Hematoma

Please describe your experience with hematoma. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: VC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I was involved in a motorcycle accident. I had big cuts on my knees, one healed well but not the other one, and I have a lot of pain. After a couple of months I noticed it had some kind of clear liquid inside, I went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics. The swelling went down but I it is painful to the touch and it feels dry. The doctor told me today that it is a hematoma, and to put warm compress on it. He said that time will heal it. Will see!

Comment from: Hi there, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

We were at the airport ready to leave. My husband assembled my new scooter and I thought it was ok. I got on it and realized I was rolling backward. I screamed for help, but too late. Scooter and I fell off a 10-inch curb and landed full force on my right hip, shoulder and elbow. For our 8 day cruise, I had such a hematoma it covered my entire hip and buttock and wrapped a quarter way around to the front. It was very painful and prevented me from sleeping. The skin got quite taught and was hard as a brick. It's the eleventh day now and it still covers about the size of two handprints. It still hurts if I touch it, but I made it through our cruise anyway.

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was in a motorcycle accident, it was an occurrence due to failure of the rear tire while making a turn on a residential street. I basically did a full body slam on my right side onto the gutter, curb, and sidewalk with the bike slamming down on top of me resulting in a dislocated shoulder, and taking a thirty mph punch to the abdomen by the curb into soft area between the ribcage and pelvic area. I am very lucky nothing was broken or ruptured, however I had massive bruising that upon dissipation resulted in a very large hematoma over my right hip at the belt line. It has been six weeks and I see no shrinkage as of yet. I have been told that nothing can be done. I really need some sort of idea how to make this thing go away, it has increased my waist size from 34 to 44 on one side. If I find a solution I will post again.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Liebeskind, S. et al. "Intracranial Hemorrhage." Medscape. Dec. 4, 2014.

Liebeskind, S. et al. "Epidural Hematoma." Medscape. Apr. 28, 014.

Olson, D. et al. "Head Injury." Medscape. Dec. 22, 2014.