Hiatal Hernia

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sapiench, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have been having the same symptoms of chest pain, rib pain and shortness of breath (SOB), all since past 11 weeks that led to diagnosis of hiatal hernia last week. I have had COVID symptoms 11 weeks ago which triggered all of this. I tried connecting dots and figured, at least for me, it’s my diaphragm that’s hurting. If the diaphragm is weak, it causes chest pain, SOB, lower rib pain and eventually the weakness might lead to hiatal hernia/GERD/reflux. I am no doctor, but the virus affected the diaphragm somehow.

Comment from: Sonia , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a hiatal hernia and every morning my chest feels tight and sore. I have to sit up and lean forward until it eases.

Comment from: Logan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

My hiatal hernia symptoms started 2 weeks ago, and it has been miserable. I was getting ready to lie down and all of a sudden I started feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was told I was having anxiety. I have been to the ER and my primary care physician 10 time since then. My symptoms are bloating, uncomfortable feeling right under my left pectoral, difficulty swallowing, and pain in my sternum along with high blood pressure. I am told I’m having anxiety with them knowing this lasts all day for weeks straight.

Comment from: Harmonious, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have exactly the same hiatal hernia symptoms as another person who has commented here. I get a twinge under my right ribs a few seconds after swallowing food and drink. I have discomfort under my right ribs which goes through to my back and side, and under shoulder blade. Sometimes my back starts to hurt when I move. I haven't had endoscopy yet (I am 76).

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am struck by all the similarities amongst everyone's hiatal hernia symptoms. I experience difficulty in breathing, filling my lungs with air, palpitations throughout my esophagus and chest, sweating, chills, headache and dizziness after eating, a heavy fullness throughout my chest, hiccups and burping, radiating pain throughout my arms, neck and leg weakness. I feel full even when hungry. I have bloating which makes breathing difficult, and high blood pressure. Symptoms trigger panic, exacerbating all symptoms.

Comment from: Julie , 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 09

I have tightness in my chest, I think from hiatal hernia. Also discomfort in my left shoulder, not always, but these symptoms just now. I started to feel dizzy from yesterday. But I am not sure if that's my ears. Like a heaviness when doing things like bending. And so tired.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have hiatal hernia and GERD. This has caused chronic sore throat, belching, pain between shoulder blades and fatigue. Being isolated makes the situation feel worse. The doctor has increased medication and pain killer to help with the sore throat whilst dealing with the acid reflux. Anyone experiencing same, you are not alone.

Comment from: Janboo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My daughter has moderate learning difficulties, and she was diagnosed with hiatal hernia. She was on antibiotics for water infection, which caused her to feel sick. Since finishing the course she can’t keep anything down, though eating things that are light. There is blood in sample, pain in chest, and she is getting treated for yeast infection also. I was that desperate I went to a homeopath but that hasn’t helped either. My daughter is 33.

Comment from: Angie , 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My hernia symptoms are upper back pains, sternum pains, severe epigastric pain, pressure on the chest, dizziness and discomfort in the chest.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 13 years ago. I used to have a chronic cough, burping after a cup of tea in the morning, mucus clearing, sweaty feet and palms, and sharp pain behind my left rib at the front. A classic was, my right shoulder blade would protrude, and I had pain in the shoulder and upper arm. I had a slight ache and pain in my upper back on both sides after eating. Also difficulty breathing. I take lansoprazole 30 mg and cut out fatty or acidic food and drink. I am fine if I stick to a good diet.

SLIDESHOW

Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Merton, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I believe I had my hiatal hernia for about 15 years. It first showed up as a “large one” on a routine x-ray 10 years ago. I had some acid reflux over the next few years that was manageable and pretty much went away. But about 4 months ago I experienced waking up at night with shortness of breath and very high blood pressure (e.g. 185/120). My fluoroscopy exam showed my stomach superimposed over my heart! After surgery 6 weeks ago I am doing great. High blood pressure is gone and I am sleeping well.

Comment from: Nanacleto60 , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have had a hiatal hernia for years. When it flares up as has been for the last few months I have burning in my chest, back pain and shoulder pain. Regurgitation and then sore throat from burping and all the gas. Did not realize so many others had the same symptoms. It makes me feel better to know I’m not alone.

Comment from: Joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I haven't had endoscopy yet but suspect hiatal hernia. Acid reflux, discomfort under my right ribs that goes through to the back. Food and drink hurt slightly a few seconds after swallowing. Really worried. Wrong time just now to be ill. Wonder if anyone else has these symptoms.

Comment from: Deedy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (HH) 18 months ago after feeling sick and not being able to eat much. I suffered from acid reflux on Nexium. Recently I have been rushed to the hospital emergency with heart attack symptoms. I told the hospital/doctor that I feel it is my HH playing up. At the hospital they gave me every conceivable test possible but no further checks on my stomach. Only 3 days ago I felt like I was having a heart attack and called the ambulance. I have sore throat and hoarse voice constantly.

Comment from: Ash, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My hiatal hernia symptoms started off with acid reflux, moved on to pain between shoulders and then extreme pain in my left arm, neck and pain radiating to my middle chest where the sternum is. Endoscopy was done today which revealed a 2 cm sliding hernia and active Helicobacter pylori in the body, due to which there is inflammation in the intestines. Really don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Nòna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been diagnosed with a combination hernia and it is covering my left ventricle. I have a great deal trying to swallow and feel as if I’m being choked. I see my gastro-surgical team on 16/3. I also suffer from CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome), so any surgery has to be approached with caution.

Comment from: Jobo , 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 27

I was admitted to the hospital after phoning an ambulance because of severe pain in my abdomen. I have previously been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. In hospital I had my 2nd camera test, the 1st being done at my health center. The doctor who carried out the latest camera procedure said a hiatal hernia does not cause pain. He found no ulcers or anything else apart from my hernia. So now do I have to live with this pain!

Comment from: Sharuthen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

When my hiatal hernia (HH) flares, I am short of breath, belching, have pain between my shoulder blades, and feel like I have eaten a huge meal. Mine developed from throwing up as a result of migraines since I was 11. With some migraines I would throw up for 3 to 5 days in a row, hourly. Funny thing is sometimes throwing up is the only relief for my HH attacks. I am on pantoprazole 40 mg daily but with a flare I take Nexium too. I watch my diet; no soda, no spicy foods, no raw vegetables.

Comment from: Lola , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

My hiatal hernia symptoms are severe chest and sternum pain, upper back pain, can’t swallow, and constant nausea. When I’m sick it gets stuck and my stomach hurts like it’s being twisted and squeezed.

Comment from: Claire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I started having bad heartburn and what I was told nocturnal panic attacks, because I felt like I was having a heart attack. I had an endoscopy done and it revealed 4 cm hiatal hernia and esophagitis and they decided to try me on different medicines. I tried them all, things got worse and I was sent for another endoscopy which revealed my hiatal hernia had gone from 4 cm to 7 cm in just 6 months’ time. I also was back and forth from the hospital because it felt like couldn't breathe. They have done a CT scan and there is infection.

QUESTION

What is a hernia? See Answer
Comment from: Samantha13, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been dealing with a hiatal hernia for almost a year. At first it was just acid reflux and I was put on Protonix and it seemed to work short term, then I was having chest pain and shortness of breath. I went to the emergency department about 7 times just to be told it’s GERD and I am just having a panic attack, I am fine. I now have trouble swallowing and it feels like there is something in my throat choking me. This is unbearable, and unlivable with. I have an EGD appointment in a month. I hate waiting to know what’s wrong.

Comment from: jenzack04, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was told I had a baseball size hiatal hernia in about 2007. Never had too much trouble with it. No pain. The last few years I had trouble with painful swallowing. Food would get stuck so last year he stretched my esophagus. Ever since I have heart attack type pain and it feels like I am being crushed to death. It hurts in my back too. Mostly in my right shoulder. Took me a whole year to get them to go down and look again recently. When I woke up he said looking at the floor I have to have surgery.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have had a hiatal hernia for several years. Three weeks ago I had symptoms of a heart attack: pain in my left arm, neck, into the chest area. The emergency room doctor did a CT scan that showed my stomach was entirely above my diaphragm. A barium swallow test and endoscopy showed a volvulus (twisted) stomach. Although rare, it can be serious. I will have surgery. Make sure you get a barium swallow test as well as an endoscopy to see the entire picture of your hernia!

Comment from: HadEnough42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 42, had been suffering with really bad heartburn for years, and was just given Laprazole. Then after having pains right under my breasts like a bra being too tight, I had an appointment with a consultant. I had an endoscopy and it revealed grade 4 hiatal hernia and esophagitis, and was given omeprazole and told to take for a month. The last 6 months I've thought I had been having a heart attack, went to the Accident and Emergency and called ambulances. I have to have another endoscopy and acid test then.

Comment from: Lorrie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have bloating and with my stomach hiatal hernia it feels like I ate a big meal. Then I start having problems with GERD. I don't dare lie down without propping up or the acid starts burning in my throat and stomach. I feel like I'm 6 or 7 months pregnant. I take medication for it.

Comment from: Powerocker78, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I get dizziness after eating. I have a small hiatal hernia with esophagitis and diverticulosis thrown in. I am learning how to use intermittent fasting with periodic 2 to 3 day fasting to give my gut more chances to heal. When I cut way down on alcohol and soda (gluten free as well), I do quite well.

Comment from: SB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have hiatal hernia that I got to know recently. I had gastric problems for the last 2 months but symptoms became worse suddenly one day. I was having constant burping, constipation and was feeling nauseous all the time. I had shivering attacks also which increased my heart rate. I was taken to the emergency room where all the tests were negative. Finally I had an endoscopy and got to know I have hiatal hernia. I'm taking medicine and the symptoms are almost gone but I still feel weakness in my legs.

Comment from: Div, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a baby on May 1st, 2018. After 20 days I started having pain while swallowing, and my upper back was paining too much. Within 15 minutes after eating, the pain will go away. Till now I'm facing the same problem, and nowadays my throat is irritating me. I am getting little pain in heart sometimes. I am worrying about this too much. Wondering if the reason for this is a hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Lendogg714 , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia. I can pretty much handle all the symptoms except for the bloating... I can’t stand it. I am suffering every day; even when I don’t eat anything I’m bloated. It pretty much ended all the fun things I used to do. I am miserable all the time, can’t eat anything I like, can’t drink with the boys. This is awful and this also gives me anxiety.

Comment from: Jenn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

Nonstop pain is my symptom, never goes away, and you can actually feel the hiatal hernia growing to the touch.

Comment from: AnneC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I get an awful pain when lying on my right side, under my shoulder blade and across my chest. They tell me it’s not my heart, but possibly the moderate hiatal hernia they found.

Comment from: Susme70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I sympathize with all. I have a large hiatal hernia (HH), and had a heart attack in the middle of a full blown HH attack. They had to rely on blood work to realize it. I also have a gallbladder full of stones. Had to wait for surgery for 6 months, and still waiting. I can almost deal with the pain in shoulder blade, the nausea, the reflux (30 plus years), sleeping upright, palpitations, the low iron (dizzy, and partly numb swollen feet), but the shortness of breath is too much. I learned, left is HH, right is gallbladder.

Comment from: KAV , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

For me hiatal hernia symptoms have been anxiety, shortness of breath, palpitations, high blood pressure, tension, back and shoulder pain, tightness in chest, dysphasia, regurgitation, exercise intolerance, low pain threshold, irritability and some nausea.

Comment from: Kerryann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I have very bad chest pain from my hiatal hernia. It feels like something sitting on my chest all the time and I have to take painkillers for the pain and suffering with it all the time. I have had a hernia in my chest since I was 14 years old, but it was small back then and now it's a large hiatal hernia. I would like to have surgery on it. I have so many problems with it, I am vomiting all the time and I have trouble going to the toilet and passing wind. I don't stop vomiting. I lost heaps of weight just by vomiting all the time, I lost 20 kg.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have been suffering with a hiatal hernia. The burning is so bad. I have retching but no vomiting. I cough if I try to eat anything. I have been getting more and more depressed and anxious and have never felt that way before. I have really bad leg and back pain, and I've lost 25 lb. in 6 weeks due to not being able to eat.

Comment from: Becka , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I was diagnosed with a large sliding hiatal hernia 5 years ago and esophagitis. Late this year I've started getting different symptoms besides breathlessness; tight squeezing sensation, early satiety, bloating, unexplained weight loss, and high platelets. I can't eat out anymore or I suffer excruciating stomach and chest pain at night, and then I can't lie down to sleep. Even Gaviscon Advance stopped working. I'm on daily omeprazole which prevents any heartburn. I'm awaiting further investigation.

Comment from: Lendogg714 , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I’ve been reading some of these comments and it’s relieving to know I am not the only one suffering. I have a hiatal hernia and it’s driving me insane… jaw aches, dull pain in my chest and back, anxiety, spasms everywhere, constipation and loss of appetite, and a handful of other very weird symptoms. I have a gastroenterologist appointment soon. I’m hoping things will get better. I literally cannot take this.

Comment from: Tired of Pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I’m told you can’t have constant pain from GERD and a moderate hiatal hernia. I have burning pain constantly. It’s in my throat, chest, back, arms and jaw. Moving, bending, belching, walking and climbing stairs, irritate it. I have a dry cough almost all the time. I eat very little because I’m afraid I’ll irritate it. I have been to the emergency room repeatedly thinking it’s my heart but they’ve found nothing. Scared they missed something and I’m dying of a heart issue.

Comment from: Matt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

Mild to severe discomfort and cramping are my hiatal hernia symptoms. I also get a pain in my left shoulder, terrible gas buildup and belching lots. It gets to a point that I vomit and then it goes away. Certain foods trigger it. The only common denominator was yogurt, a fair amount seems to really do it. I haven't had it for a while now. Also, overeating or eating lots too quickly will cause it. I'm lactose intolerant, have irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis and Barrett’s esophagus.

Comment from: Beckie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have squeezing aching pain which is sometimes stinging all around my stomach and sternum. I have a large hiatal hernia. I'm very bloated with breathlessness after eating or drinking. It is not easy to burp. I have to try and make myself sick which is difficult too. Lying down in bed at night can be a problem as I feel too out of breath. I am on esomeprazole for 4 weeks as endoscopy showed damage with oozing. Don't know how I can feel better.

Comment from: Joo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I always feel heaviness or tightness in my chest and also pain from hiatal hernia. I thought I was having a heart attack. It makes me depressed all the time.

Comment from: Dtr, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

Mom had chest, back and arm pain. Her enzymes were climbing and blood pressure and sugars were high. Everything indicated a heart attack. After several tests the diagnosis is a large hiatal hernia pressing against her heart. I don’t know what we can do. She is 79.

Comment from: Wkd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have a hiatal hernia and I also have COPD. I am quite breathless and my stomach swells a lot, and I also have quite a lot of palpitations.

Comment from: dmh1031, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had my hiatal hernia operated on three times. I was told I need a fourth surgery. I have been vomiting for the last eight days straight. I cannot eat more than an ounce at time and I am still not able to keep it down. This has drastically affected my life.

Comment from: Cindy , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

My hiatal hernia symptom is pain with eating, and even drinking water hurts badly.

Comment from: 1234, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I started burping a lot when I was 16, almost 17, and it continued, but I didn’t think much of it. Then the acid reflux and heartburn got super bad and I decided I have GERD. I got diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia a year ago and the doctor said crunches would help it, and pretty sure that made it worse. I am now 19 and I am scared to eat because of the bloating, nausea, chest pain, burping and reflux. I am also now short of breath and in constant pain.

Comment from: David, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I get a sharp pain under my left rib cage front and back because of hiatal hernia. I also have trouble with food peristalsis i.e., clogging, it can be very painful and only clears with carbonated beverage to plunge it down.

Comment from: Powerocker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 03

I'm a 59-year-old and I've had a hiatal hernia for over a dozen years. If I lift weights or do something that's strenuous that irritates it and I will have all kinds of symptoms from chills to diarrhea to breathing issues, you name it. Putting heat on it, your hand or heating pad, helps it. The breathing issues are freaky.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My hiatal hernia symptom is a dull ache that radiates to the side and to my back.

Comment from: Steven, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I was told I have a hiatal hernia, in February of 2018. When I visit my general physician, he or she thinks my being sick after food is GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). They insist that it's acid reflux but I control the hot bile with medication, omeprazole. It's not that which makes me sick. It's certain foods and I have to eat in small quantities. Whenever I research GERD symptoms, they talk about acid reflux, but this is not what makes me sick. I have to throw up all the contents of what I've eaten! So, I control it myself.

