daff T, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

This is the worst sickness I have ever had. I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori 7 days ago. I am on triple antibiotics and anti-acid. I had to get nausea medicines, I can’t wait tell this is over. I hope I don't have to do another round. I can hardy eat. I have another 7 days to go. The nausea and diarrhea, the weakness is overwhelming. My mouth burns and water taste awful. I still sip water all day so not to get dehydrated. Hope that I make it for 7 more days.

Comment from: Teleman57, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

This is the third time being diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori in 12 years. First time I had it I had to be treated again after a month and that seemed to do the trick, but I did also take Mastic gum. Then 5 months ago it started with stomach issues again and finally after going to the doctors for 4 months, I was sent for a gastroscopy and 5 weeks later had it confirmed that I had the bacteria again. I have been on metronidazole and tetracycline plus bismuth chewable tablets but now 4 days later, after completing the course, I feel worse.

Comment from: maeeday, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I had a finger prick test done with blood 4 weeks ago that tested positive for Helicobacter pylori. It’s been a week since I've been off the triple antibiotic therapy, and I still feel awful. I'm still getting stomach pains and indigestion daily. Anyone suffering from this please try 1000 mg of Mastic gum (taken an hour before you eat), L-reuteri probiotics (before bed on an empty stomach), and broccoli sprouts in shakes. This will do wonders for you, and help with any lingering effects.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
Comment from: Vee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My Helicobacter pylori was found through stool test on February 2019, and since then I have been through crazy symptoms. I have done so many tests including every organ functioning test, ultrasound, CT scan and some other blood tests but nothing strange was found apart from this awful infection. I have been on medicines for 6 months now, and I only experience mild pain on the right side to the back on and off. But honestly, the last thing a sick person can do is to read things on Google. We all have different symptoms of the same infection.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

Doctor had me give a stool sample and it came out positive for Helicobacter pylori.

Comment from: Anna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

It took them one month to figure it out. Emergency room found nothing after CT, blood and urine tests. Another urgent care did it all with ultrasound, and they all said it was gas. I was given so many different medicines. I went to my family doctor who did stool sample after a month and it was positive for Helicobacter pylori. I always had sensitive stomach always had diarrhea or constipation. I was in tears from bloating, contractions and dull pain 2 to 3 hours after a meal. Now I am taking medicines, thank goodness.

Comment from: douje, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My symptoms started after about 2 months from taking a 10 day treatment of antibiotics. I believe this disturbed my gut and gave the Helicobacter pylori an opportunity to take over. I was diagnosed through stool sample. Most of my symptoms (occasional discomfort in the chest, excessive bloating on the lower left abdominal) quickly improved. Then just as I finished the 2 week treatment I started to have frequent bowel movements (no diarrhea); I hope this clears up soon also. I am taking probiotics. Best wishes.

Comment from: Rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

My Helicobacter pylori was diagnosed by doing blood work and I had no idea I had it, never heard of it. So now it is day 5 of antibiotics. I went to the emergency room twice complaining about lower stomach pain. And they did urine sample, blood, ultrasound, and a CAT scan. All came back good and nothing wrong, and I got no answers. I went today second time back to back. I am not any better, having headache, still pain when I eat, and still no answers. But the stuff I'm experiencing with this! It is an awful bacteria.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I was on chemotherapy in 2016 and developed C. difficile because of antibiotics. I had endoscopy and was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus and hiatal hernia on 9/4/20. I have had vomiting, cough, periodic very sharp pain under left breast (cancer with implants) that takes me to the ground. I have left side breast bone/esophagus pain and burning with radiating pain to the back. I saw my general physician on 9/29 who ordered stool test for Helicobacter pylori. I am concerned going on more antibiotics since I have been on several the past 2 months.

Comment from: Hope, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

Ten months ago I started vomiting violently, and thought it was food poisoning. Two months later, same thing, thought, ok something possibly wrong. Two months later, same thing. I had described it the whole time as 'just don't feel good, not necessarily bad just not good.' Stomach was tender feeling often. I went to the doctor and blood test showed Helicobacter pylori. I was given 2 antibiotics and a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for 2 weeks and I feel much better. No recent episodes. I do believe I still have an ulcer to heal, and have some discomfort with that occasionally.

Comment from: iRESQu, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

My Helicobacter pylori diagnosis was established with an endoscopy. I am asymptomatic in the upper gastrointestinal region. I have been taking Naprosyn for 8 to 10 years for osteoarthritis and developed extreme lower abdominal pain in the early morning hours for the last 4 months. I am starting an antibiotic regimen today.

