Hip Pain

What was effective in treating your hip pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Matt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I suffered from left hip pain for a few months. I quickly realized that my pain stemmed from a lack of stretching and poor posture. I read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos. I corrected the issue at home, but it took time. Overall, a balanced diet, plenty of water, stretching and exercise were the best for me.

Comment from: wendon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have always had some arthritis pain in my hips, but tolerable pain. I used to walk 2 miles per day and my hips would hurt for maybe the first mile, then it would ease up. For the last month I can't walk for 200 feet without a severe burning pain in the front area of my hips/top of my legs. I can't even continue walking at all it hurts so badly. I just have to stand still for 1 to 2 minutes until the burning pain subsides, then walk for another 100 to 200 feet and stop again. I've had MRIs and x-rays on my hips and am told that I am not a candidate for any hip replacements.

Comment from: Craig C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have vascular necrosis in my left and right hips. The pain is unbearable and for some reason the pain in my hips gets worse after taking my morphine.

Comment from: MaryM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

My severe hip pain was due to my sacroiliac joint in the pelvis being out of place. Chiropractor, doctor, and physical therapist couldn't diagnose. Finally, a different physical therapist diagnosed me correctly, worked the area, set the joint right by pulling my leg and all was well with further stretching.

Comment from: linda419, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had pain in the joint area of my hip for several weeks that was worse when lying down on my side. Two weeks ago, I fell while walking my dog and since then the pain is almost unbearable. It is very difficult to walk. It hurts to bring the leg forward or stand, but it no longer bothers me while lying down. I have been diagnosed with mild osteoarthritis, with ten-degree degeneration in this hip in two year’s time.

Comment from: Dingo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I am 88 years of age and suddenly about a week ago I developed extreme pain in my right hip. I regularly use a rowing machine and a stationary bicycle for exercise. I stayed away from this activity for a while and tried several pain killers including Tylenol and other Tylenol products for pain in the joints and muscles. I finally found one that really worked. It was Advil Muscle and Joint. It only took one tablet to alleviate the pain considerably. I took a second one about four hours later. Now I am taking just one per day and my hip appears to be really improving and the majority of the pain has gone. I am hoping it stays this way. It may be useful information for others having a similar problem to try the above.

Comment from: mottleycru, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am a nurse and push and pull very large patients around in the bed. Injured my left hip and after limping for two years had an MRI to find that I had a torn labrum. Had arthroscopic hip surgery and had it repaired as orthopedic surgeon said nothing else would stop pain. My left hip is great now pain-free. Unfortunately, now I have torn my right labrum and am having trouble walking again. I have gained 30 pounds between tearing both hip cartilages.

Comment from: jim, 65-74 Male Published: June 10

Hip pain was getting worse. My left hip would feel very sore after golf, but I found it also was sore after not playing for week an half. I put 1/4 " in sole in right shoe to balance me. I’m 71 years old. It took one month for pain to leave completely. Now I have no pain when I golf and walk!

Comment from: pontius1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My pain started in my left hip, and as our granddaughter/daughter at 10 months was always riding on my left hip (not walking yet) I blamed it on Gramma bursitis or something. Finally saw an orthopedic doc and on x-ray later he told me I had osteonecrosis of both hips and needed total hip replacements on both sides at age 52. Osteonecrosis can be caused by steroid or alcohol abuse, neither of which applied to me. He basically accused me of being a steroid abuser or an alcoholic. What he failed to mention is that about 1/3 of osteonecrosis patients have no underlying risk factors and are considered to be idiopathic in origin. I had both hips replaced by another experienced surgeon. That was in Nov. - Dec 07 and I still have serious bilateral hip pain and now work with pain management. My pain is related to several auto immune problems I have as well. I have tried injections, lots of physical therapy, and acupuncture. I am now taking Kadian 60 mg., a long acting form of morphine, one capsule every 12 hours. It gives me moderate relief and allows me to get on with my life with no side effects. I will probably be on it indefinitely.

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer
Comment from: Matt, 55-64 Male Published: August 23

I sometimes have pain in one or both hips for three or four days. It took a longtime to determine the reason. Doctors said it was bursitis. It turned out to be caused mostly by eating peanuts. Nutmeg and sometimes some beers, champagne or wine will cause the pain. I can eat other nuts without having pain. My family doctor says the tissue on the end of the bone or something like that becomes inflamed. It sure hurts but so far the pain always goes away in a few days.

SLIDESHOW