Comment from: Ls, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia 2 years ago. In January this year I started to experience chest pain that radiates to the back, and arm with pressure. I'm concerned that this is more cardiac pain. But I have been told by medical professionals that it's not related. Wonder if anyone else has experienced these symptoms with hernia. Thank you for the comments.

Comment from: Pol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My symptoms of hiatal hernia are lots of pain in the top of my chest and the middle of my stomach, and burping.

Comment from: Aya, 19-24 (Patient) Published: September 25

Well, when my symptoms started with something like heart attack chest pain, ECG was done and it was normal. My first gastroscopy the doctor who did it forgot to do a movement called retroflexion (this movement is used by endoscopy to diagnose the hiatal hernia). After 11 months of pain and diet I did another gastroscopy and hiatal hernia was the diagnosis. My other symptoms are stomach pain when I press over it (wonder if anyone else had this symptom), GERD, cough, and breathing difficulty.

Comment from: KOH 82, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 25

One-third of my stomach is in my chest. This was diagnosed by endoscopy. I was told it was caused by my hiatal hernia. Once in while I get a stabbing pain just under my breastbone and into the center of my back. It is often relieved by a few sips of water.

Comment from: Hobbs , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia in 2015. I've been pretty lucky, not overwhelming pain and if I'm careful of my diet I do pretty well. My problem seems to be with a fluttery feeling in my stomach and chest and then I get very lightheaded, like I could faint. I'm assuming this is a buildup of gas. Wonder if anyone else experienced this.

Comment from: Jane , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I also have had two surgeries for my hiatal hernia... the last one was in January. For the last couple of months I get bloated, my arm goes numb, and I feel like I have to throw up and can't. I really hope that my surgery didn't come apart again. I can take a couple bites for my food and feel it get stuck in my throat.

Comment from: J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have a hiatal hernia and I feel like I'm getting worse. I feel like I choke when I eat, my stomach is in pain, my lower back, stomach, and esophagus cramp, and I feel like I want to throw up when I eat. I'm tired, my bones hurt, and I feel like my body is giving up. I'm scared.

Comment from: Bob1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I've had a sliding hiatal hernia for ten years. Doctors have no idea how to help with the pain and suffering. Strange how doctors can't work out what is the exact source that my pain comes from. For really bad attacks, a 5-day course of prednisolone (steroid) is a big help and literally stops all pain but is only good for another few days after the last tablet is taken, and it cannot be taken often over a longer term. A cold soft drink can, pressed on the bloated painful area also helps in severe cases.

Comment from: ITinCLE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I lost 2 jobs because my symptoms hiatal hernia (HH) immobilize me. Speaking and eating is hard. I've been to the emergency room 8 times in the last 6 months with shortness of breath, ear pain, violent shaking, and of course they tell me it is anxiety, or accuse me of drugs! My gastrointestinal doctor can’t figure it out either, and medicines and diet don’t help. Well, I am taking control, looked at my records and found out the 3 cm hiatal hernia on endoscopy I had 2 years ago was never addressed! I demanded a consult with a top HH surgeon in city. Be your own advocate!

Comment from: Madi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

My hiatal hernia symptoms are chronic GERD, nausea, pain when the shower water hits the area. I also have a general feeling of being unwell.

Comment from: Tina, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 04

My husband started having heartburn in 1993, and given Prilosec. Then he had sleep apnea and was given CPAP. Then hypertension, and was given pills. Insomnia, chronic shoulder pain, more pills, shortness of breath and given inhalers. Finally someone took time to look to see he had a hiatal hernia pressing into his lungs, heart, esophagus, and aorta. He had a robotic surgery 2 weeks ago and has regained so much quality of life back in 2019; 26 years of misery. Thank you da Vinci robot.

Comment from: Julie c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I get awful nausea, pain, sweating, bloating, chest pain, and neck pain. Symptoms last for hours and I get no sympathy from work who don't understand my condition at all. It is actually quite depressing as people think it is just heartburn and can't understand why in the mornings I am late to work if I am symptomatic as I feel so unwell. It is affecting my sleep and lifestyle. Eating food is a risk, alcohol is a guarantee for disaster, and I look pregnant most of the time.

