Hernia

What symptoms did you experience with your hernia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 2old2quit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 28

My hernia has 2 phases. Phase 1, I think heavy lifting caused it on April 7 but only noticed it the day after, during bowel movement. If I leaned forward elbows on knees and pushed, something moved like a flap. Stop pushing it flops back. If I sit up straight and push, no sensation. Hoping it would go away, I ignored it. Phase 2, two weeks ago it moved forward where you can now see it, touch it, move it around, push it back in, sometimes squeeze out gurgles of gas. Only now was there soreness or bruising. There was more gurgling activity and parking of gas at the hernia. Hernia must be connected to anus because sensation of passing gas through both comes at the same time (once). Family (father, brother) has history of hernias. Solution, I have an appointment 11-28-2017 to figure this out.

Comment from: Beast 323, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I'm 37. A few years ago, around 2004, I was told that my right hemidiaphragm was elevated. I have been through many tests and different diagnostic for so long, and I always had back, chest, abdominal pains, and shortness of breath. As of 2015 I found out my liver is in my chest and now I am going for thoracic surgery on 5/20. They told me it is a real big one and very rare; one doctor is calling it an epigastric hernia. So yes, I'm scared and I will let you know how it goes. Oh, and I only have one lung, my left one, working and my right lung, well my liver is in its place.

Comment from: Lionessg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had stomach issues for most of my life, attributed to IBS. This past April, I was diagnosed with pericardio effusion (fluid around the heart). I was treated with anti-inflamatories and was fine. When I was going into the hospital for a spinal cord stimulator for back pain (I also suffer from Fibromyalgia), I was told the swelling was back when a routine chest X-ray was done. A CT scan revealed a herniated gastric lumen. My gastro doctor followed up with an upper GI and then an endoscopy, and it was found that I had a diaphragmatic hernia, probably congenital. About 2/3 of my stomach had protruded through the hole and was rubbing against my heart, which was very likely the cause of the pericardio effusion. My back surgery was postponed, and I was scheduled for the following Monday for a hernia repair. They used the largest medical patch possible and 30 to 40 titanium staples that will remain inside permanently, several can be felt from the outside as they are against the inside of my rib cage. I was told there was very little space to work with as they could not "sew or attach" to the heart and had to kind of make it up as they went along. I was lucky they were able to do this laparoscopicly. I am now six weeks post-op and still feel as if I have been beaten by a pack of thugs! Since surgery I can't lift or move my right arm, a problem I never had to this severity. The pain, even though I am on a 100 mcg/hr fentanyl patch is at least an 8 at all times in my shoulder and I am having to take Vicodin for breakthrough pain in my abdomen about three to four times a day. I was told it was life threatening if I didn't have the hernia fixed. I feel worse than I was before and wonder if they have left me in worse condition and with a shorter life span as a result!

Comment from: Barry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had surgery to fix a hernia 40 years ago. Suddenly I had pain there that lasted a couple months, horrible pain, steadily getting worse. I was ready to go to the hospital and let them cut, it has been that bad. I have had an inversion table in the basement for years, I got it because the chiropractor had me on one. I bought it for 100 bucks, probably the best 100 bucks I ever spent. Today I was searching for an internist or a general surgeon. I decided to try the inversion table. I don't even have it set to turn me completely upside down. Stayed on it for 3 or 4 minutes, got up and the horrible pain was almost gone! I didn't try it because the pain has been in front, not the sciatica pain I know all too well. Didn't think going upside down could possibly help. The first thing I noticed was it was pulling on the painful area just above the crease, between groin and leg. This is a wonderful thing. Try it before you let anyone cut you.

Comment from: gotalump, (Patient) Published: July 01

A few days ago I noticed a lump below my sternum and above my belly button, and the lump only appears when I am going from a lying position to getting up. As my muscles tense, the lump appears. When I saw the lump, I wondered to myself what was growing inside me. Than I did some research online (the worst thing to do) and saw it can possibly be an epigastric hernia, which I'm hoping that is all it is.

Comment from: Kymberly , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Ten days ago I had an umbilical hernia, from a gallbladder surgery I had last year. The surgeon decided to go in laparoscopic. He made five 1 inch incisions and one 2 inch incision. It was awful! Straight out of surgery, no pain medicines, Tylenol only! Seriously. I am in so much pain I want to cry. I am 46, and 275 lb. I have a 2 year old baby at home I can hardly take care of. I am thankful I have a huge family of means. But what about those people who don't! This surgeon told me nothing of the aftercare. This is not ok!

Comment from: gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I had inguinal hernia surgery when I was 11 months old, on the left side and at 17 months on the right side. I fell out of my crib at home and when my mother picked me up a bulge was sticking out like a hen's egg. I was afraid of white clothes and doctors and I would scream. My mother was only 27 years old.

Comment from: lorrie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

In 2015 I had a hernia repair with the mesh. Since then form the site of the repair I started swelling. I have gained about 5 lb. But I just keep swelling. No matter how much I diet it just keeps swelling.

Comment from: spike, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 16

5 years after having a tram flap reconstruction I developed a bad pain between my waist and the surgical incision. It was decided by the surgeon, that the mesh holding my abdominal wall together had failed, and I would require corrective surgery. After having this procedure I developed pancreatitis, and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I then was told my gall bladder had to be removed, which it was 2 months later. I have had 2 surgeries in a very short time. I now have quite a distended abdomen, to the point of constant pain after being on my feet for about 2 hours in the morning. The pain hovers around the original site on my left side. My surgeon told me to get used to it. Needless to say, I am very concerned that this hernia has returned.

Comment from: Stymied, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had a hiatal hernia for about 30 years now and its symptoms were always relieved by prescription medications until recently. Then I switched medications several times and still had discomfort. I have a very strange symptom, pain starts in the left chest side and underarm area and then goes down my arm and can also be felt in my back. This pain is quite sharp and will cause you to double over. The way I get it to go away is to raise my left arm and get rid of a lot of gas that seems to have filled my stomach.

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 32 years old and had a hernia for 9 years. Suddenly, one day, I experienced heavy pain in the area of the hernia, nausea, and back pain. Fourteen hours later, I was rushed to the emergency room. My small intestine got into the hernia, and a piece of my intestine died because of the fact that all blood circulation to the intestine was cut off. I had surgery, but the doctors only removed the piece of dead intestine. After three months, I was told to go back to surgery for the hernia to fill it up with mesh.

Comment from: pat m., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I experienced symptoms of acid reflux in my 30s, constantly. Doctor said it was hiatal hernia. I took Tagamet/Prevacid for 20 plus years. The medicines stopped working five years ago and I was put on Nexium. It works, but sometimes I have to take a second dose before sleep. I was told it was probably congenital, but I have a feeling it was self-induced by strenuous exercise during obstacle course as I felt the muscle pull or break-in pain for almost a week. It could be both congenital and induced by physical exertion, unknown. I don't want surgery unless necessary. So I am trying herbal remedies to increase circulation and do moderate exercise. Time will tell if this works; surgery is a last resort.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have a protruding area in my groin area. It is painful and very tender to the touch. I have been recently leaking urine at times out of the blue.

Comment from: alapahagirl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I've had problems with constipation most of my life. I had a pathologic hip fracture at age 11 and was in a body cast for six months, requiring enemas every other day. I'm 75 now and I have had multiple health problems including a nephrectomy 12 years ago for renal cancer. I have pretty bad arthritis, with a really bad back. I've had both knees replaced, but have declined back surgery. I'm unable to take NSAIDs due to the loss of a kidney, so I see a pain doctor and take Vicodin for my back. Anyway, all of this leads to more constipation. I do take stool softeners, not every day, but this seems to be too much.

Published: April 26

My 11-year-old son awoke at 2 a.m. with severe pain which he said was in his testicles. There was apparent swelling in his pubic region. I took him to the doctor the next morning and he was sent straight to hospital for surgical consult and ultrasound. A hernia was diagnosed and emergency surgery was performed that afternoon.

Comment from: Ttiur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 55 year old female. I had twelve inches removed from my large intestines when I was 37 years old. I felt a pain at my shoulder blade and discovered that I was a torn intestine and fluid was in my abdominal cavity which pushed everything up to my shoulder. There's some name for it, but I can't think of it. That was the beginning. After that I had a hernia from the surgical site. Then I had another and another until I've had a total of six "fixed" hernias. They used mesh every time. NOW, after a hysterectomy and gall bladder removal I have a hernia that's larger than a soft ball that hangs from my right abdomen. It is ugly. It is painful. And three very good specialists tell me it is too dangerous to fix. My intestines are almost visible through the hernia wall. The outer skin is different than my other skin. It seems thinner and gets lots of ulcers from rubbing on my clothing. It also gets bleeders, which is what I call them. One little vein starts bleeding. I have been to a specialist just for the ulcers on my hernia. He prescribed an ointment of painkiller mixed with the stuff they put on burn victims sores. Only one pharmacist in town will mix it. The surgeons said if I would rather go back to size 16 from the 3X I have to wear now or risk dying in surgery it was up to me. I just went out and bought a bunch of 3X clothes.

Comment from: sylvia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

With my hernia, I had extreme groin pain with difficulty walking.

Comment from: andi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had pain similar to indigestion, located under my left breast. I had frequent bowel movements, starting from every hour increasing to 15 minute intervals. These movements were hard little balls, which is not typical for me. The pain was stabbing and sharp and increased in intensity as time went on.

Comment from: sue, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

My fiance' was shoveling snow and later that night noticed a small lump, sore to the touch. The next day he shoveled the car out and came in all out of breath and the snow was slushy and heavy. Since then it has grown 3-4 times the size it started and does not go back in at all. He's in a lot of pain, but worried. He has no insurance to have surgery. The lump is huge now and is extremely painful now! It is right where your leg bends and toward the inner thigh.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had emergency gall bladder surgery, and two weeks after surgery I pointed out a lump that was appearing at one of the incision sites. Four months later a surgical student advised me it was a ruptured stomach muscle and that I was overweight. Since I was still sore and eating habits were being affected, I went back to my GP, and had an ultrasound done, where they diagnosed a hernia. I am now on the waiting list for surgery.

Comment from: T. ECCLES, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was recently told by my GP and specialist at the hospital that I could have a hernia, which kind as not been confirmed as yet, not until I have had, I think is called a CT scan! If it is confirmed that it is an hernia, I believe I have had it for some years. Reason being, due to minor and major operations over the past 27rs could have contributed in some way. It is only these past 2mths or so that I have become aware that something was not right, meaning, discomfort in the stomach area and other symptoms that come with hernias, which I have read up on recently. Also the job that I have been doing for the past 10rs, which is physical and demanding most times will have had a helping hand in it somewhere along the way. What I am concerned about, is while I am waiting for this appointment for the CT scan, I have had and still have bowel problems. I had to go to A and E at my hospital the other day with a bowel obstruction, which then was prescribed with some laxative remedies! It did cure the bowel obstruction, but now when I pass motions, it is like water. What I think I am trying to say is, the hospital do not seem to be taking it seriously. I am having to wait for this appointment for this CT scan, and then will have to wait again for the outcome of that, before they decide what to do from there! In the meantime, they have given me painkillers to take. And I would also like to add, that I am still working, which again the hospital know that my job is physical etc; but never said anything like maybe it would be advisable you don't work for the time being.

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

For my hernia, I experienced symptoms like swelling in the groin area. I was constipated and my lower abdomen had become red and itchy.

Comment from: Mr Happy Pants, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I had a left inguinal hernia repair in 2000. The repair felt tight and I would get sharp pains at random times. In 2007 I noticed a heavy rock like feeling. I developed a large mass in my left lower abdomen. Fearing cancer, the mass was removed only to discover it was due to my body rejecting the strap used to fix my hernia in 2000. Two years later, I am feeling another stone and can see the mass growing again. Hopefully someone someday will come up with a better solution. If you are going in for surgery, you might want to check to see what the chances are that your body will reject the strap too.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a hysterectomy and during the pre-op. I went for an MRI and found an umbilical hernia. I had it for quite a while apparently. They did a robotic hysterectomy and patched it with pig skin on 11/10. The hysterectomy part of my surgery is healing nicely and I was feeling really well. BUT, I screwed up and pulled my hernia badly and now I am back in excruciating pain and the doctor said there is nothing that can be done, and that if it heals badly he'll go back in when the hysterectomy is fully healed. Now, I'm back to being hunched over. I was just trying to not be such a burden on hubby and son and tried to get up without any assistance...now I'm back to square one again. What a dumb move. Hate being an invalid. My advice is dont rush the recovery!

Comment from: painfullstomach, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I just came home today after having hernia repaired 2 days ago. It was not fun at all, and morphine didn't even dull the pain. Lol… I know it is important to cough and walk around but I'd pay to see one of the nurses or the doctor do it after abdominal surgery! They were all very nice though! Take care and good luck!

Comment from: jackee_o, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I have had 3 hernias repaired, two of them this year - one in March, the other in June, which was emergency surgery. Now, I have another one above the one I have had fixed 3 times. I really don't want to go through the surgery again.

Comment from: Needinghelp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had to have emergency ruptured ulcer surgery in November of 2006. I went to my family doctor this past Monday. I developed a knot in my stomach about 3-4 weeks ago kind of behind the incision from my surgery. When I showed it to my doctor, he immediately felt of the knot and told me that I now have a hernia. Then he went on to tell me that the only way for it to be fixed is to have surgery done on it. And I am SCARED to death. I remember the pain I went through in 2006. It is already about the size of my fist.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am having a surgery tomorrow for a double hernia. For the past three months I have had to work part-time because of the pain. After about an hour on my feet, I can feel and see the left hernia drop, and the pain is more like a burn. Thank goodness it will be over tomorrow!

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had hernia surgery on my belly button and my gallbladder taken out at the same time 3 years ago, last year I noticed the right side of my belly button was sticking out a little. I didn't really think much about it until it started getting bigger, now its huge, its mainly on the right side of my stomach, it doesn't hurt much unless I lift stuff that is heavy. I don't have insurance and the doctor wants $200.00 for the 1st office visit. The actual surgery cost $900.00. That's not the hospital, it could go as high as $20,000!

Well in October I started having pain like I had before I had my gallbladder out. Then my bowels stopped working. The only way I can have a bowel movement is by taking laxatives. I also have pain when I eat. I don't have insurance so I go to the VA. I have seen many doctors there and one told me I have a hernia. I am now seeing my sixth surgeon at the VA and he is saying the same as all the rest, it could be a hernia but as far as the constipation and pain from eating it is not related. I am getting so frustrated with all this. I know my body and all this started at the same time. The main problem I am having is all the tests are coming back normal. I had that problem with my gallbladder too and I had a stone blocking my bile duct. I am now enduring shots of lidocaine and steroids to see if it helps if not they are going to finally do surgery. I just wish they would educate themselves a little more on hernias and strangulation. They say it only takes 6 hrs for dead bowel now it has been 4 months.

Comment from: Lanise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have a hernia. It pops out when coughing or laying flat on my back. It looks like a small football. I had blood work and a cat scan done. My doctor referred me to a surgeon but the surgeon wants half the money up front and I am on unemployment. The bloating and heaviness is unreal. Doctor has not given me any kind of medication.

Comment from: Kara2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had a previous hernia and hernia repair surgery, plus abdominoplasty. I have a large scar from necrotic skin on my abdomen. However, for other past four years, I am experiencing another hernia. During the past two years it is very painful and shoots up through the abdomen like a hard fist and goes up into the stomach. I've seen a few doctors, when it was smaller, but they told me to leave well enough alone. Which I did, but now I have a bowel obstruction and I'm almost positive it's from the hernia and not an adhesion. I just don't know what to do, since none of the doctors I have seen want anything to do with it. I can't leave it alone, I'm afraid it will completely obstruct the bowel.

Comment from: Robin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

When I cough I have a big lump that pops out. My stomach hurts all the time. Two years ago I was operated on for a hernia and bowl blockage. I think it has come back. It has gotten real bad the past 4 days. I take about 40 Tums a day or more.

REFERENCE:

Elnahas, A., S.H. Kim, A. Okrainec, F. Quereshy, and T.D. Jackson. "Is laparoscopic repair of incarcerated abdominal hernias safe? Analysis of short-term outcomes." Surg Endosc 30.8 August 2016: 3262-3266.