Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A)

What was the treatment for your hepatitis A infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: nurse, 45-54 Female Published: March 21

I had to get IV fluids twice when dehydration was severe. I was told to rest at home till infectious period was over. I had a lengthy period off work to recover. I was told fatigue was common post hep A.

Comment from: Gulshan Pahwa, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 24

My son had HAV and had to be hospitalized for 10 days. He was vomiting and I got him admitted in the hospital. His condition improved only after 15 days. His eyes were yellow and his skin also turned to yellow. The doctor advised him to take rest for a month and gave him multivitamin syrups.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had hepatitis about 15 years ago, never knew which one I had until I read this page, and now I know it was HAV. I remember being very sick, and was going to be isolated in the hospital, but the doctor decided to do house calls every day, took blood tests every day and had to have complete bed rest. As far as I can remember there wasn't much treatment, only rest and blood tests. I had no energy at all. I'm sure things have progressed a lot further since then. Hope this might help someone.

Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease

CDC.gov. Hepatitis A Vaccination.

CDC.gov. Prevention of Hepatitis A Through Active or Passive Immunization

Klevens RM, Kruszon-Moran D, Wasley A, et al, Seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus antibodies in the U.S.: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Public Health Rep., 126(4):522-32, 2011.

MedscapeReference.com. Hepatitis A.