Comment from: Rekt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

My Helicobacter pylori infection was diagnosed through stool samples. It started with diarrhea and nausea, and I could not hold any food down. My doctor gave me two antibiotics to take but after two weeks it got worse. I had to go back and get retested and it came back positive again, and now I’m on a different medication. Aside from the severe nausea, weight loss, loss of appetite, and fatigue, the medicines I’m taking are causing me to throw up and I constantly have a bitter taste in my mouth. It’s awful.

SLIDESHOW

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: PhylAngel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had been having abdominal pain, nausea, weight loss, no appetite, fatigue, and dizzy spells for some time. Some pain I even thought was my heart. After having a heart catheter, no blockages were found, and I was referred to a gastroenterologist. The doctor asked questions about my symptoms and he set up an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy). He and I both believed it was my gall bladder. Gall bladder is fine, no ulcers but lining of stomach was irritated. I was put on omeprazole and Carafate. He took a biopsy and it was positive for Helicobacter pylori. I go back Friday, June 15 to see what antibiotics I will be taking.

Comment from: Sharona, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

My Helicobacter pylori diagnosis was established by endoscopy, after bloating and severe pain. I also had colonoscopy, and was also diagnosed with Barrett’s esophagus.

Comment from: Blueeyes, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 24

I kept getting nausea, vomiting, and bloated abdomen. They ordered an endoscopy and results came back positive for Helicobacter pylori and I was put on 2 antibiotics.

Comment from: Racquel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My first experience consisted of a gnawing pain just below my sternum that radiated around to my back. My doctor gave me a urea breath test which came back positive for Helicobacter pylori. I was treated with 2 antibiotics and an acid reducer. A few years later I was feeling the same symptoms only this time bloating or a full feeling in my stomach was added to the symptoms. Again I was treated with antibiotics. Two weeks ago I finally went back to the primary care physician for another breath test which was positive. I was suffering the same symptoms as before. I finished my antibiotics and requested another breath test to find out if the H. pylori was gone. My doctor is refusing to test me again but instead is requiring me to see a specialist. I have not experienced weight loss with this infection but suffer with a swollen belly and a constant full feeling. This is an awful infection that really needs to go away.

Comment from: yonder01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

In the beginning of March I started getting sick to my stomach. This progressed for about 3 or 4 days and at this point I developed severe pain in my left upper stomach. Nausea was extreme as well as pain, and I was in and out of the emergency room (ER) 4 times in about a week. Blood work was fine, they did scans with dye which showed no issues. After it peaked I slowly got better, but never really felt good again. Exactly 3 months later, exact same thing. I was in the ER Sunday night, and back and admitted into hospital for 6 days of pure misery. Last day there I was dry heaving really bad and had to be given pain medicines, etc., to finally stop. It started with a little twinge in my stomach, then I felt hungry even though I just ate. I previously had an endoscope done and it had come back positive for Helicobacter pylori bacteria. I did the treatment then but did it wrong due to not enough communication from my doctor. The stool test was positive still, so now I am redoing it and am hoping this never comes back, I just want to die when it is there. If it happens a third time somehow some way I will get into hospital and must figure out what it is. I hope it is this H. pylori bacteria as then I have a chance of it not happening again.

Comment from: Hakimullah, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Helicobacter pylori was positive in the test.

Comment from: Pleasantness , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have tested positive for Helicobacter pylori, and since then have lost a lot of unintentional weight. I had a total blood count test and everything came back good. I don't understand the weight loss. Wonder if anyone else has experienced the same.

Comment from: Bloated , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

My Helicobacter pylori was discovered by taking some sort of drink and then breathing in a bag.

Comment from: sallie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

Severe stomach pains and nausea caused two trips to emergency room before a blood test diagnosis of H. Pylori. Took several days of antibiotic drug therapy with no relief causing more pain and nausea. I began researching h. pylori on the internet and also spoke with a local health food shop owner. She recommended I take an herbal supplement, Kroeger Herb, "Rascal," along with a natural digestive enzymes. I take Source Naturals', "Pancreatin 8X." There are similar ones available high in enzyme activity. Avoid low stomach acid. A change in diet is also necessary--no caffeine, chocolate, beef, pork, processed meats, salt, soft drink and dairy products. Recommended foods are fresh fruits (bananas, fresh pineapple, dried apricots top of list for eradicating h. pylori) and vegetables with broccoli, carrots, cabbage, red bell pepper, hot chili peppers, all beans, chicken, turkey and oily fish (no catfish). I have not had the stomach pain and nausea since beginning herbal drugs and a special diet over a month ago. Research tells me h. pylori although eliminated can return at any time. Right now I plan to keep on this path for at least another 2 - 3 weeks.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed by blood work. For almost every morning for a year I would wake up so sick to my stomach. I just thought it was some of my medications as I have cryoglobulinemia and vasculitis along with a string of other illnesses not as severe. I have been on Prednisone for 5 years and will always be on it. It would take about 2 hours after getting up before I felt half way decent. I never get hungry and have lost 25 pounds. I am on the PrevPak and hope it works. As far as nausea OMG it was awful. I couldn't throw up because there was nothing in my stomach. I spent 2 days sitting in the bathroom floor gagging to no avail. I don't have very bad stomach pains because I have chronic pains elsewhere and take pain meds. I am female and 56 years old.

