Hematoma

What caused your hematoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dakota, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

On May 8th I was visiting a friend. I was sitting in her tent when a rider of a motorcycle came crashing through. He left the scene and his cycle still running, ripped the back of my left thigh 11 in. length 4 in. wide. I still have trouble sitting and going to the bathroom because of the hematoma. The rider was a police officer.

Comment from: Malcolm, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Wake boarding caused my hematoma. My arm caught in rope, and I got dragged.

Comment from: damaged30080, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I had lower facelift and immediately started swelling tremendously on the left side of my face. I had extreme pain from the hematoma. I went back to the cosmetic surgeon twice for aspiration of the blood and am quite upset that this happened.

Comment from: Mike Oaf, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I got a hematoma when I banged my knee, as I fell on a tennis court.

Comment from: Keeks , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I was kicked by a horse in my thigh, which gave me a hematoma.

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

A fall must have bruised my thigh and caused the hematoma, when it happened 1 year 7 months ago.

Comment from: patient , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy to determine what was causing my anemia. I developed a large hematoma at the site of the incision. The hematoma was extremely painful and I was hospitalized for eight days. It's been two months post hospitalization and I'm in physical therapy three times a week but I still have pain in my lower back and buttocks.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have acquired 4 hematomas since taking the blood thinner fondaparinux (generic for Arixtra). I give myself belly shots every day and I now have 2 hematomas on the belly where I give the shots. The other 2 were acquired on the arm after a bruise. No home remedy seems to work on getting rid of them. Nor does arnica or vitamin K cream.

Comment from: Showyourgrit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have a watermelon plus sized hematoma which has resulted from colon surgery. Doctors indicated it will eventually dissolve into tissue. Bruising is dark purple 1 week after surgery. It is swollen and tender and has moved from right side lower back area down to butt.

Comment from: sugar8771, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had a very bad fall in the basement, I fell backwards and hit my head on the coffee table then the concrete floor. I had so many lumps and bruising, it has been 14 days and some of the lumps are still there. I met with my doctor today and she told me I had a hematoma. She said it is bleeding between the tissues, and it has to be absorbed before it will go away, and it will take a few more weeks.

Comment from: pn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

After reading story about another person whose hematoma was caused by deployed airbags I wanted to share my story because similar situation happened to me. However I wasn't involved in a car accident, somehow something triggered my airbags on left, driver and steering wheel, to just suddenly explode, and deployed while I was stopped at a red light. Still trying to figure out what happened but the airbags hit me so hard and off especially the left side. It burned the backside of left arm and bruised my left side, impact was so hard it bruised my left lung causing a quarter size hematoma. All I can say was it hurt really bad and made it hard to breathe. The area was tender, painful to even touch. I had to get it surgically removed. Or risk it dislodging and end up with embolism or death itself. Hematoma is life threatening if left untreated.

Comment from: Peaches, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I fell out of bed and slammed my face into the corner of the night stand. CAT scans showed no fractures, but it has been over a month and although the hematoma is smaller, it gets larger and harder as the day goes on. I wonder if this means there is still an active bleed.

Comment from: MM, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

After a fall and having a fracture in the hip bone, surgery was required to put in a rod and screw. This required three small incisions. A large hematoma over the middle incision developed. It has been 6 weeks since surgery and the incisions have healed but I still have the hematoma. While at one rehab hospital, they put ice on the area to help it feel better.

Comment from: mercig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was involved in a car accident. The air bags deployed, and as a result I was hit hard in the chest. I ended up having a golf ball-size hematoma appear on my right breast. It feels hard and is somewhat tender to the touch.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Liebeskind, S. et al. "Intracranial Hemorrhage." Medscape. Dec. 4, 2014.

Liebeskind, S. et al. "Epidural Hematoma." Medscape. Apr. 28, 014.

Olson, D. et al. "Head Injury." Medscape. Dec. 22, 2014.