H. pylori Infection (Helicobacter Pylori)

What was the treatment for you Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lindsey k, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I found out I had Helicobacter pylori from some blood tests. I had been feeling really weird for a while so I'm guessing I've had it for a while. I have burning in my abdomen area, feel nauseous, highly fatigued, super hungry, and have pains that would come and go in my stomach and lower abdomen area. I was put on the triple antibiotics for 14 days. On my 10th day of taking them, I feel like it is not working. Symptoms are still present. I guess I'll go back to the doctor for an endoscopy.

Comment from: Loved, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I felt heartburn every night after lying down to sleep. My husband was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori many years ago but we didn’t know it is a highly contagious infection. After I asked my gastroenterologist to do an endoscopy, he prescribed the triple treatment which consists of amoxicillin, omeprazole, and clarithromycin. I’m on day three of this medication. I wake up at night with a bitter taste in my mouth. My stools are loose. I don’t have much energy. I feel stomach cramps. I am also adding probiotics.

Comment from: Mcat , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I was diagnosed today with Helicobacter pylori. I was experiencing lack of appetite and occasional diarrhea. I am on amoxicillin and clarithromycin for 2 weeks.

Comment from: sjg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I diagnosed myself with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). My doctor asked for my symptoms and agreed to do a blood test. The treatment prescribed was Pylera. It cost over USD 900.00 and is a 10 day treatment. I asked for something more affordable. I was put on a triple treatment that lasted 14 days and cost USD 50.00. I took metronidazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin, called the triple treatment. Also added was ranitidine to reduce acid. This was a 14 day course of pills twice a day. I read the horror stories about how sick it can make you and I wanted it to work the first time. So, I did some research and added a pro-biotic, 2 hours after lunch and before bed time. The probiotic was well away from the morning and dinner time dose of pills. I also watched my diet. No gluten and no acid foods like tomatoes. No Fatty foods, like steak or buttered popcorn. No dairy, like yogurt, cheese and milk. No sugar, coffee, caffeine, carbonated drinks, pickles, spicy food and low fiber grains. Another article listed various foods that are good for you because these foods inhibit the growth of pylori. I added apples, all cruciferous vegetables, coconut butter, olive oil, stevia, licorice tea, green tea, garlic, cranberries, fruit, sweet potatoes, lean protein like chicken. I also chewed sugarless trident gum after I ate. This put more saliva in my stomach which helped me digest. My experience was much better than I feared. Day 2, 3, 4, made me tired, unable to sleep, nauseous, metallic taste, and diarrhea. By day 5 I felt fine and now on day 6, I had my normal energy. I will most likely have a loose stool for the remainder of the treatment. I also got rid of most symptoms of H. Pylori like frequent urination, (I could not wear underwear or jeans before this treatment), bloating, stomach pain, and a lump in my throat. The metallic taste is much less frequent.

Comment from: Jeninak, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I got diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori through a breath test. I lost massive weight from fear of eating food. I am on treatment for 5 days now, and I don’t have any burning pain anymore just to lie down. I eat yogurt, and coffee never irritated my stomach when I had symptoms of the H. pylori. Wondering if I could have coffee during the treatment, like one cup every other day.

Comment from: eddie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I am looking for any comments of what it has been like post treatment, like a month or so after the antibiotics regimen; about food tolerance, stomach gas, etc. I was diagnosed with Helicobacter pylori 10 days ago and currently on my antibiotics.

Comment from: HP survivor , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

For my Helicobacter pylori I tried apple cider vinegar in warm water in the morning, licorice root extract or tea 20 minutes before meals, aloe Vera juice, sweet potato, olive oil, probiotics, green beans. I took pure mastic gum 30 minutes before food and also noticed my psoriasis clear up. Other things to try are matula tea, broccoli sprouts, and coconut oil. Try a Candida overgrowth diet as you could have a combination of both. Avoid grains, dairy, and sugars. Add lots of vegetables. Bone broth does wonders, add omega 3 and multivitamins.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy as I was experiencing a burning pain on the right side of my lower abdomen. I have suffered for years from IBS but the pain was increasing. The doc said I have a hiatal hernia and the Helicobacter Pylori infection. He has put me on to 2 antibiotics.

QUESTION

Pancreatitis is inflammation of an organ in the abdomen called the pancreas. See Answer
Comment from: Seda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was feeling sick after eating something and had bloating problem I was feeling that I am about to burst for couple of months. First the doctor prescribed me something for fungal infection. But it was not. Then last week when I see different doctor with the same problems she said we have to do stool test and finally I know that I have h. Pylori. I have 2 antibiotics to take for a week. I hope that will work. Otherwise they need to do further tests and endoscopy I had required.

Comment from: robert f, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed thru an endoscopy January. I tried to anti-biotic therapies for two weeks, and that almost worked but not fully.

Comment from: sick & tired of this, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have been treated now five rounds of antibiotics for H. pylori and also gone for the scope. I was told I have a larger, looser opening that collects bacteria due to high acid environment. My next step is to do the breath test to see if my last treatment was successful or not. My health store suggested Manuka Honey made in New Zealand. It tastes great but needs to be taken on toast so it stays in the stomach longer to kill the bacteria. I was told at least two months straight it would work but, felt a difference right away. Good luck!

Comment from: wendy uk ., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I have for the last three months been suffering from acid and the feeling of something stuck in my throat went. I went to see my doctor who in the first instance prescribed me with omopresole. I took one a day for a month and felt not better so I returned to my doctor who told me to increase the dose and arranged for me to have a breath test. A week later the results came back and I was informed of the helicobacter pyloro been present, I was therefore put on two types of antibiotics one been amoxicillin, and also clarithromycin, and omopresole. I have started the treatment today and I hope it will indeed sort this problem out. I will advise of my progress once I have finished the course of treatment.

SLIDESHOW

Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More See Slideshow
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW