Hip Pain

What was the cause of your hip pain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gl5642, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I was recently diagnosed with avascular necrosis (AVS) in my right hip. Sitting for more than 20 minutes would cause a sharp stabbing hip pain, and also no strength. First I thought maybe I sleep wrong, or just sprained a muscle. AVS is the death of bone tissue due to lack of blood supply. Also called osteonecrosis, it can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse. I took off work before my hip replacement. I’m only 39, so it was a big shock to me.

Comment from: dee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have had a horrible pain for over 4 years in my left hip. I went horseback riding, it felt like something tore, I couldn't sit down on the horse nor could I lift my leg to get off. The pain is now very bad from my groin, my hip, down my leg, and my toes seem to be getting numb at times. My doctor says it is from my back, my physiotherapist says from my hip. I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer. So I am wondering what the issue is know something has got to be done, it’s no sleep at all. I am also caregiver for 2 disabled individuals.

Comment from: golfer-63, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a very keen golfer and play regularly. My coach was trying to get me to turn more on the follow through, and this involves greater hip rotation than my previous swing. I was enjoying the new movement and greater power but after practice my hip joint felt 'stretched' and slightly painful. It felt as though a ligament or muscle has been damaged. I went to my local hip specialist and he did an MRI and concluded that the pain was from early stages of arthritis in the labrum area. I was not convinced because the hip is only painful with certain movements, and often has no pain at all for several days. It seems more like soft tissue inflammation to me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I haven't been diagnosed yet but am pretty sure my hip pain is caused by osteoarthritis. I've had gout off and on since I was 21, and I'm 65 now. It hurts when I lay in bed on my right side, when I sit, and less standing. The pain just started this year.

Comment from: Emmanuel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I am recovering from a right femur surgery but started experiencing sharp hip pain and difficulty in standing erect. It may take about 3 minutes before l can move properly with my crutches again. I noticed that when stand up from a tummy lying position the pain doesn’t seem to be that severe. I don’t know what’s causing the pain.

Comment from: Sayma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I have pain in my left pelvic and thigh joint. Whenever I do long travel or do hard work at home or pick up any heavy thing, then I face extreme pain in my left joint. Then I can't walk straight and it is difficult to stand when I sit and difficult to sit when I lie on bed. At regular intervals I have been suffering from this problem since 2015.

Comment from: Laura May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have a throbbing pain on my right upper thigh, near the joint with my hip. Sometimes it is there and sometimes not; but when it is, it is very painful.

Comment from: lol crosby, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

A dull ache started about a week ago on the left side of my hip. It went away two days later then came back this morning with terrible pain and I am struggling to bend and walk.

Comment from: Levy Vega, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I just stood up and almost fell over because my entire left leg gave out and I had a lot of pain on my left hip. I had to stay off of it for about 30 minutes before getting to the ground and trying to stretch it out before attempting to stand on it again. I am currently limping and wondering why it is hurting so badly.

Comment from: luckyshaner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been a CNA Home Health Aide 42 years. The wear and tear over the years in doing my job has contributed to the cause of my hip problem. I am up at night with pain that radiates down my leg.

Comment from: Hannah Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My hip pain originates from an injury sustained when I was taking my very energetic dog walking through sand dunes. He unintentionally ran into the back of me, hitting my knee. It somehow jerked my pelvis. I thought first of all that my pelvis was twisted, however, during the past 10 days the pain has moved into the hip area. The pain is now located in the lower left hand side of the butt near the top of left leg.

QUESTION

The term arthritis refers to stiffness in the joints. See Answer
Comment from: Female Published: February 14

I fell over a piece of low furniture and my right leg came across and up the left hand side of my body when I heard my right ball joint click. I now find it painful to walk normally and I think it is now causing me to walk over heavily on the outside of my left foot. I am sure the injury is causing my right top leg to push in against my left leg which is causing me to walk over on the left foot and I can feel the outside left foot is very sore now.

Comment from: Artmist, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Car accident. The impact cause a herniated disk and narrowing space in my hip joint which has caused arthritis.

I was in town when the pain hit me in the hip. I was sitting in my car. I had to get out of my car when the pain hit me. When I got home the pain got worse. I could not walk or sit. When I went to bed I had to sleep on my back. When I got up the next day there was no more pain I was sore now for two days in my back, hip and my left leg.

Comment from: wswjpw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have fibromyalgia and for the past 6 months or so, I awake with severe pain in my left hip that radiates to the knee. I sleep mostly on my left side and I awake in pain. It takes about an hour for the narcotic pain killers to kick in. By the way, the pain killers are for the nerve damage caused by thoracic outlet syndrome.

Comment from: cw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was digging flower beds in the back yard.

Comment from: Nana T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I lifted a box that was too heavy, now I have extreme pain in my front left hip/abdomen area which is now getting worse and is causing me to limp.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: March 19

Dog jumped on me and I fell in street hurting my middle back and both hips. Now I have chronic pain.

Comment from: ms. jones, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

My hip pain was caused when I was at work and tripped over a stool.

Comment from: ctd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 55 years old and have worked very physical work all of my life. I am experiencing a tingling, burning sensation in my outer right hip area. This has gone on for several months. There have been times when I felt like something was there that didn't belong there, like an obstruction. I am uninsured so it makes it difficult to get medical attention. It is not affordable to me.

Comment from: Violina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

We had a really great snowfall (rare in our area) and I was out cross-country skiing every other day for an hour or more. (I'm 60.)The pain in both hips began during that and it is difficult to walk up stairs. Had done a fair amount of side stepping up hills and think I strained them. Snow is melting and I'm taking a rest as advised by these articles and also on ibuprofen. We'll see how it goes.

Comment from: mfragale, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My boyfriend has been suffering from hip pain for two years. I have told him to get it checked out but he won't listen. I am in the medical field and I work in a doctor's office. He complains of his hip feeling like a sprain and there is a catch in his hip. He is an active person meaning he goes to the gym and hikes and bikes on the weekend. He has tried over the counter medications with rest, ice and heat but it's not getting better for him. I am worried that he has bursitis and tendinitis along with arthritis.

Comment from: monroehurt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I lifted a box from the side of my body. I immediately heard something crack and I felt acute pain in the center upper hip area of my back. My range of motion is extremely limited in bending over and lifting legs off the floor from the back.

SLIDESHOW

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Stor-Erik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

While on my bicycle I was hit from behind by a motorcycle and landed on my right hip and shoulder. There was instant pain in the right hip. I was sure I had something broken in the hip area, and were taken to a hospital fairly quickly. Many-X-rays were taken as the doctors didn't agree about the extent of the damage. Finally I was told that no fractures could be found, and I could go home.

Comment from: Rosaria, Published: November 17

I have been suffering with hip and knee pain which causes sleepless nights, difficulty walking after sitting, climbing stairs and having no effect from pain killers. Have just been to see physiologist and I have been told that the pain is due to one leg being slightly longer than the other.

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My hip pain starts around 4 in the morning. Once I get up out of bed it goes away. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 3, but it’s enough to wake me up. It has been 8 weeks now. I did see a doctor. He told me to take Advil every night and stretch every day. I do not like taking medicine so I have not taken this.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

My hip pain started from bike riding. The pain went from my left hip to my groin to start and now my whole left leg, knee and foot are in pain, day and night.

Published: June 28

My hip pain was caused by a fracture to the ball joint in my hip.

Published: June 15

Severe osteoarthritis is the cause of my hip pain!

Comment from: Thenley24, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I woke up about ten days ago with right lateral hip pain that extends down the front of my thigh ending up on the top of my knee. I've had a round of Prednisone and a week of physical therapy with little improvement. I was told it was a pinched sciatic nerve at the sacroiliac joint. I'm still not able to walk because of pain in leg. Lying is the only semi comfortable position. Are there any other possible diagnosis

Comment from: kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I have osteoarthritis and bone degenerative disease, which is causing me to have problems with my hips, knees, and shoulders.

Comment from: lifescence, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

My hip has worn out and I am awaiting surgery for hip replacement.

Comment from: deborah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I believe the cause of my hip pain was cycling. I have hip pain radiating from my groin area, which has been going on for more than a year.

Comment from: Kooch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Bursitis in both hips. I had a hemi-hip replacement 4 years ago in my left hip due to a bad fall. This episode of bursitis was brought on from standing 6-7 hours a day at work.

Comment from: writer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My hip pain has been diagnosed as tendonitis along with osteoarthritis, the tendonitis brought on by bowling. I understand that it is rare to have tendonitis in the hip. I experience severe pain whenever I attempt to sleep in a lying position.

Comment from: Male Published: October 21

At the age of 13 I had severe pain in the hip at night. Got native treatment for one year. after that admitted to a government hospital and diognised as bone tb, treated for two years by inserting nail through knee and putting sand bag weight and later a nail into the below the knee. After fully cured sent home. After that my socket ball of the hip joint of the leg decayed and came out as a puss. And was treated and cured my left leg got short by 3". Now I am 73 years old and getting pain in the hip while walking.

Comment from: dylansgrams, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I don't know what is causing my hip pain but the info on here was very helpful. I have been to an orthopedist ad have had x-rays and bone scan and still doctor says he finds nothing wrong but I am still in more pain than giving birth, he says take Advil, I have taken every over the counter drug there is.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW