Hernia

What was the treatment for your hernia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a paraesophageal hiatal hernia with most of my stomach up in my chest cavity pressing on my left lung and heart. I had robotic surgery with the stomach moved back in the abdomen and a LINX device placed around my esophagus.

Comment from: Suhas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a right inguinal hernia and since I'm young, my family and doctors suggested I should go for open surgery to save cost and that I will recover soon. One day before operation I was admitted in the hospital for all the check up and morning 8 AM operation time got fixed. They gave anesthesia injection on lower spinal cord and covered my face with cloth so I don't see and feel afraid during the operation. Then at one point I asked the nurse if the operation was over or not started yet, because I didn't feel anything but I couldn't move my legs, and she said it was over. After the operation I was very cold. That they evening I was told to walk and I slowly started walking but had a lot of pain. After having an injection for pain and sleep, it lasted only 3 hours, and I got up at night and didn't sleep the entire night. Next day morning I started walking and came home. After 10 days I went for checkup and everything was ok, and till now no problem I'm perfectly fine.

Comment from: Needing Answers, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My brother has an inoperable hernia due to heart and lung issues. A previous surgery with mesh, many years ago, has failed with the intestines pushing into the groin area. He can't walk without holding this mass up. We are searching for any medical device that would support the mass without pushing in and putting pressure on it. The pain is unbearable for him. And even the most specialized physicians say that surgery is impossible. Of course we all know that one twist of the intestines and it is over for him.

Comment from: SGARCIA7021, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son had a hernia in the groin area. He had surgery 3 months ago. Now he is saying that on the other side of his groin he is feeling discomfort. I wonder if he could have another hernia on the other side.

Comment from: mark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I was told by 2 different doctors not to worry about my hernia as they do not repair these any more in the absence of pain. This seems counter intuitive to me.

Comment from: salehuddin, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

Actually over the last two weeks, I found that there was a swelling at the left groin. This morning I went to the clinic and the doctor diagnosed that I am having a hernia.

REFERENCE:

Elnahas, A., S.H. Kim, A. Okrainec, F. Quereshy, and T.D. Jackson. "Is laparoscopic repair of incarcerated abdominal hernias safe? Analysis of short-term outcomes." Surg Endosc 30.8 August 2016: 3262-3266.