Tension headaches usually cause mild to moderate pain in the forehead, temples, or the back on head and/or neck.
Symptoms of tension headaches include head pain that:
- Is dull, aching, and not throbbing
- Is not usually severe
- Affects both sides of the head
- Feels like a “vice-like” tightening band-like sensation around the neck and/or head
Other symptoms that may accompany a chronic tension headache include:
- Stiff muscles between the head and neck
- Sleep problems
- Weight loss
- Loss of concentration
What Are Tension Headaches?
The two main types of tension headache include:
What Causes Tension Headaches?
Tension headaches may be caused by:
What Is the Treatment for Headaches?
Treatment for tension headaches may include:
- Non-medical treatments
- Pain relievers
- Antidepressants such as amitriptyline (for chronic tension headaches)
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Migraines and Headaches Resources