Hepatitis C (Hep C, HCV)

What symptoms have you experienced with acute or chronic hepatitis C? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Iwannabehealthyagain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I was diagnosed almost ten years ago with chronic hepatitis C. I was infected in December (I think I was poked by a needle lying around in my sister’s room), and by April I was getting symptoms. It started with stomach pain, and nausea, and I am an avid green smoker. It’s been ten years and the stomach pain is getting worse, and I’m waking up vomiting at least once a month. About 5 years ago I started getting the rash as well, it’s still here, still huge, and I think I’m ready for interferon.

Comment from: Heps c, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have had hepatitis C over two years now and am always having heartburn around the right side.

Comment from: bgrenco, 55-64 Male Published: May 14

I too have had Hep-c since the late 70's due to IV drugs. I got sober in 1981 from the drugs and alcohol (thank God). I got good news after a liver biopsy in 2010 which my doctor suggested. The biopsy showed minimum damage to the liver. I do get tired, fatigued and confused after long hours of work. Maybe age related but I find that a little taking care of myself, with rest, proper eating and a little exercise I seem to do well. Also a yearly blood work to keep a handle on what my liver is doing.

Comment from: carla steele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was diagnosed almost two years ago with hepatitis C. I have no idea how long I have had it and it seems to be getting progressively worse. I don’t drink and take only prescribed meds. I don’t have medical insurance so this has been the biggest obstacle to my getting treatment. I also have a fatty liver, large hiatal hernia, and a ventral hernia below that. Add to that hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Myra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am on week 8 of my treatment up for my very important lab test that will give doctor an indication of how long I will need treatment. I am hopeful for the short treatment but I feel very blessed that the side effects have not been that bad and if I go the long treatment I know I can do it. I have not missed one day of work thanks to my wonderful husband that allows me to rest while he keeps up with the house and kids. I will beat this!

Comment from: missled2u, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C in the late 90s. I knew nothing about treatment. I didn't know much about hepatitis C period. I thought my doctor would have given me better options and more explanations. All I was told my numbers were not bad and treatment is not necessary at this time. Well now my viral load is a little over a million my platelets are at 37,000 and fluid is building in my abdomen. I have the meds to start treatment but am being told to wait to see if I can get this other drug that helps raise the platelet count. I'm so scared this fluid in my stomach came out of nowhere I mean I have been retaining water but nothing like this.

Comment from: Truegypsyatheart, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

In 2008 I discovered I had Hep C, and after all testing was done my viral load was in the 7+ million range. When the biopsy was being performed I remembered that in 1983 I had surgery to remove my gall bladder and that doctor had done a biopsy on my liver, but never said what the results were and at that time I had never heard of Hep C. So I realized that I had probably been positive for almost 30 years, but really had not felt any true side effects! I had the most wonderful doctor (didn't hurt that he looked like Patrick Dempsey either!) and went through the 48-week treatment. You definitely need a GREAT doctor who is very supportivr. It was the most intense thing I have ever experienced: exhaustion, nausea and vomiting; hair, eyelashes, eyebrows and nails fell out; sensitivity to light and to touch; falling levels of immune system resulting in weekly Procrit shots for six months; massive bruising at the injection site that lasts for weeks, so you have to pick a new spot each week. I would take the treatment on Friday night about 9PM and then go to sleep. I would wake up around three with nausea resulting in profuse vomiting, and it would last about four days. I tested clean after just 8 weeks of treatment, and was ready to quit after the six months of treatment, but my doctor was so supportive that I decided since I was already this far into it, I may as well "suck it up" and finish the next five months. I worked full-time during this time, and was especially moved by the fellow employees who donated sick and annual leave to allow me to take time off with pay. I feel I was blessed to have this treatment.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My symptoms for hepatitis C are nausea, fatigue, confusion, weakness and pain on my right side.

Comment from: deedee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I was diagnosed in late 2009. I have no idea how I contracted hepatitis C. I completed my 48-week treatment six months ago. I'm waiting on the results of my six-month labs. My viral load was undetectable after six weeks of treatment. I participated in a study program with peginterferon, ribavirin and the newly approved FDA drug boceprevir. This was the hardest thing I've ever went through. I've never been sick or unhealthy, but I stuck it out. The side effects of treatment are horrendous, I won't lie to you. But with a history of liver disease in my family, I felt it was the only choice I had. If you are dealing with this, I hope treatment goes well for you.

QUESTION

Hepatitis C virus causes an infection of the ______________. See Answer
Comment from: Dusty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I think I contracted Hep C back in the 70s. I am now continually fatigued, have nausea and hip & joint pain. I have been told I should start treatment even though the chance of being free of Hep C is only about 20%. My husband also has Hep C and is considering the treatment, as his syptoms are much the same.

Comment from: AlyKat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I caught Hepatitis C when I was 18 by sharing needles for intravenous drug use. I turn 32 tomorrow, and I haven't felt or seen any Hepatitis C symptoms until December 2010. I have always had yellowing in my eyes, but since December, I have been extremely fatigued all day, every day, with sleep disturbances at night. My stomach hurts every time I eat something (even if it's a very small portion or something healthy). I've been having major stomach pains accompanied sometimes with diarrhea. My stomach is so extremely bloated all the time, it looks like I'm pregnant. I get the chills on and off every day, all day, but some days/weeks are better than others. Sometimes I get low-grade fevers. I'm really scared that this is getting past the serious point. My Doctor is not good at all, and is not willing to do anything to help me.

Comment from: 3dblkmn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I found out 2 yrs ago that I acquired hepatitis C during a surgery in 1976. I am a type I with extremely high levels of infection. Results of biopsy showed "minimal to insignificant" damage to my liver.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 16 soon to be 17 and I found out about a year ago that I had Hep C. I went to my doctor and had a live biopsy done my levels are very low and he said if I wanted to start the treatment I could but he did another test on me and it came back 20% chance that I’ll do it for a year and it will not do anything so he thinks I should wait until I’m 18. Then I’ll be able to take adult medication or I could start the inferon, but it can cause hair loss, diabetes and make u feel like crap, but since there is only a 20 percent chance of doing the treatment and it’s not going to do anything I think I’ll wait!

SLIDESHOW