Hernia

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Steed Lewis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a pretty fit, slim non-smoking man, 46 years of age. I used to run 3 times a week before surgery and carry out other exercise. I had bi-lateral, inguinal hernia surgery 6 months ago; I had two, 2 inch incisions about an inch or so above my penis either side of my lower abdomen and the repair was carried out using mesh. My hernia repairs appear to have healed fine following the surgery, but I do still have swelling and soreness on either side and just above my testicles. My problem, since the surgery, I have an overactive (if that's possible) cremasteric reflex and my testicles spend most of the day ascended in my abdomen. I believe, but don't know for sure that this is due to scar tissue affecting/shortening my spermatic chord. I feel like my testicles are constantly being squashed! I had a consultation/examination with the surgeon last week and he has said it is fine and is just taking a while to heal. I can't run at the moment and I limit all physical activity as much as possible; it just leads to more pain/swelling. I would love to know when my testicles will go back to normal and when I'll be able to run again.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had ventral hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, I am not overweight and in pretty good shape. I was on pain medicines oxycodone for 3 days then ibuprofen for about 5 days. Gradually after about a week the pain began to subside. End of second week I went for exercise walks. I still experience slight pain in the surgery area around navel and mesh area. Mesh area near belt line is a little puffy and swollen. Doctor gave me limitations of 20 lb lifting after the 2 weeks. I have been off of work the whole time. I will be going back to the doctor today for a nod to go back to work after 5 weeks. A little worried about work requirements like lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. We'll see today.

Comment from: Mcauley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had umbilical hernia repair 3 weeks ago. It went well. I had bearable pain for the first 5 days and after that was almost pain free. I took it easy for the first week and then gradually got back to normal. I walked every day and took painkillers for the first few days. I feel so much better now that the hernia has been repaired and would advise anyone with a hernia to have this operation.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

On June 6, 2015 I had to have a hernia repair done. The year before I had colon cancer and had a resection done, in the same area I developed a large hernia that stuck out from stomach on the right side. I had an 8 inch hole that they had to repair. They pulled all of the muscles in the area together and put two layers of mesh on it to hold it together. It is now September 4th, 2015 and I am still in pain. The area is hard and if I move wrong the pain causes me to double over. They said that the type of repair that I had done was going to be very painful. I have been back to the doctors and they are saying that I have nerve damage and put me on Lyrica to help with the pain. It does help but I am in pain every day at work at home and trying to move in my sleep is a joke. I am at my wits' end I just don't know what to do and I am so tired of being in pain all the time.

Comment from: Richard, Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had bilateral inguinal hernias repaired surgically some 10 days ago, laparoscopic keyhole surgery with nylon mesh inserted. All holding together so far. There is bruising and soreness under the belly button where the main incision took place. Further down feels fine. I am slowly building up my activity level but without the heavy lifting. I am trying to avoid coughing and sneezing as these can be painful. Two weeks off work with plenty of lying down is helping with the recovery. I anticipate it will be around 6 weeks before I hop back on my road bike for a decent cycle.

Comment from: Gina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had ventral hernia surgery done in July 2017 and I never feel like I am pain free. My abdomen feels sore and now my lower back and lower abdominal pain have got worse. I cannot eat a proper meal, I eat very little food. I think my doctor need to do CT scan to find out what is wrong. I am so sick and tired being sick. I used to walk one hour and do yoga, but now I am not able to do my yoga.

Comment from: ray, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I had my hernia surgery in the year of 2014 and have recovered very well thanks to the Asante program. What started my hernia was when I was on my motorcycle, the front tire went down and I was out on the freeway when that happened. I had a big semi freightliner behind and I didn't have control of my motorcycle and so I kicked with my foot on the pavement and the bike went to the side of the freeway and I finally got it under control. In about 2 weeks after that when I was standing out in the yard a sharp pain hit me and I discovered I had a hernia. I lived with it for 15 years until finally decided to have surgery done when it started to get strangled, but now it is fine, no problem.

Comment from: Pattiesue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

After the hernia operation I still have a big bulge in the middle that was not there before. I don't know how to get rid of the bulge. I would not have the surgery again if I knew this was going to happen.

Comment from: tree352, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

Yes I had a hernia fixed, that was caused by having another surgery. It's back. It's been bothering me, I went to the surgeon and he said I have to lose weight. He won't do anything. I've got to get at least 20 pounds off; that's easy for him to say.

Comment from: caroline.l, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I'm recovering after a very large hernia repair which was part of bowel intestine and stomach this was after a C section that a hospital messed up and ended up with this hernia. The operation itself took me well over a year to get to and now I've had it done. I feel so much better. I have mesh inside 6cm of mesh I don't know it's there. It's 4 weeks tomorrow since my operation and after having MRSA with this hernia operation it's still all ok. Fingers crossed but I'm not doing anything no lifting no bending or stretching a little walking but with 2 little ones under 3 doing nothing it is hard. I can't wait to get back to normal!

