Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A)

What were the symptoms of your hepatitis A? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: yogalady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

Following a retreat to Mexico in a facility without electricity, potable water and poor sanitation system, I developed hepatitis A from contaminated food and water. Although I drank only bottled water, dishes were washed in non-potable water and fruits and vegetables washed in same water. At first I suffered from diarrhea which subsided but reoccurred every few days after I returned home. I was extremely tired and the area under my ribs in front and back were tender (my liver). My stool turned light colored and my urine dark. I lost my appetite. It lasted approximately 90 days. My liver enzymes were extremely high. To recover, no alcohol, no medicines processed through liver, and no fatty foods. I took milk thistle and vitamin B supplement; and rest.

Comment from: mothergoose3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have had Hepatitis A (though the first time they called it "Yellow Jaundice") twice. Neither time did anyone else in the house get infected. The first time I was 13 yrs old and since that was in March 1953 water would probably have been a problem. I was not treated other than told I couldn't eat anything containing fats or eggs. I was allowed to eat dry toast (Melba toast), boiled fish, and a bit of jam on my toast. My 10 yr old cousin in a rural area had it at almost the same time, and she was not treated and she could eat whatever she wanted. Hers didn't last as long, mine lasted a month. We both had to drink lots of water. The second time was when I was 30 yrs old (Feb. 1971). I had no treatment other than drinking lots of water, and I was sick for a month. Both times the symptoms vomiting, pain around the liver, dark yellow skin and eyes, pale diarrhea, and very itchy skin (particularly when I was 30).

Comment from: LPK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I suffered 48 hours of continuous diarrhea and vomiting before I got to see a doctor, now a week since diagnosis and I have suffered a myriad of symptoms from extreme fatigue, joint aches and cramps, constipation, loss of appetite, insomnia, itchy skin which has resulted in a nasty rash and dark urine. I would not wish this on anyone, please be sure to wash those hands.

Comment from: Esther, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 16

My husband returned from a three month trip to India and coming home on the plane he felt very I'll with shivers and weakness. He was incontinent and unable to walk or to talk. His temperature shoot up to 103. A week later he was unable to walk and felt extremely weak without appetite or any strength to walk or sit. He lost weight and had very dark circles under the eyes. His diarrhea was non-stop for two weeks. Blood tests were done and it showed the liver enzymes were abnormal. One week later we were told he had hepatitis A.

Comment from: sally c., 25-34 Female Published: September 20

My complexion of skin of my face and neck became very yellow. I lost my appetite. I felt generally under the weather. I lost weight. I seem to remember that it lasted several weeks and gradually faded away. I remember I felt an aversion to all foods, particularly those containing milk and milk products. I drank a lot of water because I was told it was good for me. That was several years ago and I have never had another attack.

Comment from: Kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Extreme headache, joint aches, insomnia, anxiety, cognitive impairment, painful eyes and others.

With hepatitis A I've been suffering from fatigue, sore throat, unusual thirst, light-colored stools, brown urine, yellowing of skin and eyes, and indigestion.

Comment from: Stressed Parent, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My child has yellow eyes, fatigue, loss of appetite, and itchy skin, and occasional stomach pains.

Comment from: nurse, 45-54 Female Published: March 21

I started with lower back pain, fever, vomiting and headache. This progressed to severe vomiting, dehydration and weakness. My urine was dark and I had a slight jaundice to whites of my eyes.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have hepatitis A. I have a fever, my eyes are getting yellowish and my urine is dark.

Comment from: Mohd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

With hepatitis A, I had a fever for a few days as well as itchy skin all over my body.

• Hepatitis A - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hepatitis A infection?

Post View 3 Comments

Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease

CDC.gov. Hepatitis A Vaccination.

CDC.gov. Prevention of Hepatitis A Through Active or Passive Immunization

Klevens RM, Kruszon-Moran D, Wasley A, et al, Seroprevalence of hepatitis A virus antibodies in the U.S.: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Public Health Rep., 126(4):522-32, 2011.

MedscapeReference.com. Hepatitis A.