Hemoglobin

What were the results of your hemoglobin test and what condition did it ultimately help diagnose? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: David, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had a hemoglobin count of 2.9. First I was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome and then my final diagnosis is acute myeloid leukemia.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had problems with internal bleeding and anemia for a couple of years. This last hospital go-round, I was in the emergency room lying on the bed, with my husband and son sitting there. I had two doctors look me straight in the eye and tell me they couldn't figure out why I was still alive. My hemoglobin count was 3.7! I spent the next 5 days in ICU, getting 8 transfusions. Between all the doctors I saw, they figured out where I was bleeding from, and took measures to stop it. This was the beginning of March. I'm still under the care of 4 different specialists.

Comment from: GlorifiedKevin , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

In June of 2016, I developed an internal bleed. In the emergency room, by the time they diagnosed the problem, I was told (after I woke up) that I had a 3.7 hemoglobin blood level. I really didn't know what that meant, but I do now. I spent the rest of that year in the hospital (rehabilitations included). I was already in the hospital for 4 months recovering from a stroke. I was released on January 13, 2017 and I haven't had any issues since. I've been told that it is amazing that I survived this ordeal. Today I am called 'miracle man' by various physicians.

Comment from: Wiser, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I kept feeling like I couldn't do much and it kept getting worse. Doctor did blood test and there was no response from him. Lab didn't send test results to doctor. I assumed it as ok. Next time I saw him, he said I didn't look good. I took another blood test. Hemoglobin level was at 6. Not good at all. I entered hospital and had blood transfusion and more. After many tests, results suggested my stomach was not absorbing iron from foods. Still getting treated and hemoglobin is up to 10.8. I feel much better a year later; takes a long time.

Comment from: jessica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My hemoglobin test results came back 14. My doctor said that was high but I suffer from an eating disorder where I want eat so I can lose weight and stay small.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

The result of my hemoglobin test was 51.

Comment from: Sahensha Ali, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

My hemoglobin test results came back 7.5.

Comment from: temjen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

Hemoglobin 9.0 g/dl is my result today, I am worried if that is cancer.

Comment from: racecar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

The result of my hemoglobin test is 6.0.

Comment from: Lilou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My last hemoglobin result was 3.5, no improvement in years despite treatments. Apparently nothing to do.

Comment from: Taylor1, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My hemoglobin level was 7.5g/dl before starting chemotherapy.

Comment from: Shampa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a diabetic along with being a hypertension patient. My fasting is 130 and post prandial is 200. Last month my hemoglobin was 8.4, while present month it is 7.2. Presently ferritin is 13.

Comment from: glass, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My infant was diagnosed with sickle cell at birth and been on penicillin since she was 2 months. She is now a year old and has been hospitalized once and rushed to the emergency room more than five times in this year. She can't run a temperature of 99.4 or she could stop breathing on me and have a seizure. I have been looking around for a hemoglobin doctor in Arkansas, just moved here 2 months ago and nobody seems to help me. I'm worried about my baby, her hands have swelled up to where she can't crawl and toes have swollen up.

Comment from: Jill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I just received a low hemoglobin count of 7.6 at a health fair screening. I shared that with my doctor who called me in immediately for a full blown blood evaluation. He thought that count was a mistake since every other test came back perfectly normal. They asked me all sorts of questions but they said I look fine. He thought this was an error in the blood test result at the health fair.

Comment from: grumlow, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My blood count hemoglobin showed a count of 21 which is low for a male. I have had a feces check and awaiting result.

Comment from: CANDICE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Recently, due to a bleeding ulcer, I lost a large amount of blood. I had my hemoglobin drop to 7.0 and have had it go back up to 8.2 but it has not risen above that in 6 days. I tire very easy and have no energy to do those things I normally was able to do.

Comment from: loga, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had disc prolapse problem for more than 10 years. Now I am in medication for osteoporosis but now I have severe anemic problem also. My hemoglobin level is 4. Now I am confused as to what I do.

Comment from: thegreek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been anemic for over a year and my iron in the hemoglobin test has been low for a while and I am being sent to an oncologist. I am worried what I might have. My father and aunt both died of leukemia. I wonder if there is a chance that I might have it too.

Comment from: Bowie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

My test result for hemoglobin is 6.3. I am not sure what the normal or good range is, this a 3 month test.

Comment from: Anasuya B., 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 21

My sister's hemoglobin levels is 6.8. We showed her to many doctors and gave her medicines but there is no any improvement.

Comment from: 11.6, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 19

My sister has the following CBC test result: WBC: 8,400, RBC: 5.2, HB: 11.6, HCT: 38, MCV: 73, MCH: 22, MCHC: 30, and PLT: 201.

Comment from: sabbi a., 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

My hemoglobin used to be 15 in 2013, 14 in 2014 and 13 in 2015 and 12 in March 2016. It has gradually been decreasing from 15 to 12 in the last 3 years. I am taking medicine for blood pressure and prostate, and it is maintained. I have no sugar except blood urea H51, SGOT serum AST H39, creatinine H1 51, LDL 77 and LDL/HDL ratio 1.6. All other reports are excellent for the last 10 years.

Comment from: liz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My hemoglobin measured between 15 and 16 and is considered high by medical team.

Comment from: shyamala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was found to have 4.5 percentage after my hemoglobin test.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Nabili, Siamak N. MD, MPH. "Complete Blood Count." MedicineNet.com. Updated Jan 24, 2014.

Davis, Charles Patrick MD, PhD. "Hemoglobin." MedicineNet.com. Nov 4, 2015.

"Hemoglobin A1c." MedicineNet.com. Updated Apr 24, 2002.