Viewer Comments: Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

Hemorrhoids: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

...
Comment from: Celebrate, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had problems with hemorrhoids my whole adult life but it got really bad a few years ago. I've tried everything I could, everything! And nothing helped in the long run. I was so desperate I tried just one last thing I've seen online, before going to the doctor and stretching the sphincter. Yes, I was that desperate! But it has helped me so much that I've decided I have to tell people about it. It's been about 6 months now that I have no problems at all, no pain, no bleeding, I can sit all day long and the hemorrhoids have almost gone completely! It's amazing! I stretch it every day for a few minutes in the bathtub, before my shower, with a rubber glove on and some lubricant. I know most people won't try it but I hope to help those who are as desperate as I once was. Good luck to everyone and I hope you find what works for you!

Comment from: CATNIP, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I have had an ongoing problem with an internal hemorrhoids for about 4 years. I could push it in and go about my business but it decided not to stay put any longer. I noticed I seemed to be blocked up (hitting a wall) while passing stools. I got the Preparation H suppositories and only used 3 (one for three days), and the problem got worse. I began to blow up on one side of my anus. I put Preparation H cream on it and hit the ceiling (washed it off). Then I put Vaseline on it and hit the ceiling (washed it off). I tried salt sitz, tried vinegar sitz, tried aloe vera plant, tried just warm water bath (the best). I was tired of all this bath taking and went to the doctor. I got it rubber-banded. Embarrassing, yes. But that it is gone and I can go to the bathroom again without the aid of a stool or without pain. So glad that is over now and I will be watching what I eat and drink (I hate drinking water but will now) from now on. Go to the doctor.

Comment from: Lora, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

I have been using Anusol ointment for 15 years for my hemorrhoids. The pain goes away in 30 minutes, and swelling is gone in 1 or 2 days.

Comment from: PeruGuy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

Having traveled extensively around the world, I've seen two distinct ways people defecate. In India, Bangladesh, Africa, the Middle East, the Orient and small towns in the French countryside, I've seen toilets that look like ashtrays imbedded in the floor. 0ne must squat with feet on the ridges aiming at the hole below, forcing one into a deep squat or hunker. But with pants below the knees, it creates a risk of a dude's wallet in the back pocket falling into the nastiness. But without an option, one can easily adapt. I never had hemorrhoids until age 63 when I retired in Peru, where we have the conventional indoor throne. The hemorrhoids have persisted for ten years against all medical attempts short of surgery, until recently when I came across a Facebook post telling me to squat instead of sit. So I tried it. The hemorrhoids seem to be going away. For tons more information, Google 'squat vs sit.'

Comment from: wilks, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I had 20 years of suffering from hemorrhoids, trying this cream, that diet, until I finally discovered witch hazel. It cleared them up in a couple of days, such a relief. Just dab a bit on after showering, bathing or visiting the loo. Can't believe the difference!

Comment from: sherryt1020, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

Two months ago I developed external hemorrhoids. I tried Preparation H with and without biodyne, Destin and cortisone cream. Nothing worked, they would shrink a little and then get large again. I had almost decided to go to the doctor when I came across a web page that was talking about iodine. Now the type they mentioned was SSKI (saturated solution of potassium iodide). This is not available over the counter in the US so we got a bottle of good old fashion iodine tincture at Walgreens. It is available at any store. At first I followed the 20 drops to 2 oz of olive oil. It burned just a tad, nothing unbearable. It has been 3 days and a few of the smaller hemorrhoids have actually disappeared. The large one I have is now much smaller, it is not gone but shrinking quickly. Plus they stopped hurting and itching. I have increased the ration of iodine as of today, and it burned a little more but still bearable. I put the solution directly on the hemorrhoids. I hope this will help someone. There is a whole list of things iodine can help and this is just one of them.

Comment from: DotDotDot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am a female in my 20s who doesn't exercise at all but eats decently. I started to suffer from recurring hemorrhoids randomly a year ago and it was so painful I would wake up from my sleep. It was painful in any position, sitting down, standing up, and lying on bed (side way, face up, face down, etc.) Walking around did seem to help, however. In the beginning, I used Vaseline to seal minor bleeding and tear. For pain, I took Advil or acetaminophen. Then, I purchased witch hazel wipes, which were helpful to reduce swelling. I use both Tucks (smaller sheets but more moist) and Preparation H (larger sheet but kind of dry). I prefer Tucks. I also purchased suppositories but found it painful to insert it. I am now going on a 100 percent cold-pressed juice diet and drinking 3 L of water per day to clean and rest my gastrointestinal tract. Hopefully, hemorrhoid will be gone for good!

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hemorrhoids

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding eithe...learn more >>
Postpartum Perineal Care
Postpartum Perineal Care The perineum is between the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder, and the anus. In women, the perineum includes the vaginal opening. Some times...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids:

Hemorrhoids - Surgery

Did you need surgery for your hemorrhoids? Please describe the experience.

Hemorrhoids - Causes

Do you sit too much? Not enough fiber in your diet? Please discuss the reason for your hemorrhoids.

Hemorrhoids - Symptoms

What are your hemorrhoid symptoms?