Hemoglobin

Have you been diagnosed with anemia? How did it affect you? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lilou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

As far as I know, I've always had anemia. When I was little I was already taking iron pills, then when I was a teenager it was severe anemia, but now the doctor has started talking about thalassemia. Earlier this condition didn't bother me that much but now aging, it is more and more inconvenient. In my last blood test 2 weeks ago, my hemoglobin was 3.5g/dl. I had 5 blood transfusion, I have been doing Venofer injections for 5 years and nothing. I feel so tired all the time, my legs feels like they weigh 5 kg each at times, and sometimes I just don't feel them. I cannot breathe, I have chronic pain in my chest and it is so uncomfortable. When I am exercising or walking, I feel like my head is going to explode and breathing is just too much. I feel dizzy and nauseous all the time, one side of my face was numb for 2 weeks with severe migraine, a bump appeared on my forehead I don't know why, and I have something like a little bone from my ear just coming out. The doctors do not know what to tell me anymore, they say that they don't know what is causing all this, they all agree that I have severe anemia or thalassemia but that's it. I have now decided not to bother myself with it anymore and whatever happens will happen. I actually feel tired and frustrated that I cannot get proper help.

Comment from: terrenz, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had extreme fatigue, especially in the legs, for six months. I had my doctor take blood tests which revealed anemia; low iron and low hemoglobin. For follow up I had colorectomy and gastroscopy. Colorectomy found large ulcerated mass in the transverse colon with some oozing. Now I am awaiting right hemicolectomy which will remove my ascending colon and half my transverse colon, effectively removing the cancer together with 12 lymph nodes. It will create loose and more frequent feces but hopefully my body will adjust and perhaps normalize again in time.

Comment from: scotty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I have issues with bleeding causing anemia but doctors cannot find where it is happening. I have had upper and lower gastrointestinal scope done still they did not find anything. I have had two blood transfusions done 3 weeks apart. I just found out today I need another one done.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 24

My hemoglobin count is 12.2.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Nabili, Siamak N. MD, MPH. "Complete Blood Count." MedicineNet.com. Updated Jan 24, 2014.

Davis, Charles Patrick MD, PhD. "Hemoglobin." MedicineNet.com. Nov 4, 2015.

"Hemoglobin A1c." MedicineNet.com. Updated Apr 24, 2002.