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been having trouble for over 3 months now with hardly any bowel movements, but a lot of bloating. I have not had the pain as the other two ladies before me, but tenderness in the stomach area. I went to the doctor because of the concern I had about gaining 30 pounds in two months. They did a series of tests thinking that it could possibly be my thyroid. They say the thyroid came back fine but helicobacter pylori test was positive. I am starting today on a round of antibiotics in hopes that this will help.

Comment from: Nede, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was hospitalized two consecutive Sundays. I've gone through some lab tests, but all the results are negative. Everyone says that is only hypertension, even my doctors. I decided to go to the hospital again to undergo an ultrasound, but the doctor said it is better to get a blood sample for H-Pylori. After an hour, I got the result and it was positive. So the doctor gave me three kinds of antibiotics: amoxicillin, clarithromycin and omeprazole. I'm still taking my medicine. I hope and pray that after a month my H-Pylori will be negative.

Comment from: hus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

The first time I had a severe stomach pain was three years ago on holidays. It started with uncomfortable stomach, gradually increasing overnight to squeezing, gnawing and unbearable pain in the stomach as if I had solid rocks in there. It followed with severe and frequent vomiting. I was unable to take any thing as it would come out. I could not sleep the whole night and the next day a local doctor gave me some pain killers which relieved me at that time. Then there was a quiet period of little over a year when this whole situation repeated itself in the same fashion when we were away on holidays again. Third time it came back within six months and as usual lasted only for one night. Then it came back one night, six months ago, with more severity and pain. Had to go to emergency, but no one would know what was it. I was prescribed for gastroscopy which came out with positive results of Helicobacter Pylori. Eradication therapy started and the result was still positive. Given another eradication treatment and had my urea breath test. In the meantime that dreadful pain came back again not with that severity, but it is quite evident, H. Pylori is still there. Do not know as I failed eradication treatment twice, what will be my fate?

Comment from: George, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I feel you, I went yesterday for Helicobacter pylori test with the same results. A bottle of super cold water stopped the burning, at least where I could stop screaming. If you are taking clarithromycin, make sure you do not eat anything with propylene glycol in it or any amount of alcohol in it also. Super cold water helped the burning.

Comment from: Donna , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori back in August. I was on a regimen of three antibiotics. I had the scope now. I am still nauseous, my stomach hurts, I have a headache, and can't keep my medications down. I feel horrible.

Comment from: Bdeon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I got Helicobacter pylori 2 months ago. I have bad headaches that come and go. I wonder if anybody else us feeling like that. This is my second treatment.

Comment from: Mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had Helicobacter pylori 2 years ago and got antibiotics for it, but never got tested after that to make sure it had gone, I don’t know if I should have.

Comment from: Bad stomach, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm a 53 years old male. I have had H. pylori 5 times. The doctor said I had a hole in my stomach lining. I always get gas so bad and burp, heart burn, and bad pain in my stomach. I can't seem to get rid of it. My doctor said I could get stomach cancer.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I've been diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori and it has been a nightmare. I have lost over 15 lb. I have such horrible stomach bloating, problems swallowing at times, and I feel like nothing leaves my diaphragm. It has made me have such anxiety and really has taken a toll on my life. I am mentally and physically worn out. I tried antibiotics but had horrible sign effects. There were some days I thought I was dying. I am taking Mastic gum and trying that. I'm worried I should have stuck it out with antibiotics. I hope someone who went through this can tell me there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel!

Comment from: TinaNS., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

So here is my horror story. I went to the doctor with a foul body odor of sulfur and requested a test for Helicobacter pylori and MRSA, which was refused. Any doctor who is properly trained would know to start a course of antibiotic treatment right away, since the smell is a sign of the progression of the infection. Needless to say my family has not been treated and my son is allergic to penicillin. I am thoroughly disgusted at the lack of care for patients.

Comment from: Boniface, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I am seriously suffering from Helicobacter pylori. It is too expensive for me to treat.

Comment from: SFRML, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

My symptoms began with severe nausea occurring about 10 minutes into a meal. I tried to relieve my symptoms by eliminating from my diet whatever food I had eaten prior to the episode. The nausea would also occur off and on during the day, along with decreased appetite. This went on for several months, and as I have had lifelong food allergies, I just put up with the symptoms. One day, the retching was so violent that I ruptured a blood vessel in my eye! My doctor sent me for an endoscopic exam performed under light anesthesia and from those results my diagnosis of H. Pylori infection was made.

