High Blood Pressure (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Medication)

Please share medications for your high blood pressure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rainer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I am frustrated. My high blood pressure (BP) is being treated and I have tried numerous BP medications. Each one of them to varying degrees have caused me other problems. They range from tiredness, weakness and walking slow like an old man. But most of all each one has caused me lung issues. They affect my breathing. How can anyone be expected to take BP medications solving one issue but in turn creating another big issue! I even read that BP medication based on studies can cause lung damage. Why would I want to damage my lungs or indeed restrict my breathing!

Comment from: charlie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Although my daytime pressure is in the 137 to 147 range, after my morning 2 pills and one 5 mg pill after supper, my morning pressure is 188/125 in the morning when I awake. Now the doctor has added my 20 mg pill to my evening pill which I have decide to take at bedtime instead of supper time.

American Heart Association.

Czupryniak L, et al. Circadian blood pressure variation in morbidly obese hypertensive patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery; Am J Hypertens. 2005 Apr;18(4 Pt 1):446-51.

Dyer KL, et al. Use of myocardial performance index in pediatric patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension; J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006 Jan;19(1):21-7.

Hoeper MM, et al. Goal-oriented treatment and combination therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension; Eur Respir J. 2005 Nov;26(5):858-63.

Lipsitz LA, et al. Antihypertensive therapy increases cerebral blood flow and carotid distensibility in hypertensive elderly subjects; Hypertension. 2005 Feb;45(2):216-21. Epub 2005 Jan 17.

Pischke CR, et al. Comparison of coronary risk factors and quality of life in coronary artery disease patients with versus without diabetes mellitus; Am J Cardiol; 2006 May 1;97(9):1267-73. Epub 2006 Mar 10.

Whelton PK, et al. 2017 High Blood Pressure Clinical Practice Guideline: Executive Summary. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults. Nov 2017.
<http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/hypertensionaha/early/2017/11/10/HYP.0000000000000066.full.pdf?download=true>

NIH. Description of the DASH Eating Plan. Updated: Sep 16, 2015.
<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash>

David Baldwin, MA, DM FRCPsych. Generalized anxiety disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis. 3 April 2018. 14 November 2018 .

Denise Griswold, MSc, LCAS. How Anxiety Affects Blood Pressure. 27 October 2018. 14 November 2018 .