Viewer Comments: Hernia - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Prognosis

Did you have surgery for your hernia, and what was the prognosis?

Comment from: Steed Lewis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a pretty fit, slim non-smoking man, 46 years of age. I used to run 3 times a week before surgery and carry out other exercise. I had bi-lateral, inguinal hernia surgery 6 months ago; I had two, 2 inch incisions about an inch or so above my penis either side of my lower abdomen and the repair was carried out using mesh. My hernia repairs appear to have healed fine following the surgery, but I do still have swelling and soreness on either side and just above my testicles. My problem, since the surgery, I have an overactive (if that's possible) cremasteric reflex and my testicles spend most of the day ascended in my abdomen. I believe, but don't know for sure that this is due to scar tissue affecting/shortening my spermatic chord. I feel like my testicles are constantly being squashed! I had a consultation/examination with the surgeon last week and he has said it is fine and is just taking a while to heal. I can't run at the moment and I limit all physical activity as much as possible; it just leads to more pain/swelling. I would love to know when my testicles will go back to normal and when I'll be able to run again.

Comment from: Joe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I had ventral hernia repair almost 5 weeks ago. I don't know what caused it, I am not overweight and in pretty good shape. I was on pain medicines oxycodone for 3 days then ibuprofen for about 5 days. Gradually after about a week the pain began to subside. End of second week I went for exercise walks. I still experience slight pain in the surgery area around navel and mesh area. Mesh area near belt line is a little puffy and swollen. Doctor gave me limitations of 20 lb lifting after the 2 weeks. I have been off of work the whole time. I will be going back to the doctor today for a nod to go back to work after 5 weeks. A little worried about work requirements like lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. We'll see today.

Comment from: Mcauley, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had umbilical hernia repair 3 weeks ago. It went well. I had bearable pain for the first 5 days and after that was almost pain free. I took it easy for the first week and then gradually got back to normal. I walked every day and took painkillers for the first few days. I feel so much better now that the hernia has been repaired and would advise anyone with a hernia to have this operation.

Comment from: Nina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

On June 6, 2015 I had to have a hernia repair done. The year before I had colon cancer and had a resection done, in the same area I developed a large hernia that stuck out from stomach on the right side. I had an 8 inch hole that they had to repair. They pulled all of the muscles in the area together and put two layers of mesh on it to hold it together. It is now September 4th, 2015 and I am still in pain. The area is hard and if I move wrong the pain causes me to double over. They said that the type of repair that I had done was going to be very painful. I have been back to the doctors and they are saying that I have nerve damage and put me on Lyrica to help with the pain. It does help but I am in pain every day at work at home and trying to move in my sleep is a joke. I am at my wits' end I just don't know what to do and I am so tired of being in pain all the time.

Comment from: Richard, Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had bilateral inguinal hernias repaired surgically some 10 days ago, laparoscopic keyhole surgery with nylon mesh inserted. All holding together so far. There is bruising and soreness under the belly button where the main incision took place. Further down feels fine. I am slowly building up my activity level but without the heavy lifting. I am trying to avoid coughing and sneezing as these can be painful. Two weeks off work with plenty of lying down is helping with the recovery. I anticipate it will be around 6 weeks before I hop back on my road bike for a decent cycle.

Comment from: ray, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I had my hernia surgery in the year of 2014 and have recovered very well thanks to the Asante program. What started my hernia was when I was on my motorcycle, the front tire went down and I was out on the freeway when that happened. I had a big semi freightliner behind and I didn't have control of my motorcycle and so I kicked with my foot on the pavement and the bike went to the side of the freeway and I finally got it under control. In about 2 weeks after that when I was standing out in the yard a sharp pain hit me and I discovered I had a hernia. I lived with it for 15 years until finally decided to have surgery done when it started to get strangled, but now it is fine, no problem.

Comment from: Pattiesue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

After the hernia operation I still have a big bulge in the middle that was not there before. I don't know how to get rid of the bulge. I would not have the surgery again if I knew this was going to happen.

Must Read Articles Related to Hernia

Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>
Hernia FAQ
Hernia FAQs Hernia occurs when part of an organ (intestine, b...learn more >>
Obesity
Obesity More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight, including at least one in five children. Nearly one-third are obese. Obesity is on the rise in our society ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hernia:

Hernia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your hernia?

Hernia - Surgery

Did you have surgery to repair your hernia?

Hernia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hernia?