I had black, tarry stools and stomach pains. The doctor examined me and then ordered several blood tests and all but one was clear, and that was for helicobacter pylori.

Comment from: Lennynyl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

Found through a CT scan that showed thickening of the stomach wall. The biopsy determined H. pylori.

Comment from: arkansas, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been hurting for several months and being bloated. I had a ultrasound and my gallbladder was full of stones .I had that taken out in February and I felt better for a little while. Then it came back more severe. I went to the ER and they said it was acid. I got another appointment with the doctor and she said it sounds like reflux. She drew blood and it tested positive for h. pylori.

Comment from: gert777, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

My helicobacter pylori was diagnosed by endoscopy after pain bloating and fatique.

Comment from: Wolfy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 25

The first of March 2012 I had stomach, intestines, kidney & pelvic pain. It felt like my insides were totally irritated. I took Zantac to indigestion which worked temporarily for about three weeks. During that time I felt like I was going to have diarrhea often. I went to the Urgent care and they did a blood test and called me three days later and said I tested positive for H. pylori. They prescribed Prevacid for 10 days and an antibiotic called clarithromycin, 500 mg.

Comment from: patient X, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My h. Pylori was diagnosed through a biopsy performed during an endoscopy to determine the severity of GERD -- polyps were removed from my stomach and tested negative for malignancy but the pylori was indicated in several "brown" areas in the lining of my stomach. The GERD was not considered serious but that was three years ago and now I am scheduled for a barium swallow because of constant choking and coughing -- my PCP believes coughing is caused by GERD although I have never actually had typical heartburn! I took the Prev-Pak for 14 days and was fine for the first 11 of them -- then the Rx really caught up with me as it killed off all GOOD bacteras as well as bad!

Comment from: llkmiller, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 11

My 16 month-old grand daughter was diagnosed with H-pylori after going to the emergency room with an on-going fever of 101 and a rash on her limbs that were similar to chicken pox except they were not on the torso. She has always been very fussy and never slept through the night, when we raised concern with the pediatricians (we went to three) none of them were too concerned and said she was just a fussy baby. There were traces of blood in her vomit for about 3 weeks prior to the emergency visit, that the pediatrician said was from throat irritation. It was not, she was admitted to the ICU with platelet count of 15 and immediately put on IV antibiotics, the following day without improvement, she was diagnosed with ITP, given a transfusion and tested for H-pylori which returned positive. She just completed the antibiotics and will continue to be monitored weekly.

Comment from: lg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had been suffering from the burning-acidity feeling for sometime, but thought it was heartburn. I took heartburn medication but to no avail. This went on for a couple of years. Last October I went in for a general female check up and my doctor ordered blood work. This was in the morning. By 4:00 p.m. I got a call from her telling me I had to go to the emergency right away because my blood count was down to 5. Apparently a female carries anywhere from 12 - 15 units of blood and I had 5 and could collapse at any minute. I was questioned about feeling tired and fatigue - which I did not. I go to the gym, exercise, lift weights, etc and am very active. I work part time. By the way I'm 65 years old. I checked in the emergency and they admitted me to the hospital and was put on I.V. and given 2 units of blood. They found I was anemic and then had to determine where I was losing all this blood. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and that where they diagnosed me with h.pylori. I'm trying to deal with it without medication, if I can - trying supplements and herbs. .

Comment from: hpyloripositivecop, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

On 07/30/10, I started with a very bad sinus type of headache. After that came the nausea and the dizzy (I'm going to pass out) feeling. I was hospitalized and vomited about 10 times. I was told it was due to dehydration and sun exposure. I had mentioned that my upper abdomen had been hurting for about 2 months non-stop. On 08/04/10, the pain and the bloating was unbearable. I saw my doctor who said I had gastritis and give me meds for that and blood tests were done. The next day I received a phone call saying I had H. Pylori. I work in law enforcement and believe dealing with people with poor hygiene (drug users/transients) and not having soap and water readily available may have been the contributors to my diagnosis.

Comment from: Sharoonie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Several years ago, I had bad pain under my ribs that only occurred in the middle of the night. I was a chocolate and peppermint freak also. After many tests, it was determined I had the H-Pylori, and I took all the meds recommended with no relief. I got on the Internet to read about H-Pylori and what others had tried. First, I cut out the chocolate and peppermint after dinner. That seemed to help some. I then read that someone would massage the stomach area right under the ribs when the pain was unbearable. It worked! I still have the bad pain occasionally but only in the middle of the night. If I force myself to wake up, stand up, and massage under the ribs, it goes away... every time! I hope this will help someone who hasn't tried this remedy. It was like a miracle, because it had gone on for several years.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW