Hip Pain

Please describe your experience with hip pain. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 02

I took a really hard fall on my right side on the cement. Now I can't put weight on my leg for the horrible pain in my hip.

Comment from: HurtingToo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

My hip pain is identical to 'hurting' male 65-74. It is the left hip and mainly while resting. I cannot sleep. I have very little pain while walking or standing. It is compounded by a right ankle pain from a fracture 40 years ago that has become arthritic. It is not nice. So far only an x-ray done week ago. I need an MRI. The x-ray shows degenerative problems in hip and lower back. But a year ago x-ray showed nothing. High PCR in blood test. Flying a long flight in 3 days has me nervous. Making doctor appointments is very frustrating.

Comment from: hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My hip pain started several years ago. I had a kidney scan, obstetric exam and colon exam/procedure. Yet I only got 'nothing wrong with you' other than one doctor who said I have arthritis. The pain is getting worse. I have come to feel that the pain is in my left hip. My worst pain happens when I lie down. More pain on my left side than the right. I also have pain when sitting, I try not to ride in the car, sometimes I have to so just grit my teeth and bear the pain. I don't know why 'there is nothing wrong' and yet I have to be in pain unless I am standing. Since this began years ago, I have noticed that my hips do not feel identical. I have more bone on one side than the other.

Comment from: Umar hashim , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I started early experiencing hip pain about a year ago. I woke up one morning and I was feeling pains on my left hip and when I went to the hospital I was diagnosed with a hip joint disorder. I started taking pain pills, and up till now I am still suffering. I need help.

Comment from: Jack W, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

When I received my x-ray report 5 years ago that I had severely degenerated hips and damaged knees I decided that I didn't want to go down the painkillers or replacement hip operation (yet). My hip pain has been brought under control with my own lifestyle and fitness program. This consists of mainly using an electronic massager; applying Manuka honey cream with bee venom; a balanced healthy diet including Zija daily; regular exercise and stretching in the gym and pool; correct gait (the 'FFF - feet face forward rule). The result has been no time off work, walking my dogs daily, up to 6 hours gardening at a time and showing others what to do to help themselves. My program is now written up with lots of photos. Oh yes, finally after 40 years I have now returned to playing badminton instead of tennis as there is less lateral movement involved.

Comment from: Jim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 27

My hip pain radiates down my leg and I can’t put pressure on it or sit because it hurts.

Comment from: Docc3964, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I am a 54 year old active male. I recently felt some pain in my hip area while taking stairs, and nothing I do brings relief.

Comment from: workinjury, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have pain in my low back extending around the outside of my right hip to my groin area and near my sit down bones which seems to radiate down the outside edge of my upper thigh almost to my knee. Laying down on my back or the right side is impossible. Slight movements of the right hip or attempting to put weight on that leg creates pain. I have undergone ischial tuberosity injection, sacroiliac (SI) injection, 2 hip joint injections, epidural, and hip arthroscopy, all of which have failed to resolve the non-stop pain. Just waiting to see the next hip specialist.

Comment from: Tosin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I find it difficult to spread my legs anytime I need to do so because of hip pain. I limp while walking.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I took a hard fall on the left side of my body on cement. Although I have severe osteoporosis, I did not break my hip. It has now been six weeks since the fall. I am trying to walk to strengthen myself. Every time I walk for more than a half mile, I re-injure myself. I am unable to walk without holding onto furniture. I'm wondering if I need an MRI or if healing will just take more time.

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer
Comment from: STANNE, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I fell hard on my hip 10 days ago. It was getting better, but last night I experienced terrible pain, and a hardening around the hip that caused a burning sensation.

Comment from: pusack1937, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I got hip pain after I had surgery on my back 3 months later. I’ve been going to the doctor for 2 years now and my doctor said he's never seen had a patient with the swelling that I have. He gave me a shot in both hips and it was terrible. I got terrible cramps in both legs and I pained for a week or more. My doctor told me to never get any more shots because I suffer more after I get a shot. No one can seem to help me.

Comment from: Nurjlh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am having new onset hip pain as well as middle back pain, occasional shortness of breath and bad cramps on and off, with occasional abdominal pain. I'm so afraid I have lymphoma or leukemia. Maybe I’m just paranoid and thinking too much.

Comment from: Dulce Cavalcanti, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

If I'm sitting and I have to stand up to walk, I have a huge pain in my left hip. I have to stand slowly and wait like the bone and the tissue get into the right place, then i can walk and the pain is over. This is terrible because I’m a runner and generally a very active person.

Comment from: jill23, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have pain in the hip area. I also have pain walking, like someone is stabbing the groin area on one side. When I lie on that side, it creates pain. It doesn't help to put a pillow between my thighs while sleeping. It doesn't hurt standing, just sitting and lying down or walking. I had a MRI on my hip and there was no arthritis. There was a little wear at the bottom of the pelvis bone. I like to bike ride but am having a hard time walking on the treadmill. My hip does click sometimes.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been in chronic/constant pain for over 18 years. I have had no definite diagnosis yet. I am 39 years old and it has gotten worse over the past several months. The pain is dull, aching, and throbbing all around my right hip. It affects my lower back and right leg also. Hydrocodone doesn't help much, and doctors won’t even give me that because they need "proof" that I have a problem.

Comment from: tracey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have suffered from hip pain for over 20 years and have not had a diagnosis. It was thought to be bursitis for a long time, treated with steroid injections that did help for a short time. I have one leg that is slightly shorter than the other, so I’m not sure if this could contribute to the problem. I just want a diagnosis and treatment.

Comment from: Joanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had a pain in my left hip for about 3 months. I mainly notice it when I get into the car. In fact, I nearly scream with pain. I notice also it happens when I move my leg when in bed. If I catch it at the wrong angle the pain goes straight to my hip.

SLIDESHOW