Hemoglobin

What was the cause of your high hemoglobin reading? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a miscarriage and I lost so much blood and passed solid clots the size of grapefruits over a period of a couple of hours to the point where I was so dizzy and lightheaded I couldn't breathe and started going in and out of consciousness. When the ambulance got me and took me to emergency I had a blood test and then 1 hour later I was admitted to hospital and they gave me a blood transfusion and an iron transfusion. The next morning had another blood test only to find my hemoglobin levels have gone even lower. And it's been nearly 4 weeks and my blood levels are still very low, I'm now also chronic anemic and still bleeding out small clots.

Comment from: Sloblo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I was once told by my internist that high or enlarged red blood cells indicated drinking too much alcohol. I do enjoy a few drinks each day and my hemoglobin does show high.

Comment from: Subhakanta , 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My brother has a result of 32 hemoglobin. I can't understand how it is possible and why!

Comment from: pat, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I am at work only in night 3 years all over, I work very hard. This may be the cause of my high hemoglobin, it is hard for me to sleep. I am irritable and sometimes I am in level of nervous state. When I have tried to sleep I keep thinking and remembering the past that never leaves my mind. It make me uncomfortable.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

Nabili, Siamak N. MD, MPH. "Complete Blood Count." MedicineNet.com. Updated Jan 24, 2014.

Davis, Charles Patrick MD, PhD. "Hemoglobin." MedicineNet.com. Nov 4, 2015.

"Hemoglobin A1c." MedicineNet.com. Updated Apr 24, 2002.