Comment from: Candi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia back in 2005. I was told just to take antacid for heartburn, etc. Soon after, I started getting pain starting in the front and moving slowly to the middle back. It was excruciating! I went to the emergency room and they insisted I had gallstones or kidney stones (even though none were seen on the scan). They said I must have passed them. I asked if it could be the hiatal hernia and was treated as crazy. I still get the pain on and off and I swear it feels like a heart attack.

Comment from: Learn to Control It , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had a hiatal hernia (HH) for I don’t know how long. I didn't even know about it until I mentioned the symptoms to my chiropractor. He immediately said HH. He then adjusted it and suggested that for future issues, I should drink plenty of water, completely satiate, and then simply stand up and spring up and down onto my toes. This will allow gravity to (possibly) pull the herniated area back into position. It does work, sometimes, just don't rely on this technique if on a poor diet. Nothing works! Hope this helps.

Comment from: moh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had a hiatal hernia 7 years back. My pain is so bad now, chest, neck, arm, back, pains all the time. When I don’t eat I burp, when I eat I burp, it is madness. I so want to do the operation.

Comment from: Alicia, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My hiatal hernia was caused during pregnancy or birth of my daughter now 40. I am 72. It always feels like a heart attack. I even have pain in left arm. I have severe heartburn; I do not bend over. On Monday past I fell over a large bucket filled with water, onto my face and upper body. And I have permanent belching, pain when breathing, and heavy pain in the middle back. I am my husband's only caregiver. He has end stage congestive heart failure. My children are overseas. I also have heavy pain across the chest area. Hoping it disappears.

Comment from: Gerger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was wondering if anyone else has a hiatal hernia without indigestion or heartburn. My general physician tells me it's a hiatal hernia and has referred me to a gastroenterologist. The pain I get after eating too much or too quickly is horrendous where I have to make myself vomit to help relieve the pain. The pain usually goes on for an hour or two, wonder if this sounds like a hiatal hernia, everyone else seems to have bad indigestion and heartburn with theirs.

Comment from: Pamela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

My symptom is severe pain under my right ribs. I have a hiatal hernia.

Comment from: mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have Crohn's, GERD, and have recently been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia. I am not be able to eat anything at all. I have shortness of breath, belching, and what feels like gas build up in the right side of my chest. I have lost close to 30 lb. in the last month and a half. Prilosec isn't working, Zantac is useless and I can't consume anything but small sips of water.

Comment from: Pkg14, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My father has a hiatal hernia. He is 86, and the doctor says he is too old to get the hernia fixed. He is coughing all the time he almost chokes. He is coughing up stuff also. Wonder if these are symptoms of the hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Uncomfortable , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia (HH) last week 7/25, on my 34th birthday. I’m so uncomfortable. I had been to the emergency room (ER) twice and the walk-in care twice. The 3rd time, on 7/25, they called in a gastrointestinal team and scoped me in the ER. I thought I had food stuck in my chest. When I woke up I was told I have a HH. This is the worst thing that has happened to me, I can’t eat or sleep lying down.

Comment from: Coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been suffering 6 years with hiatal hernia pain in my chest and arms, and nothing helps. Waiting to hear if I've to have surgery. I can't cope.

Comment from: Franko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia nine years ago by use of barium swallow. Symptoms are frequent bitter taste in mouth and post nasal drip from acidic contents of stomach entering mouth/nasal area. Moderate amount of acid indigestion somewhat controlled by use of anti-acids. I tried several proton pump inhibitors with little effect. Hope to find something effective besides surgery.

Comment from: JKS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have an ache in my right side, and many doctors have mistaken it for gall bladder issues but tests show it isn't. The pain can go around my back and into my shoulder blades. I also get an ache in my sternum area that is alleviated if I put a heating pad on it. My hiatal hernia was discovered after I complained to the doctor about not being able to swallow food properly; it feels like it's stuck. No late night eating, nothing carbonated, acidic or spicy. Although even when I'm careful it can still flare up. I take pantoprazole.

Comment from: Redokie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I too had a hiatal hernia for approximately 8 years. I was put on medication, and the last medication they gave me was Protonix. Just like everything else it seemed to work for a while and then all the pain, coughing, regurgitating, swallowing problems, and throwing up phlegm started all over again. I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I couldn't swallow any liquids without pain. It's been 6 weeks now and for the past two I have been carrying a fever, nothing over 102 F. Yes, the doctors can't find a thing wrong.

Comment from: Me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a hiatal hernia, had it for 20 years. Lately I am short of breath. I am sore between my breasts, lumpy, and like bruised. I have low to no iron levels. I had one infusion and am no different. I am tired, bloated and constipated. I am seeing a gastroenterologist in 2 weeks. Wonder if anyone else has these issues.

Comment from: Mar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I'm so sick with hiatal hernia and depressed. I can’t even get myself to be normal, it's awful. I have that medication omeprazole. I'm depressed.

Comment from: Lsolares, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 19

Wonder if anyone has severe vomiting and retching and gagging from a hiatal hernia. I get this every 2 to 3 months and am pretty much incapacitated for 2 to 3 days.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I'm getting pains in my waist and the left side of my back. I wonder if anyone else with hiatal hernia is getting this. Plus my stomach is so bloated.

Comment from: PowerOn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

Well, I had to add my symptoms here as it might help any others who have a hiatal hernia. I had mine for 6 years and mine constantly moves or gets stuck up in my chest. I can feel it when it moves, I can feel trapped air/gas bubble like a roller coaster ride; takes your breath away and startles you like there are heart problems. I have been checked out by a heart doctor. The gastrointestinal doctor says nothing you can do but surgery, but says since I have a physical job it would likely recur and I would just have to keep having to repeat doing this over.

Comment from: Davis Patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was having near constant nausea (worst in the morning) and no appetite. This has been happening for a few years. I was forcing myself to eat. I finally had an endoscopy and found out I have a hiatal hernia. I began taking Prilosec daily and am no longer having symptoms. I would recommend trying Prilosec daily if you are having problems to see if it helps.

Comment from: Rena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia. It only really bothered me in the past when in stress. Now recently every time I lie down I get pounding heart rates. I wonder if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I sometimes have this feeling that I am hungry, yet I also feel too full to eat! It is accompanied by burping, stomach pain, bloating, and gas. I don't have the hiatal hernia symptoms happen too often anymore though, thankfully, since I made some dietary changes. I now stop eating about two hours before going to bed, and avoid caffeine after 2:00 in the afternoon. I also started eating mostly unprocessed, organic foods and cut down on carbohydrates. Plus I eat very little sugar.

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have been diagnosed with a 3 cm hiatal hernia. The symptoms have been horrendous with constant acid reflux, chest tightness and pain, difficulty breathing, and bloating. No medication has worked. The last resort is an operation, will find out in 2 weeks. So many people going through those terrible symptoms, my heart goes out to you all.

Comment from: slobber mouth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a hernia removed from my esophagus and now I slobber in my sleep all night. I wake up in the middle of the night and my shirt is wet on whatever side I am sleeping on. When I awake the next morning it is wet again.

Comment from: Abrar Aaf, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I have really bad back pain and abdominal pain after eating and I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and stomach ulcer. The back pain can be temporarily relieved by placing a solid object between my back and a chair back. As I press back on the object placed just below my left shoulder blade, slight internal crackles are felt and this relieves the pressure on the back. Other than this the only option is to starve all day and then have dinner and sleep.

Comment from: R.T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been diagnosed with hiatal hernia. I was wondering if any of you experienced left arm weakness and back shoulder pain, it seems to magnify because of panic attacks.

Comment from: Lynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed last month on the 25th with a hiatal hernia, hematemesis, mild gastropathy, and gastritis. I have been vomiting for years and threw up most of my stomach lining and had to be hospitalized with ketamine and hydromorphone, along with Nexium, Dexilant, and Carafate. I have super intense abdominal pain since, about an 8 out of 10 every day. Now I’m getting about an 8 to 9 out of ten every day, pain in my chest, stomach, near my left lung, my back, and my shoulders. It feels like extreme pressure.

Comment from: Jennifer 85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia around 12 years ago. I haven't had issues until around 2 months ago. I think my symptoms are caused by my hiatal hernia, stomach pains, and a worse symptom is a choking feeling, not just when I eat, but almost nonstop. I have trouble swallowing and breathing too. I am also getting out of breath easily. Just wondering if anyone has similar symptoms.

Comment from: Carolee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia a few years ago. I get a pain in my upper back teeth on the right side and within minutes I get chest pains from the hernia. I wonder if this is common.

Comment from: CJJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had surgery to repair my hiatal hernia 6 weeks ago. I was eating soft foods (cottage cheese, ice cream, pudding) but last week I was nauseous for 3 days straight and now I've lost my appetite completely and haven't eaten in 5 days. Will I ever regain my appetite and will food ever sound appealing again!

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia 2 years ago and have been on rabeprazole for the acid in my stomach coming back up. Since I have been on the proton pump inhibitor - PPI (rabeprazole) I have been having heart issues. A lot of extra beats and pausing. It's very scary and have seen a cardiologist. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem while on rabeprazole or any other PPIs. I'm going to stop taking them and see if this helps.

Comment from: Jen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a hiatal hernia diagnosed about 10 years ago and was put on PPIs (proton pump inhibitors). I am now experiencing side effects of long term medication and want to get off this. I have read that a simple manipulation can reposition the hernia, I wonder if anyone has done this and it worked. Also I have heard that a chiropractor can do a manipulation that will help this condition - again, wondering if anyone has tried this. I understand it presses on the vasovagal nerve and the manipulations stop this.

Comment from: Hj, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had chest pains in my back directly behind the chest. The pain was not present all the time. I was very fatigued, failed my heart stress test, feeling dizzy and faint. The doctor sent me to the hospital right away because of previous symptoms. Angiogram was done, no blood clots and previous blockage 4 years ago was not larger which is good. However CT scan contrast showed hiatal hernia. I was fatigued and extremely low on magnesium. I am taking 400 mg daily and that helped. Heart doctor sent me back to the primary physician and I will go to a gastric doctor soon. No reflux or pain, mimics heart pains.

Comment from: Jools66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I am waiting for a camera as the doctor thinks I may have hiatal hernia. I have been suffering for two years with chest pain and breathlessness. I am at my wits’ end. I wonder if stabbing pain on the right side of chest, backache, neck ache are also symptoms of hiatal hernia.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I was diagnosed with a 5 cm hiatal hernia over 30 years back, a tortuous esophagus, and GERD. I have been on 40 mg Nexium all this time and also take Motilium three times a day. I have been in hospital many times from heart attack type pain but caused by my hiatal hernia. I get severe pain, feel like food got stuck, vomiting, and difficulty with even swallowing liquid. It hurts if you try to take a deep breath! I sleep on a wedge pillow and can still wake up choking. I get saliva coming up my throat.

Comment from: TCooks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have a hiatal hernia, and I have GERD, Barrett's esophagus, esophageal spasms, shortness of breath, pain, nausea, and vomiting, just to name a few of my symptoms. It has really had a negative impact on my life for many years.

Comment from: RobCar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have a large hiatal hernia (HH). I have been paying close attention of my posture when I sit and drive. I noticed when I stand for a long time the weird heartbeats that I get from the HH stop. I also found that taking CoQ10 and L-Arginine together help relax my heart greatly. I feel for everybody suffering from HH. I was thinking about surgery but I keep hearing bad things. The only doctor that seems to care at all about a HH is the gastrologist, it seems that regular doctors completely write it off.

Comment from: Nutty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I recently had an endoscopy as I have a large hiatal hernia. They couldn’t complete it as apparently almost all of my stomach was in my chest. I am having a bit of breathing problem especially when I walk or exercise. I am always uncomfortable but not in pain. I am hoping I get treated as a priority but having difficulty in getting referred.

Comment from: SYakoban, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I gained some weight in the last couple of months. Last week I started having chest and back pain, tingling in my left arm too. I went to the cardiologist who said my EKG was fine but to do a stress test. The result was unclear, so I had to do a nuclear stress test. The result, no arterial blockages and no heart issue. The pains were still very bothersome. Then I remembered about the weight and that years back I had a hiatal hernia.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW