High Blood Pressure (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Diet, Medication)

Please describe your experience with high blood pressure. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Hbp 702, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

My blood pressure is routinely around 300 systolic. My doctor used an arterial line in my brachial artery. My pressure was 405/380! When the line was removed my blood shot across the room.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had felt strange walking around Walmart. The symptoms were tiredness and fuzzy vision. There was a health screening at my local bank and the nurse took my blood pressure. It was a little high and she said I should see my family doctor. I take two pills a day; one in the morning and the other when I get ready for bed. I was diagnosed in 2007 with high blood pressure.

Comment from: rocky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I shouldn't be alive yet here I am telling my story. I was short of breath and decided to go to the hospital. I was given a blood pressure test and the results were unbelievable, 333/197. The medical staff redid the test to see if there was a malfunction and the reading came out again as 333/197. According to all the medical staff this is a world record especially seeing that I am still able to tell my story.

Comment from: Kevs Gurl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am diagnosed with high blood pressure again. I had it in my early 40s, took medications and was ok until I passed a kidney stone. Miraculously the high BP went away. Doctor says it is not related. I say otherwise. Then last year at age 55 I was diagnosed again. I tried two different medicines, not really working. One day I will be 130/75 and the next 156/85. I work three days a week and exercise and watch my diet. What more can I do!

Comment from: Wil, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I have type 2 diabetes since 2000. My latest A1c was 7.0. I don't have high blood pressure (BP) since I could remember. However, lately I used my BP monitor at home (Intellisense) and it reads 143/95. I rest for a few minutes and take it again, it reads 181/83. I'm getting confused if I have high blood pressure. I'll see my primary care physician on May 11 (2 weeks from now). I'll mention this to him and also bring my BP machine with me so they can take a look at it (maybe calibrate it). I exercise, watch my diet, walk, do gardening, and take my metformin twice a day with meals. It worries me.

Comment from: sanddollar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I found out that I had high blood pressure in 2011. Now, I take medicine for it. Sometimes I feel tired and I get headaches, but that's it, really. Other than that, I feel great. I take my medication every day.

Comment from: Ricky, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was stunned to say the least. Mine doesn't stay regulated very well. One day it will be 120 over 80. The next day it may be 165 over 110. I've always tried to take care of myself. I was also diagnosed with depression issues and panic attacks. It seems they all tie into each other. Is that possible? When it goes up I get all scatter brained and my anxiety kicks in after a couple of up and down days. I take my meds right on time every day. I don't know what more I can do.

American Heart Association.

Czupryniak L, et al. Circadian blood pressure variation in morbidly obese hypertensive patients undergoing gastric bypass surgery; Am J Hypertens. 2005 Apr;18(4 Pt 1):446-51.

Dyer KL, et al. Use of myocardial performance index in pediatric patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension; J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2006 Jan;19(1):21-7.

Hoeper MM, et al. Goal-oriented treatment and combination therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension; Eur Respir J. 2005 Nov;26(5):858-63.

Lipsitz LA, et al. Antihypertensive therapy increases cerebral blood flow and carotid distensibility in hypertensive elderly subjects; Hypertension. 2005 Feb;45(2):216-21. Epub 2005 Jan 17.

Pischke CR, et al. Comparison of coronary risk factors and quality of life in coronary artery disease patients with versus without diabetes mellitus; Am J Cardiol; 2006 May 1;97(9):1267-73. Epub 2006 Mar 10.

Whelton PK, et al. 2017 High Blood Pressure Clinical Practice Guideline: Executive Summary. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults. Nov 2017.
<http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/hypertensionaha/early/2017/11/10/HYP.0000000000000066.full.pdf?download=true>

NIH. Description of the DASH Eating Plan. Updated: Sep 16, 2015.
<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash>

David Baldwin, MA, DM FRCPsych. Generalized anxiety disorder in adults: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis. 3 April 2018. 14 November 2018 .

Denise Griswold, MSc, LCAS. How Anxiety Affects Blood Pressure. 27 October 2018. 14 November 2018 .