Hemoglobin A1c Test (HbA1c)

Please describe how monitoring your hemoglobin levels has helped with the treatment of your condition. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: JanetM757, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm a 61 year old female who recently requested blood tests normally given to diagnose possible causes for sudden, profuse hair loss. In doing so, I saw my red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit were all low. With low total protein and globulin, but high carbon dioxide. If hemoglobin is low I guess that explains the low total protein, but high carbon dioxide since it is the carrier, one way or the other for both. I was surprised my doctor told me I don't need any further concern over my blood work and not to worry. I assume I'm anemic, I am cold all the time (in South Florida, love my ice in water, sleep 12 hours, wake up and want to sleep more (good thing I'm retired). I had surgery 6 months ago for a twisted colon, and from that I got a hernia. I wonder if somehow that caused anemia, and wish I knew what is causing this anemia if I knew, I could hopefully stop my hair falling out. Not only is it falling out, but it's terribly dry with breakage, and has turned frizzy like cotton candy. Anemia just has to be the reason for my "poisoned" hair and my doctor seems disinterested in my blood test results.

Comment from: ENAMUL H., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am suffering from diabetes since 1987. Presently my HbA1c range is 9.5. Both my legs are swollen. I am regularly taking insulin and diabetic medicines, I have to lower my HbA1c level.

American Diabetes Association. "A1C and eAG." Sept. 29, 2014. <http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/a1c/>

Horowitz, Gary L. "Hemoglobin A1c Testing." Medscape.com. Sept. 15, 2015. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2049478-overview>

healthdirect.gov. HbA1c test. Sep 2016.
<https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/hba1c-test>