High Cholesterol

What treatment has been effective for your high cholesterol? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ldl, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My grandma's cholesterol was too high at 280 and triglycerides 385. She took natural supplements for 3 months. I checked after 80 days, cholesterol is 180 and triglycerides 92, and she has become very healthy.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: July 31

Exercise, food portion control. Both have led to weight loss, improved blood pressure and lower resting heart rate.

Comment from: tiggerjd3, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

If you are taking any of these meds with statin in them and are experiencing pain and joint soreness, this could be caused by this medicine. I started taking Red Yeast Rice and have noticed a big difference without the pains I was having.

Comment from: mnretired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

Having a family history of high cholesterol, when my levels (good/bad) became abnormal, I went on Lipitor. That was 10 years ago and all levels have been very good ever since. I also exercise and semi watch my diet and have had no adverse side effects from the drug. Given that my father died at 57 and I am now 67 and going strong I am all for supplementing my cholesterol control with drugs.

Comment from: LMA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Lipitor 20mg reduced total cholesterol from around 215 to around 160 almost immediately about 10 years ago. I continue to use Lipitor and doctor has now adjusted the dose to 40mg.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: November 11

I have been struggling to identify the cause of my symptoms and when I found out I had high cholesterol, I have been searching for 'symptoms' and haven't found out what high cholesterol does. I am going through a Dr. but in the intervening two-three weeks I am also curious and frustrated that the information seems so difficult to obtain.

Lloyd-Jones DM, et al. "2016 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway on the Role of Non-Statin Therapies for LDL-Cholesterol Lowering in the Management of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease Risk." Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 68:1. July 2016

Stone NJ, et al. "2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults. A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines." Circulation 2014.