Comment from: susieq, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

My hernia was caused by radiation therapy for cancer. I had a hole between the rectum and vagina from the pellet radiation. This caused me to have a colostomy which ended in a hernia on my left side below my belly button. I was constantly having blockages in great pain, when finally I saw a surgeon about repairing the hernia and the intestines. About 4 hours of surgery, the hernia was repaired. A few months later it came back and is now even larger. I cannot eat raw vegetables plus many cooked ones. They refuse to touch me again as I have had too many surgeries and scar tissue. I still have the blockages but it is caused by scar tissue tearing when I move wrong. I am on disability due to the chemo causing nerve damage to my feet plus I cannot bend over as I can cause scar tissue to tear and I am sick all over again. I can take pain medication and xenox if I can keep it down. If not a suppository to knock me out is the only answer. So I think you should really weigh all options. I know I would never do the radiation pellets as I believe I would have been ok as this was just overkill. Although, I am alive and lots aren't with stage 4 cancer and it is over 5 years. I just think the treatment can do tons of damage and my whole life has changed. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: alb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I recently had a hernia repaired. It was in the bellybutton area. The doctor cut around my bellybutton it was quick and not as painful as I thought. I had more pain before the repair than after surgery. I'm glad I had it repaired so that I can go back to my usual physical activity.

Comment from: atwitsend, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had umbilical hernia surgery one week ago on 5/13/15. After surgery no one came and talked to me about the surgery and what they did and found. I was provided a small amount of medicines for recovery and oh yeah, this is my 7th surgery on my abdomen area. I called doctor's office and was told that no more medicines would be prescribed as I was given enough until my post operation 1 week later. I was told by the chief to purchase Tylenol and take that for my pain and go to the emergency room (ER) to be evaluated. No one brought me back in early to re-evaluate my situation. Feet and legs are swollen and I have severe cramping in my legs post operation. I was told that my procedure didn't warrant more pain medications as I should not be in pain and the pain I had was not surgical pain, and to call my primary doctor since he was seeing me for chronic abdomen pain. Primary doctor called the surgeon but the surgeon does not feel my pain is surgery related and said to take Motrin. I did go to the ER 4 days after surgery as I could not stand the pain any longer. Surgeon said 36 Percocet were more than enough for the procedure I had. I don't know what to do or where to go from here.

Comment from: slsh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I was told by my doctor, that due to my advanced age, I am 62, that he would not do anything to treat my hernia. I believe the hernia was caused by my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) condition. I also have lost weight and my desire to eat, and suffer from GERD. He tossed a paper about hernias at me and walked off. Yes, I will be looking for a new doctor.

Comment from: GiGi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I awoke to a horrible pain. I tried to relaxing, but it got worse. I decided to go to the hospital. By the time I got there, I could barely walk. I was vomiting and sweating profusely. I've given birth to two children naturally. I've had kidney stones. This was worse. The doctor ordered a CT scan told me I had a strangulated hernia and I needed surgery right away. Surgery went well and they repaired the hernia with mesh. I was released from the hospital and a week later I had a follow up visit with my surgeon. He removed half the staples and the drain. Big mistake! My body started to fill with the drainage and I was rushed back to surgery. They reopened my wound and put a wound vacuum on my tummy and an in-home nurse came every other day to care for my wound. It was brutal.

Comment from: pat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I had my first hernia surgery on the side of my pelvis. It was painful but recovered just fine. Two weeks ago I had surgery on the right side and now every time I eat I have a knot or lump or something there and it gets painful.

Comment from: sadkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am two days home after being in hospital for seven days for an incisional hernia. I had a lump that I didn't think was an issue, then one day shopping, I nearly doubled over. I went to ER and had surgery with some bowel removed and now a 12-inch incision. The surgeon said it's caused by being fat. I had four previous torso surgeries but now blame myself for not losing weight, causing this. I am afraid of doing anything or eating anything that will cause this to happen again.

Comment from: Lindy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My mum had an incisional hernia repaired twice but it still grew back again, and it ultimately caused her death last month after strangulating her bowel. We have since discovered that if you start vomiting brown liquid you should go to your nearest A&E department urgently as it can mean an obstructed bowel which can be fatal, as in my mums case.

Comment from: recovering, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I just returned home from 4.5 hours of emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia. I am on a blood thinners and needed three bags of plasma before surgery. Even morphine would not stop the pain. Lucky I didn't have to have any bowel removed. Please fix that hernia before it is an emergency!

Comment from: Dudley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had surgery for an abdominal hernia approximately three weeks ago. I have just started having a lot of pain and cramping especially after going for a walk and eating. I have started taking Tylenol for the pain.

Comment from: ezz, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 21

I had a hernia in September. I didn't know it was hernia until I had a large lump appear just above my groin area on the left side.

