Must Read Articles:
CoronavirusCoronaviruses are very common and typical cause cold-like symptoms. There are seven coronaviruses that infect humans, with SARS, MERS, and COVID-19 being the most notable of the seven. However, COVID-19 (Wuhan coronavirus, 2019 novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV) appears to be more contagious than MERS or SARS and appears to not only spread via respiratory secretions, but it may also spread through fecal contamination.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention TipsSevere acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is the virus that causes COVID-19. Reduce your risk of infection with the following tips: wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol; avoid touching your face if your hands aren't washed; practice social distancing (maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet).
COVID-19 VaccinesThere is currently no FDA-approved vaccine to prevent COVID-19, but one is authorized for use under an emergency designation. Pfizer-BioNTech created one in distribution Dec. 2020. As of December 12, 2020, The New York Times Coronavirus Vaccine Tracker listed 58 vaccines in clinical trials on humans, with 15 having reached the final stages of testing. At least 85 preclinical vaccines are under active investigation in animals. Possible rare side effects may include allergic reactions and a facial nerve problem called Bell's palsy, but the connection with the vaccine wasn't clear as of late 2020.
Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID-19 CoronavirusMonoclonal antibodies are synthetic proteins that imitate the immune system’s ability to fight off foreign invaders such as viruses. A monoclonal antibody medication called bamlanivimab is specifically directed against the spike protein of COVID-19 coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), and is designed to block the virus’ attachment and entry into human cells.
Expert Views and News
- One Third in US Had Been Infected by SARS-CoV-2
- Neurologic Symptoms in COVID Long-Haulers
- What We Know and Don't Know About Virus Variants
- US Surpasses 400,000 COVID-19 Deaths
- Toothbrush Disinfection May Protect Against COVID
- Pfizer Vaccine Appears to Work Against Variant
- US Hits 20 Million Cases as COVID Variant Spreads
- Deaths Top 350,000 as Vaccine Distribution Slows
- 3 Million Will Get COVID-19 Vaccine in First Week
- Moderna COVID Vaccine Shows 94.5% Efficacy
- FDA Approves Eli Lilly COVID Antibody Drug
- Is It a Cold, the Flu, Allergies, or COVID-19?
- Health Workers and Families Risk for COVID
- Hospitals Must Report COVID Data or Be Penalized
- Patients With COVID-19 Are Unwell Weeks Later
- Guidance for Elders With Diabetes During COVID
- Managing COVID-19 Risk With Common Immune Disorder
- FDA Alert on Accuracy of Rapid Test for COVID-19
- Inhaled Nitric Oxide Explored for COVID-19 Oxygenation
- Study Links Glucose Control to COVID-19 Outcomes
- Many Are Skipping Medical Care, Immunizations
- Higher Mortality Rate in Ventilated COVID-19 Patients
- 'Stealth Transmission' of COVID-19
- 'Overwhelming' Number of COVID-19 Cases Expected
- Know the Symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Flood of COVID-19 Patients Could Swamp Hospitals
- Public Health Restrictions for COVID-19
How Long Is COVID-19 Contagious? Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes:
How Long Is COVID-19 Contagious? Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Remdesivir is used to treat people with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) who are in a hospital...learn more »
Interferon beta-1a is used to treat relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis in adults (including clinically isolated syndrome, relapsing-remitting disease, and...learn more »
Interferon alfa-2b is used to treat hairy cell leukemia, malignant melanoma, follicular lymphoma, Kaposi's sarcoma caused by AIDS, and certain types of genit...learn more »
Prednisone is a steroid that reduces inflammation in the body, and also suppresses your immune system...learn more »