Comment from: kitty2bird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I started feeling like everything was falling out of me, started vomiting nonstop. My son took me to local E.R. where I was given something for pain and vomiting. They took blood and X-rays and said I needed surgery, then sent me home. I was in severe pain and vomiting that day and the next. My son took me to a hospital in the next state. They were shocked by the way I was treated at local hospital. Did a CT scan, and had emergency surgery immediately.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had strangulated hernia, which caused me to have emergency surgery. The doctor removed over 12 inches of dead bowel. I am at home now but, this was such a bad experience.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: December 13

My son has a hernia between his navel and pelvic area which is enlarged five centimeters. The doctors have given his a belt but the hernia has become painful and he has to have a laxative for his bowels to move. He is incarcerated and the doctors will not operate.

Comment from: Momma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had hernia repair while I was having a liver transplant. I was not pleased with it because it left a bulge in my navel I hadn't had before the repair. I didn't even know I had a hernia.

Comment from: JJ, 75 or over Male Published: November 22

After a slight burning in lower groin area, the burning and uncomfortable ache progressed over an estimated month. Went to my primary care physician for an exam - prognosis a hernia. He has recommended consultation with a local surgeon - which is scheduled in two weeks. In the interim, no heavy lifting.

Comment from: Bill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm 72 and my small abdominal hernia is totally new to me. With little knowledge of this condition, I was feeling a bit panicky. My primary care physician has always been insensitive to my feelings and thinks that explanations are not his responsibility. All he had to say, after I proved to him that I had a hernia was "Nobody should live past age 75." Naturally, I fired him. Thank you for the clear information. I will find another doctor to evaluate my hernia. You have not only informed me as what action to take, you have calmed my mind.

Comment from: kk, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

A year ago I had hernia surgery. I still have pain in stomach after the operation.

Comment from: davyidol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I underwent abdominal hernia surgery about three years ago, I was not told what caused this condition but I assume that it was due to a previous exploratory surgery to find out the cause of a severe abdominal infection. I turned out to be a misplaced appendix which threw my symptoms off and created a severe infection throughout my abdomen. I believe this infection eroded or weakened the abdominal wall, creating two large hernias and severe pain. During surgery my entire abdominal lining was examined and found to be greatly compromised. A large netting was placed over nearly the entire abdomen. After three years I have no pain where the hernias were but I do experience some occasional stomach pain as well as under my diaphragm (where the netting stops) but it is so much better and I can do things again. It's not perfect, but ninety percent relief is much better than not being able to do anything.

Comment from: MICHELE, 35-44 Female Published: June 22

I have had two hernia repairs and how I have to have another one. I don't understand why I keep getting hernias. I do not lift heavy items and I'm not sure what I can do to stop this from happening.

Comment from: PP99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I had an incarcerated umbilical wall hernia repaired on 6/1/11. The surgeon said she could repair it successfully and due to the size that I probably had it for a very long time. I was hospitalized for 3 days and in an extended care facility for 2 additional days. This was because I am disabled and needed a couple of days of recuperation to be able to care for myself. Post surgery the pain was strong when trying to sit up or stand and walk for the first 2 1/2 days and moderate on the third day. After the third day it was tolerable but I was somewhat weak and light headed. After the fourth day I had intermittent pain that was tolerable. No problems with infection of any kind and I am healing nicely. I am a type 2 diabetic so my recovery is much better than was anticipated. I was blessed with a great surgeon.

Comment from: BSP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I had an operation for an epigastric hernia about 10 years ago. Before I underwent surgery the surgeon told me that such operations are often unsuccessful. Well, he was correct because 10 years down the line, it is back as bad as it was before. It is unsightly.

Comment from: lois beauty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I recently had a hernia repair. It was a result of an incision from a kidney operation. It has a mesh implant. I'm a 77 year-old hairdresser and would like to get back to work. Work keeps me mentally healthy. I think I need a 2nd opinion because I don't think the mesh was large enough. My right side bulges still and is still uncomfortable.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a hernia repaired 7 months ago only to have another develop soon after. I recently had this repaired with great success. I have minimal pain and no problems.

Comment from: allanw, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I had a large bulge in my groin. I had open surgery which was said to be successful but within two weeks the post-operative pain increased to the extent that it is painful to walk or sit and even when lying down.

Comment from: deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had a hernia repaired about six months ago, only to have another develop below the original site. I am very worried that surgery will be required as I had an infection and problems from my last surgery, resulting in a month-long stay in the hospital and vacuum therapy.

Comment from: Desperate Sister, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My sister has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has an incisional hernia in the lower right side of her abdomen. This hernia is the size of a cantaloupe and is inoperable because of blood clot issues.

Comment from: cheslea1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had surgery in 2006 for an incarcerated epigastric hernia - I had the mesh done - I now feel my hernia moving around where it shouldn't be. I had a surgeon who made a 4 inch incision running down my upper abdomen. I have a little pain but really don't want to go through surgery again especially with all the problems they are having with the mesh. Not sure what the danger of leaving it alone is.

REFERENCE:

Elnahas, A., S.H. Kim, A. Okrainec, F. Quereshy, and T.D. Jackson. "Is laparoscopic repair of incarcerated abdominal hernias safe? Analysis of short-term outcomes." Surg Endosc 30.8 August 2016: 3262-3266.